Subject: Thoughts on Wuk and Hanu rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Captain Facepalm
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmb
I will refer to them as Small and Big.
When I first heard of this way of enabling an odd number of players to play, I thought it's a clever idea, but unfortunately, in my gaming groups people simply HATE playing as either Big or Small.
This turns out to be the biggest (among very few) issue I have with the game - I don't get to play it as much as I'd like, because we will never play it as a group with an odd player count.

Playing the monkeys feels frustrating, you FEEL weaker than others, you have less options, you have no ultimate to look forward to.

I think the monkeys should feel like a single unit, they need to be encouraged to work together:
Maybe Big can use Throw on Small to throw it farther than any other unit, maybe Small can attack better with Big around, maybe Small can use Flee to get to Big regardless of position, etc.
I have many more thoughts on how to make the experience better, including ultimate ability ideas

I think the game is amazing, and has the potential to be even better, especially if it could truly be played without regard to the number of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in no way an expert after only one 2vs2 player game under my belt, but why not just play with two other heroes double handed instead of Wuk & Hanu? Of course the player who controls two heroes might have better coordination, but you can get around that by timing the turns so the alone player has less time to plan her turn per hero.

Or if you feel coordination is a problem still you can play in a way that the alone player first puts her cards down first and then the two player team has 30sec time to agree on a plan and play their cards. That way everybody gets to coordinate.

If I have understood right Wuk & Hanu are less powerful by design as you get two heroes for the price of one.

Oh, have you tried the tower variant where the game doesn't last that long? Maybe it would work nicely with Wuk & Hanu.

Arty probably has good pointer about the synergy of the two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arty N.
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Mordjinn wrote:
Arty probably has good pointer about the synergy of the two.

One thing I did notice during playtests is that different players tend to like different heroes and hate the others, depending on player's play style.

Personally, I had no issues playing Wuk and Hanu.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Facepalm
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the input.
Perhaps we haven't played enough games with the monkeys to really understand them. Will keep trying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.