Subject: PROBLEM rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many years ago I bought my first core set, played a game with the kids, enjoyed it and than we never actually found time to play again.

For some reason there is always something to disturb the force and of course there were other games that demanded play time aswell.
I did however continue buying more and more and......

Yesterday we decided to get some ships out of the display cabinet, re-read the rules and start afresh, with the intention to now really get into it.

It is a faily easy game but for some reason we struggled with the action phase.
I realise that somewhere on the Geek there is the perfect answer, but if I have to try and find it somewhere in all that is posted, I yet again won't find time to play.

We decided to simply start with the base set and learn the basics, again. It is all fairly simple and to my disappointment my kids soon got the hang of manouvering their TIEs.
That one sharp turn is really a pest, which in close combat makes flying your x-wing feel like flying a sack of coal.

So as said action phase was a bit confusing, I know once you get it, it'll be simple but for some reason my brain got bogged down on it.
So let's recap to see if I've got it.

As soon as I've moved I get to do one action, as shown on the card and base. It is just the one, right?

In the current game there was the barrel role, which you do as an addition to your move.
This did seem a bit odd to us, cause it seemed more logical to perform this during combat, as it's the perfect trick to get out of a hairy situation in a dog fight.

There's evade, which you use during combat to delete one hit and there's focus which you can use in offence to change an eye into a hit, or in defence to change an eye into an evade.

So just checking to see if we've got it now.

I must admit that in our enthousiasm we often forgot all about the actions, maybe also cause they were a bit alien to us.

We did find that it can be tricky to decide on when to us a focus, expecially if you fly the x-wing.
Afterall you can only use it once and to make matters worse there's two bloody TIEs going after you.

Almost forget there also is the, oh forgot the name now, the cross thing. To applie it, does it mean your target has to be to your front? I may have miss translated my rule book as I understood you can target lock {ah! that's it} an enemy that is simply within 3 distance.
Yeah I know, sounds a bit unlogical.

So target lock means I can re-role any dice I desire, right?
In a video someone claimed that target lock stays with your enemy for as long as you've not used it.
So that would mean the target lock would stay there for next turns.
If that is correct what does that mean where actions is concerned.

Does it mean that while my target lock is still hovering about, I can't do any other actions?

As said, over the years I've bought me quite a fleet and to store things I stuck it all together.
So over the years, I've accumlated quite a number of damage cards etc. which I've stored together.

On reading through the rule book however, it says there's a certain number of damage cards.
So have I done something stupid by putting them all together in the box? Should I have kept them with the sets they came with?

I've checked and asfar as I can see, there is noway of finding out with what set cards came with, or is there? So does this mean I'm waiste deep in a garbadge tube?

Final question, some cards -which maybe do not belong to the core set- were a bit of a puzzle.

Example, there is one which text tells you you've got damage to your main weapon which means you are limited to two attack dice - that's how I understood it anyway.

Now you have to role a die and if you get an explosion result you turn it over and it becomes a hit.
So the die role is a one time thing right? you don't do it every turn.

The way I used it: maybe wrong, is that I applied it as weapon damage, which messed up my attacks, but did not count it to the hull damage.
Afterall it is the weapon that is damaged.

Maybe someone can tell me if that was wrong and if so, how I should have played that one instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:

As soon as I've moved I get to do one action, as shown on the card and base. It is just the one right?

Yes.

sagitar wrote:
In the current game there was the barrel role, which you do as an addition to your move.
This did seem a bit odd to us, cause it seemed more logical to perform this during combat, as it's the perfect trick to get out of a hairy situation in a dog fight.

Yes, but pilot skill means that you have to anticipate this - barrel rolls for dodging arcs are more valuable with higher pilot skill.

sagitar wrote:
There's evade, which you use during combat to delete one hit and there's focus which you can use in offence to change an eye into a hit, or in defence to change an eye into an evade.

Yep.

sagitar wrote:
We did find that it can be tricky to decide on when to us a focus, expecially if you fly the x-wing.
Afterall you can only use it once and to make matters worse there's two bloody TIEs going after you.

Action economy is a huge part of the game.

sagitar wrote:
Almost forget there also is the, oh forgot the name now, the cross thing. To applie it, does it mean your target has to be to your front? I may have miss translated my rule book as I understood you can target lock {ah! that's it} an enemy that is simply within 3 distance.

Target locks can be applied in any direction, but you still need to be in front to shoot them.

sagitar wrote:
In a video someone claimed that target lock stays with your enemy for as long as you've not used it.

Target locks can re-roll attack dice, but you can't re-roll a die that has already been re-rolled. The maths actually works out identical to a Focus token, except Target Locks are somewhat more likely to cause crits.

Target Locks remain in place, which means you could use Target Lock + Focus on a future turn.

sagitar wrote:
Does it mean that while my target lock is still hovering about, I can't do any other actions?

Nope.

sagitar wrote:
As said, over the years I've bought me quite a fleet and to store things I stuck it all together.
So having purchased three base sets over the years, I've accumlated quite a number of damage cards which I've stored together.

On reading through the rule book however, it says there's a certain number of damage cards.
So have I done something stupid by putting them all together in the box? Should I have kept them with the sets they came with?
Or is there?

Damage decks should be separate. 33 cards,7 'Direct Hit' cards and 2 of each for the other 13 card types.

sagitar wrote:
I've checked and asfar as I can see, there is noway of finding out with what set cards came with, so does this mean I'm waiste deep in a garbadge tube?

Core set and Force Awakens damage decks have slightly different backs.

sagitar wrote:
Final question, some cards -which maybe do not belong to the core set- were a bit of a puzzle.

Example, there is one which text tells you you've got damage to your main weapon which means you are limited to two attack dice - that's how I understood it anyway.

Now you have to role a die and if you get an explosion result you turn it over and it becomes a hit.

The way I used it: maybe wrong, is that I applied it as weapon damage, which messed up my attacks, but did not count it to the hull damage.

Maybe someone can tell me if that was wrong and if so, how I should have played that one instead.

Weapon Malfunction
Ship
Reduce your primary weapon value by 1 (to a minimum of "0").
Action: Roll 1 attack die. On a Hit or Critical Hit result, flip this card facedown.

The "Action:" means that this is the ship's action for the turn - an X-wing can Focus, Target Lock, or try to flip this damage card over.

A critical is still a damage card. so it still counts against your hull, and flipping it down just makes it a regular damage card, which still counts against one of your three hull (with an X-wing).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke DeWitt
United States
Highlands Ranch
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninja

sagitar wrote:
Many years ago I bought my first core set, played a game with the kids, enjoyed it and than we never actually found time to play again.

Welcome back to X-Wing

sagitar wrote:
As soon as I've moved I get to do one action, as shown on the card and base. It is just the one, right?

Yes, one action shown on the action bar of the ship or a card that has the work Action:

sagitar wrote:

Think of it as trying to line up a shot, or get out of the way of a shot. In the macro sense it is all one aerial dog fight that is happening.

sagitar wrote:

An evade token adds an evade die result to your defensive result pool.

A focus token allows you to change all focus results on one roll of the dice, to hits if it's an attack, or, evades if it is a defensive roll.

sagitar wrote:
Yeah I know, sounds a bit unlogical.

It is your targeting computer getting a lock on a particular enemy. You get to place the red lock on an enemy ship while the matching blue lock is placed on your ship. It is not "cleaned up" at the end of the round. I like to remember to "clean the green" tokens at the end of the round.

sagitar wrote:

You are free to do actions while you have a target lock token. In fact you are not stuck with that target lock on a particular enemy ship. If it is in your best interest to lock another ship and it is legal to do so you can certainly do that as your action.

sagitar wrote:

There is a difference between the basic sets on the back. The original red box has a different back then the blue force awakens box. There are 33 damage cards in each deck. The new Force Awakens decks are numbered by x/33 in very small writing on one of the bottom corners. The original deck is not numbered but you can find a card list to help you separate them.

sagitar wrote:

I'm not sure which card you are talking about here but once it a card is flipped over then the printed effect stops.

sagitar wrote:

All cards count as damage to the ship face up or face down.

I hope this helps a bit, remember to fly casual and if you are having fun that is what it all really is about.

Luke
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that performing an action, assigning a token and spending a token are three different things.

You perform one action in the action step of the activation phase, i. e. after movement. There are some things that make you skip this, e. g. overlapping ships. There are some cards that may give you extra actions.

Performing a focus, evade or target lock action allows you to assign a token to your ship. There are some cards that may allow you to assign tokens without performing actions.

During the combat phase, you may spend a token to modify dice, e. g. an evade token to add an evade result to your dice. You get to see the attacker's roll before you decide on spending a token.

The damage cards are used to track damage. Normally, they are assigned face down and each indicates one point of hull damage. If they are turned face up, they have some sort of extra effect (in addition to the one point of damage). The extra effect is gone when they are turned face down, but they still count as one damage, of course.

In geneeral, take all cards very literal, do precisely what they say and don't do things they don't say ;-).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To have the current rules. Use the original rulebook combined with the latest faq from FFG. The faq contains a flowchart for resolving attacks. Which will greatly help for unclear situations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Domfluff wrote:

A critical is still a damage card. so it still counts against your hull, and flipping it down just makes it a regular damage card, which still counts against one of your three hull (with an X-wing).

Thanks for your help Dom.

I must confess I don't see the point to the damage card flipping.

So I get a closed * wich means its a hull damage.

If I get an open * I get to deal with this text.
As I now understand this two counts as a hull damage, so you flipping it, means you don't have to bother with whatever nuisance the text brings?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="lanewalkerxI hope this helps a bit, remember to fly casual and if you are having fun that is what it all really is about.

Luke[/q]

Thanks Luke,

I now understand there is some confusion about the damage cards.

Over the years I've bought 3 cores sets of the red kind.
cheap way to get more ships.
I've decided not to expeand my universe into the blue series.

However I've also bought all kinds of other ships small and large and now I wonder if I should keep damage cards from the other sets like the Falcon, Y wings, Tantive, etc etc. apart and not use them with the core game.

I could imagine there are cards that applie to big ships and not to fighters.
If so, I wonder if there is a way to tell them apart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only additional "damage cards" are for the Epic ships (Tantive, Transport, etc.) and have a different back.

Upgrade cards are free to mix and use as the cards allow (some are "Rebel Only", "Small ship Only", etc.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thamos von Nostria wrote:

The damage cards are used to track damage. Normally, they are assigned face down and each indicates one point of hull damage. If they are turned face up, they have some sort of extra effect (in addition to the one point of damage). The extra effect is gone when they are turned face down, but they still count as one damage, of course.

In geneeral, take all cards very literal, do precisely what they say and don't do things they don't say ;-).

Thanks for making that extra clear.

I wonder, with the whole 3D aspect of things, why they make ships collide.

Example you have ships A, B and C and this is the order they move in.

So, ship A moves, but it ends up colliding with ship B, so it has to stop where they hit.
As in imaginary real word, all ships would have moved at the same time, why not remember the position ship A would have ended up and move ship B away on its turn, moving A where it now can be.

Of course I do see the logic if the ship that gets rammed has already moved for the turn, but if it is still free to move, I think I would prefer the former way of dealing with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:

I wonder, with the whole 3D aspect of things, why they make ships collide.

It keeps the game simple and adds blocking as a tactical element.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mars
United States
Suisun City
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't think of it as the ships actually colliding... the pilot has to take quick measures to avoid colliding and thus loses their action, lanes of movement get blocked, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are starting to become familiar with the actions and after having been beaten by those TIEs a few times, I remembered how I used to deal with them.

So time to look a the first scenario, that's the one with the diplomatic transport, which unfortunatly is represented by a counter.

I wish they'd create such ships, shuttles and pods, all these extras, in 3D, it would sure add to the joy of playing.
No doubt it would not be cheap, but hey, when you are waiste deep into this game, one extra purchase doesn't really matter.

Anway, reading that scenario I noticed they don't use the usuall damage counters for hits on that transport and I couldn't help wonder why that might be.
Doesn't make a difference for the game, but I wondered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thespaceinvader -
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Angelsenior wrote:
To have the current rules. Use the original rulebook combined with the latest faq from FFG. The faq contains a flowchart for resolving attacks. Which will greatly help for unclear situations.

Nope.

To have the current rules use the TFA rulebook plus the FAQ, not the original core one. For reasons best known to themselves FFG haven't updated the rulebook in the original core set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oh cr*p updates just when you get familiar with the rules.

many and big changes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you would not notice the changes yet. They make a big difference for some pilot abilities and cards which has quite an impact on the tournament scene, but not so much for casual play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Danke Andreas,

As I don't play tournements anyway, I can simply stick to the core rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thespaceinvader -
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
sagitar wrote:
oh cr*p updates just when you get familiar with the rules.

many and big changes?

A total of about 20 changes to card text, most of which are clarifications rather than balance changes. Maybe 6 or 7 major gameplay changes to cards, most notably Emperor Palpatine, Zuckuss crew, Manaroo, Tactician (and you're unlikely to buy an un-errated copy of Tactician now as it's been reprinted several times since the errata).

A few updates and clarifications to the rules, and in particular to timings during the attack sequence.

Mostly it's clarifications on how cards are supposed to work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.