Subject: Wargames dominating the BGG session reports rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've noticed that time and time again, the session reports box is full of wargames. Other types of games aren't even close. The reviews section can get over half full with wargames from time to time as well. Today, there are only a few non-wargames in the 10 most recent session reports.

Plus the "hot" (i.e. thumbed by BGG users) threads are also dominated by wargames. There's only one non-wargame, and it's at the bottom. Pretty amazing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn't surprising. Wargames generate narratives that can be interesting to recount and read, whereas most other game genres are generally dry exercises in point gathering. An exception would be Thematic/ameritrash type games, that also generate interesting stories. I like other types of games, but while I've written a lot of session reports on the wargames I've played, I can't see writing a session report on my last play of Spendor or Pandemic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Well, there are also genuinely exciting dramatic interesting session reports for abstract strategy games (e.g. Chess, Go, Shogi, etc), but if one does not know the game well, one cannot really grok or appreciate them.

Whereas with a wargame (or other game simulating some concrete situation/story), one doesn't need to know the particular game: one can enjoy reading the story (which the game simulated) without worrying about the details of the game rules or exactly why/how specific events happened in the session report.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The pirate's life for me!
United States
flag msg tools
pineapples are in my head
badge
"There is a Heppy Land Furfur A-waay"
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if this is also due to the variety of scenarios wargames offer.

For instance, I enjoy playing Settlers of Catan and Agricola. But, the games tend to play out very similarly each time I play. I feel like I am perfectly a "best strategy", which is in part due to the euro-mechanics of the games. But also, there are no scenarios, there is only the game (maybe plus an expansion or two). So each game is setup in roughly the same way.

In wargames, you have one or both of the following:

-Multiple scenarios, which when combined with random combat mechanics, result in a different game most of the time you play. I can play ASL for another 20 years, and still not play all the scenarios, or even come close.

-Games that play out over a long time. So, you play a game that lasts a few hours, presumably because the decisions you're making in hour 10 are different from the decisions you make in hour 1. i.e., I think a 10-hour game of Catan would be a nightmare, you would accrue more and more VPs, but the game would become very bland and repetitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wargamers rock!

(and one of those session reports is mine )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Whereas with a wargame (or other game simulating some concrete situation/story), one doesn't need to know the particular game: one can enjoy reading the story (which the game simulated) without worrying about the details of the game rules or exactly why/how specific events happened in the session report.

Well...ida know...a lot of the session reports are blow-by-blow recounting of the game's attacks and retreats. Not that many of them are stories. Honestly if I know the wargame, I like knowing what's going on at the detail level. It's like I'm playing the game, or watching a football game on television.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
jumbit wrote:
russ wrote:

Well...ida know...a lot of the session reports are blow-by-blow recounting of the game's attacks and retreats. Not that many of them are stories. Honestly if I know the wargame, I like knowing what's going on at the detail level. It's like I'm playing the game, or watching a football game on television.

To be clear, I certainly agree that if you DO know the game, then the report is MORE useful and interesting due to knowing the rules and details.

But EVEN IF someone does NOT know the game, many session reports can still be entertaining fun to read. (At least to me! I've read a variety of wargame session reports for games I don't know the rules of.)

Whereas someone who does not know the rules of (e.g.) Shogi would probably not get so much out of a Shogi game replay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Mein Luftkissenfahrzeug ist voller Aale
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm holding out for a big batch of solo Yahtzee sessions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
TonyClifton wrote:

Just you wait, I've got the dice and I've got the time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys will love it when I post my Tic Tac Toe AARs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
billyboy wrote:

When you do, can you follow the pattern some people use, a separate Session Report for each turn?

Session 1: X move
Session 2: O move
etc

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
blockhead wrote:
billyboy wrote:

When you do, can you follow the pattern some people use, a separate Session Report for each turn?

Session 1: X move
Session 2: O move
etc

shake

Great idea!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'm holding out for AARs on Rock-Paper-Scissors-Lizard-Spock.

As to the OP and with all affection and due respect to non-wargame board gamers: Wargames are interesting on a variety of levels, especially comparing the treatment different games give the same subject. Most board games are fun little things, but with no depth.

Anyone for a replay of checkers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
As to the OP and with all affection and due respect to non-wargame board gamers: Wargames are interesting on a variety of levels, especially comparing the treatment different games give the same subject. Most board games are fun little things, but with no depth.

Many abstract strategy games, including checkers, have plenty of depth, and I've read interesting session reports for them. (And I'd say that classic abstracts like Go and Chess and Shogi have significantly more "depth" than typical wargames). (Rule complexity is not depth.) To be clear: I say this as someone who greatly enjoys both wargames and abstract strategy games; it's not meant as a ding against wargames.

To me, it's clearly not the "depth" which makes wargames or wargame session reports entertaining; it's the story/situation being simulated by the wargame.

But perhaps you're using the admittedly nebulous overloaded word "depth" to mean something different from what I usually see it used as, i.e. strategic depth. E.g. how many games do you have to play to advance to a high level of skill? How big is the rating gap between a newbie and a top player?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thompson
United States
Taylor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Old Ironsides being overflown by the Blue Angels
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:

Only if it's a recap of the match between World Champion Checkers player Newell Banks and Baseball Hall of Famer Christy Mathewson, played in 1907.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Come on, Euros are good for session reports, too, people just don't write them as often. Frigging Amun-Re has the best session report on the whole internet and no wargame (or any other game, really) comes close so far!

Still I wargame mainly for the narrative so I basically agree they lend themselves to reports.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
TonyClifton wrote:

Ya know...if I had a boxed version of the game here....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
junkers doll
msg tools
How much of this is influenced by algorithm-thingamies that effectively show you "more of what you like"? As in, if all your clicks on the site go to wargames/the associated forums, you're more likely to see wargames pop up in these lists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. The top thumbed posts go to the top and slowly decay. Why would we assume facebook's algorithms are in effect at a completely different website?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
junkers doll
msg tools
Not assuming that at all, because I don't use facebook and don't know or care how their algorithms work. But lots of sites use behavioural data to influence what users see, and I was curious about how it all works here on BGG - just wanted to know if it skewed the results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy M
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
that Amun-Re sesh report is the emperors new clothes of this website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.