Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish we could get some info on this. I'd like to buy MV, but I heard the base game just lacked enough content to keep you coming back, and the VoM expansion didn't fix that. It's a little odd the pre-order is for April and there is no info out there yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read that it would include leaders as part of your starting deck but I don't know much more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
I've read that it would include leaders as part of your starting deck but I don't know much more.

Same

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From https://www.alderac.com/mystic_vale/vale-of-the-wild/

Leaders (they look like they replace a card?)

I find the art extremely awkward. Overall, it's also prety expensive. $30 for 80 cards, that's a lot to ask and the reason why I didn't purchase the previous expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's $21 on CSI. VoM is also $20. I can get a copy of MV for $20.

I really want to try MV, but I'm scared it will be boring, swingy, and lack strategy. I'm also dumping my wallet into Thunderstone Quest on KS, and I own a few Ascensions. Too many deckbuilders is a bad thing.

But I know my wife would appreciate the art.

Maybe VotW won't be enough to pull me into the MV world. Maybe I'll wait for his new card-building game.

Wishy washy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinRRizzo wrote:
It's $21 on CSI. VoM is also $20. I can get a copy of MV for $20.

I really want to try MV, but I'm scared it will be boring, swingy, and lack strategy. I'm also dumping my wallet into Thunderstone Quest on KS, and I own a few Ascensions. Too many deckbuilders is a bad thing.

But I know my wife would appreciate the art.

Maybe VotW won't be enough to pull me into the MV world. Maybe I'll wait for his new card-building game.

Wishy washy.

Boring: it's not but there is an extremely long downtime between your turns, especially against new players and combo players.

Swingy: Oh bow it sure is! Games always end with a 50 points difference between players, and that's for a game with a 23 points pool for 2 players!

Lacking strategy: there aren't ten different ways to win. Either you cull your deck, build a massive combo and pull it out two times, or you deplete the VP pool using small cards before the other pull their combo. That's it. Combos are fun to pull out though but since the game ends so early...

Given what you just said, I don't think you need this game. I purchased it because I had a big discount, enjoyed it for 20 plays, and can't stand it anymore I have too many deckbuilders as well and this one isn't above the others at all. The push your luck aspect is fun, combos are devastating, but the complete lack of interaction is annoying, and the fact that the card you need is not in the position you need is frustrating. Plus having 3 different spirit symbols means that you sometimes will be stuck not being able to purchase Vale cards.

Focus on Thunderstone Quest and try Aeon's End instead. That one's extremely good and will be back on KS tomorrow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Growley
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
The leaders go on an empty card before the start of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marosvölgyi Péter
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"I find the art extremely awkward. Overall, it's also prety expensive. $30 for 80 cards, that's a lot to ask and the reason why I didn't purchase the previous expansion."

My thoughts exactly. Previous expansion had maybe 72 cards (which is third of the base game), and it was around 30$ here, while the base game is just above 40$...with NO new mechanics at all, no braincells were destroyed when it was created, as they are extra cards only. I was so excited when i first heard about the vale of magic expansion, but despite i have enough money and i wanted it badly, i didnt buy it. And trust me, this is a one of a kind thing.

I cant choose if its outrageous/ridiculous/hilarious...anyway its interesting pricing, thats for sure. Hope they will do better in future.

And to be positive: I like the idea of leaders, not sure about eclipse advancements, i have to see them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BC Wendel
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinRRizzo wrote:

I really want to try MV, but I'm scared it will be boring, swingy, and lack strategy.

Wishy washy.

I felt the same way. I went back and forth with it for some time, but finally one day recently I had a Barnes & Noble coupon with nothing else I wanted, so I used it to picked up Mystic Vale.

I was worried there wouldn't be enough game, but from what I have played I quite enjoy it. Seeing what combination you are smart/lucky enough to put together on your cards is pretty cool.

There is no player interaction, but my games have not been boring. I'm not sure how swingy it is, but I have figured out a few strategies in the games I've played. I'm not saying there is a ton of depth for the most hardcore game players, but for me there was enough that I look forward to playing it more.

Another game I felt wishy washy about was Evolution, for mostly the same reasons, and it ended up being a game I really enjoyed.

So I would say for $21 it's worth a shot, but I can't guarantee you'll like it. I just know I was pleasantly surprised.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KevinMask wrote:
JustinRRizzo wrote:

I really want to try MV, but I'm scared it will be boring, swingy, and lack strategy.

Wishy washy.

I felt the same way. I went back and forth with it for some time, but finally one day recently I had a Barnes & Noble coupon with nothing else I wanted, so I used it to picked up Mystic Vale.

I was worried there wouldn't be enough game, but from what I have played I quite enjoy it. Seeing what combination you are smart/lucky enough to put together on your cards is pretty cool.

There is no player interaction, but my games have not been boring. I'm not sure how swingy it is, but I have figured out a few strategies in the games I've played. I'm not saying there is a ton of depth for the most hardcore game players, but for me there was enough that I look forward to playing it more.

Another game I felt wishy washy about was Evolution, for mostly the same reasons, and it ended up being a game I really enjoyed.

So I would say for $21 it's worth a shot, but I can't guarantee you'll like it. I just know I was pleasantly surprised.

I completely agree and it isn't that swingy unless 1 gamer plays very well and the other gamer plays horribly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Garner

Summerville
South Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Miniature Market just got it in today! $20.09

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marosvölgyi Péter
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It will arrive tomorrow to the local store (Hungary), 9990huf = 35usd....thats A LOT for a small expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maross wrote:
It will arrive tomorrow to the local store (Hungary), 9990huf = 35usd....thats A LOT for a small expansion.

I agree that the expansions for this are too expensive. While the US seem to have decent price, for me it's around $35 as well. I'm not paying that for a game I feel lukewarm about. Shame because I'd love to try the expansions and see if they can bring my rating back up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marosvölgyi Péter
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same feelings here...although i love the base game, and i would love to try the expansions, it simply doesnt worth it, i can buy a new game at this price. Well, thats it, ill stop complaining :).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The prices must be insane outside of the USA. The base game and both expansions are $20 here. I personally plan to wait until someone is tired of their "Mystic Vale bundle", and I will buy it from them on ebay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinRRizzo wrote:
The prices must be insane outside of the USA. The base game and both expansions are $20 here. I personally plan to wait until someone is tired of their "Mystic Vale bundle", and I will buy it from them on ebay.

You must add shipping to anything you buy, and that's ranging from $10 to $30.
Ordering from CSI is $80 shipping though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Wheeler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Boring it isn't, it's one of my top 5 games. As you do not use all the cards the game changes every time, as you buy different cards to fill out the cards you have. Also with games of this type as someone buys a card it gets replaced and you hope you have enough currency in you hand of cards to buy the cards you want (if someone else before you doesn't buy it first). Once everyone knows what they are doing it's quite fast pace and the expansions bring a lot of replay-ability to the game. The only issue our game group has is that the game is 2 to 4 players only. Its a fantastic and different game but while it is a deck builder you never have more than twenty cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.