7 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » Rules

Subject: is the "habitat" rule just for theme? Can I ignore it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Spruce
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm the imperial player for a campaign against three rebel players. I'm playing the campaign in a very casual way (more like a DM than an opposition player) trying to keep the game fun and exciting for the rebels and are more than happy to see them narrowly squeak a win during the last turn of a mission).

A while back I bouught the hoth expansion pack and painted one of the wampas to resemble sully from film monsters inc. I put him on a swampy looking base and reasoned he could be a distant genetic cousin of the wampa that lived on Hoth.

So the next mission is "Incoming" from the core campaign and I'm wondering if there's any game reason not to inculde my Sully as one of my open groups? My reasoning is maybe the listening post the mission refers to is on a planet that Sully inhabits. Except the generic wampa card says "habitat snow". Can I just ignore that and include him anyway?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever you agree with your Rebel players.

There is an agenda card (Relocated) which lets you ignore the Habitat restrictions for a mission.

I see Habitat a lot like the time periods - it's for theme. It's a nice idea but not flexible and with just a few groups having it usually not worth the trouble.

Incoming would not be the best mission to argue theme for getting to field Wampas though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Rodrigues
Brazil
Guarulhos
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I guess it is your game and you can do whatever you want with your house rules in order to give the game a specific feeling you are looking for. The intention for the "habitat" keyword, the way I see it, is for people don't see creatures living where they wasn't suppose to live, that's the only reason.

There is nothing that would break the game mechanically if you use it there. In fact, I recently played this mission on my campaign and I did use Bantha Rider, because I had the agenda card that ignores the "habitat" keyword. The game went just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Spruce
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:

Incoming would not be the best mission to argue theme for getting to field Wampas though.

Any specific reason you would say that?

The way I was justifying it in my head was that the misson briefing refers to the rebels crash landing some distance away from the listening post and being pursued by a battalion of troops. I figured a battalion of troops crashing through the undergrowth would disturb a lot of indigenous wildlife (a bit like *shudder* the droid army on Naboo near the start of the phantom menace) and that maybe an angry wampa-like creature has been disturbed from its cave and just wants to smash anything in its path that looks like a threat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just my opinion with fighting mainly happening interior tiles. Maybe if you switch some of the exterior tiles with corresponding snow tiles you could make it more appropriate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
Just my opinion with fighting mainly happening interior tiles. Maybe if you switch some of the exterior tiles with corresponding snow tiles you could make it more appropriate.

"OK, the mission card says this mission takes place on Tattooine, but we're going to replace some of these desert tiles with snow tiles. There's more than one climate on Tattooine, right? Right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The story missions do not say where they are placed though, like side missions are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.