BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: [WSIG] Star Wars Rebellion vs Battle of Five Armies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Xiong ie
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Me and my SO have been enjoying games like Jaipur, Patchwork, Grand Austria Hotel and now I m looking for a game of a slightly grander scale.

I m not going to consider War of the Ring because of the difficulty in obtaining it from where I am, and am narrowing it down to Star Wars Rebellion or Battle of Five Armies.

We loved both themes, and both games looks really interesting. Any game seems to be really enjoyable, but would love to hear what others think about these 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1. "Star wars Rebellion" was my favourite game last year and it is still my favourite game. It is a grand strategic game of star wars. It is very very thematic. But because it represents several films all rolled into one each movie event is reduced to a few minutes of play.

Half the game is building space ships, building troops, battles and capturing planets. This is fairly well done. They managed to make the empire much much stronger militarily than the rebels without unbalancing the game. (by comparison...in the movies they had to reduce the stormtroopers to total incompetence to keep the movie balanced)

The other half of the game are the missions. This is the part of the game which is in my opinion spectacular. Each side has a half dozen or so characters from Star Wars and you assign each of them to missions. There is a lot of guessing and second guessing and deception. I really enjoy that part of the game.

But it is a long game. It really helps to have a place to keep it set up.

2.I have not played "battle of five armies" but it seems to be a good battle game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xiong ie
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rubberchicken wrote:
1. "Star wars Rebellion" was my favourite game last year and it is still my favourite game. It is a grand strategic game of star wars. It is very very thematic. But because it represents several films all rolled into one each movie event is reduced to a few minutes of play.

Half the game is building space ships, building troops, battles and capturing planets. This is fairly well done. They managed to make the empire much much stronger militarily than the rebels without unbalancing the game. (by comparison...in the movies they had to reduce the stormtroopers to total incompetence to keep the movie balanced)

The other half of the game are the missions. This is the part of the game which is in my opinion spectacular. Each side has a half dozen or so characters from Star Wars and you assign each of them to missions. There is a lot of guessing and second guessing and deception. I really enjoy that part of the game.

But it is a long game. It really helps to have a place to keep it set up.

2.I have not played "battle of five armies" but it seems to be a good battle game.

huhu, yea was expecting it to take a longer time. Is there a possibility that the game ends prematurely? Like finding the Rebel base by accident?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.