Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the near future I may be in the position to buy and/or design an heirloom quality gaming table with vault and I'm trying to think of the advantages and disadvatages of a coffee table style vs a dining table. A coffee table seems more conducive to spontaneous play as opposed to asking people to move to the dining room, but leaning over a coffee table can be harder on older backs (but I suppose I could rearrange comfy couches in an ergonomically-friendly way, but there goes the spontaneity thing, sigh... First-World problems amiright? ), but a dinning room table seems closer to what most people are accostomed.

Anyway, I'd like to get your experiences of each as I've never played on a table with a vault feature. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabor B.
Hungary
Straight outta Borsod
flag msg tools
"Virtue is nothing else than right reason."
badge
Goatham.
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a vaulted coffee table and a regular dining table. 90% of the time we play on the dining table (much more comfortable, and also has more tablespace). When we play on the coffee table, we use the vault in ~1/5th of the time, and even then, it's just because of the card friendly felt surface inside, not becuse of its vaulted nature. Although, i can see the possible advantages of having a long break in a game and covering it, so everything stays - but it just doesn't happen here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbert Vervuurt
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scottgun wrote:
In the near future I may be in the position to buy and/or design an heirloom quality gaming table with vault and I'm trying to think of the advantages and disadvatages of a coffee table style vs a dining table. A coffee table seems more conducive to spontaneous play as opposed to asking people to move to the dining room, but leaning over a coffee table can be harder on older backs (but I suppose I could rearrange comfy couches in an ergonomically-friendly way, but there goes the spontaneity thing, sigh... First-World problems amiright? ), but a dinning room table seems closer to what most people are accostomed.

Anyway, I'd like to get your experiences of each as I've never played on a table with a vault feature. Thanks.

I have a comfy couch, but no matter how comfy the couch is, you will never be able to play the game and sit back in the couch. I get back aches whenever I sit forward too long on a couch (or lean forward when fixing my bike for example), so gaming on the coffee table is only possible for me if a game doesn't require constant looking at the board (Tales of the Arabian Nights, Sherlock).

If I were to build a table, it'd be the dining room table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have a bad back? Playing games at the dining table is the only option.

Do you *want* a bad back? Playing on a coffee table may be for you...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hoare
United Kingdom
Chippenham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rvervuurt wrote:
I have a comfy couch, but no matter how comfy the couch is, you will never be able to play the game and sit back in the couch. I get back aches whenever I sit forward too long on a couch (or lean forward when fixing my bike for example), so gaming on the coffee table is only possible for me if a game doesn't require constant looking at the board (Tales of the Arabian Nights, Sherlock).

If I were to build a table, it'd be the dining room table.

Another couple of factors in favour of a dining table. It's nicer to stand at. For large games, watching a game in progress or simply stretching one's back it can be good to stand. An opposing reason is that a coffee table might be too low for convenience for a wheelchair user.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing at a usual dining height table is way more comfortable and convenient.

Quote:
A coffee table seems more conducive to spontaneous play

I think this only makes sense if you're wanting to play some light party games without much board action, so e.g. Taboo or other quiz games, at the coffee table (which I doubt you're intending).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. So far every response is confirming what I suspected: that a conventional table with chairs is proper for serious gaming. I especially like the part about standing which quite frankly reminds me that at game night just because everyone else is sitting, doesn't mean I have to if I start getting uncomfortable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard Hustle
United States
Sharonville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mmmmm...delicious cheese coney...
mbmbmbmbmb
The dining table is the way to go. As others have said coffee tables are good for holding your coffee, but bad for backs.

If you often play long, multi-session games, and vaulted dining table would be your best option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lampeter
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you are already a dedicated coffee table gamer, I can't see making a nice vaulted coffee table causing anything but regret.

That said, I do remember seeing a thread where the guy had made a custom coffee table with a mechanism that raised the entire play surface to comfortable couch level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

This person made a table that functions as both. Maybe it can help inspire you:

My coffee-gaming-table. Or coffee-table for gaming. With pictures

~V

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.