Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin
Australia
Terrey Hills
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi, am currently pledging for the following and was wondering what you guys think, if this seems like a good combo or if you think I am missing 1 or 2 crucial expansions which will round these off?

Gambler's Chest
Dung Beetle Knight
Dragon King
Flower Knight
Gorm
Spidicules
Nightmare Ram
Abyssal Woods
Honeycomb Weaver

I was deliberating on adding either Screaming God or Ivory Dragon, but as I have no interest in getting the First Hero expansion, I figured that I wouldn't be using them much and at the worst case could pick them up in years to come...

I considered the Frogdog, but wasn't sure if I had an overkill of Level 1 monsters with Gorm and the Honeycomb weaver as well...

I also was not sure if perhaps I should be adding a nemesis to this. But believe that the GC contains 2 more, so wondered whether I should be okay...

Finally I debated getting the Sunstalker, but thought maybe it was overkill if I was getting the Dragon King expansion...

Any opinions much appreciated. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Fox
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, if after ready the reviews of old expansions, and reading the multiple threads about addons and what new expansions to get, you can't make up your mind, i would suggest not getting the game. You have to make hard descision in this game and stick to to them if you wush to finish a campaign .Just my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nuke_morningstar
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
badge
No Clear Mind
mbmbmbmbmb
I would remove Nightmare Ram from the list. Not because it won't be awesome, but because picking a good 1.0 expansion sounds more cost/time-efficient since you are only going for a single 1.5 campaign (Abyssal Woods). Why wait years for a single quarry to arrive?

Personally, I would get Sunstalker if I were in your shoes. (and I would consider getting either Manhunter or Slenderman second) Even if you completely ignore "People of the Sun", Sunstalker as a quarry will give you quality play-time, and much sooner. You already have the best picks from 1.0 expansions EXCEPT Sunstalker. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nuke_morningstar
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
badge
No Clear Mind
mbmbmbmbmb
godzilla999666 wrote:
Honestly, if after ready the reviews of old expansions, and reading the multiple threads about addons and what new expansions to get, you can't make up your mind, i would suggest not getting the game. You have to make hard descision in this game and stick to to them if you wush to finish a campaign .Just my opinion.

I respectfully disagree. This is an expensive game and people are trying to make up their minds on how to invest. People are excited and want to discuss, and this should be the right place. OP has also posted his/her reasoning and the train of thought, so threads like this should be perfectly fine and the discussion here contributes others.

So the real life decision on how much to spend and speculating on what could one enjoy sounds (to me at least) harder than any in-game decision one can make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Australia
Terrey Hills
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
godzilla999666 wrote:

Thanks for your useful opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crimsonsun God
United Kingdom
Canterbury
flag msg tools
Sunstalker has fantastic reviews, though with DBK and DK you may be fairly well covered for node 3/4 monsters to hunt so I'm not sure it required by any stretch but the reviews have it as one of the best expansions thus far.

I think you've got a great spread overall, so if you want to add anything more don't worry about where its going to fit as much as if there's a concept you really like and go with that, otherwise stick with what you have and pick up things that grab you once they've been released (or if we are lucky and the pledge manager reopens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I believe in a thing called Death
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
godzilla999666 wrote:

Just a touch on the mean/impatient side. Just my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would recommend holding off on Nightmare Ram. Personally for me it is my favorite model, but I did not pledge for it in the long run. You'll get it Wave 4 with Abyssal Woods so how much will you play it Right away? Plus it's Node 3 (I think) and you have choices already there. I held off on all Inverted Mountain expansions and went all in for AW. If it comes out and the reviews are outstanding for it's dungeon crawling mechanics and it can stand alone then get it at that moment. Just my two cents.

P.S. I went Screaming God, First Hero. Like the idea of a mini campaign just to hunt the Screaming God on the side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Side track a bit. Do you guys think the pathfinders are worth it? I know it's new just wanna have an update on what you think.
And how about OP? Do they appeal to you? Gameplay wise sounds pretty neat to me because they're like a total different team possibly with different kinds of development?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you have a great selection there. Screaming God and Ivory Dragon are both great choices, but the Ivory Dragon is more impressive. Gorm is the iconic monster. Sunstalker is a lot of content.

If I were changing anything, I'd drop the Weaver and Ram for Sunstalker and/or Ivory Dragon.

Of course, if I could get everything...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italic Font
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sunstalker is a good quarry in the Dragon King expansion campaign
Dragon King is a good quarry in the Sunstalker Expansion Campaign

Sunstalker has the second best campaign and is one of the top 3 quarries to hunt overall (Gorm and Dung Beetle Knight are the other two).

Also it arrives in Wave 2

Sunstalker is an easy choice here imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sunstalker is one of, if not the best expansions. I would pick it over Dragon King honestly. In fact that is what I did when the expansions went up for sale in the shop (picked SS over DK).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh McDermott
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keep honeycomb weaver.

When Abysmal Woods is sent to your house, you'll need Flower Knight and Spidicules. Nice job, great work.

From the kickstarter update: optional special interactions with the campaign using honeycomb weaver and Dung Beetle Knight. I would hate wondering what awesomeness I'm missing out on here..

Please tell me you are getting the 1.5 upgrade or Core game as well..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Australia
Terrey Hills
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi guys, thank you so much to those of you who took the time to post helpful comments on this thread. I owned the core game previously, but sold it when the new KS campaign started, and never owned any of the expansions. I have wrangled a lot with this pledge, trying to stick to a budget, which is difficult, as all of the add ons sound so tempting.

I think I've finally decided on the following:

Wave 1
------
Core Game
Gambler's Chest

Wave 2
------
Dung Beetle Knight
Dragon King
Flower Knight
Gorm
Spidicules
Manhunter
Sunstalker

Wave 4
------
Abyssal Woods
Honeycomb Weaver
Ivory Dragon
Death Armor
Nightmare Ram

Pretty happy with that I reckon. the only one I was considering losing was the nightmare ram, due to the comments on this thread, but find myself loathe to do so because the dungeon aspect sounds so cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angela Collier
United States
Plattsburgh
New York
flag msg tools
As a new buyer I struggled a bunch with add-on choices, in the end said screw it and went whole hog and got the gamers lantern pledge level with all the new and old expansions, but if I had to be picky your choices are pretty good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.