Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Poskitt
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone,

I have just purchased a copy of A:NR here in the UK. After having read many posts where the advantages of a second core set have been explained, I have the opportunity to pick up the cards from a 2012 printing of the core set.

Is there any differences on the print runs from the original print run in 2012 and the current print runs? Should I go ahead and be confident that there is no discernable difference between the two sets of card? (They will all be sleeved).

Many thanks in advance for any comments you may have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Doug,

I bought my cores at the same time, but I can say the printing consistency with the cards has been very good throughout including the data packs. So, I would imagine the same holds true between cores printed in 2012 versus the current printing.

I will also add this has been true through all of Fantasy Flights Living Card Games. Besides Android Netrunner I also own Star Wars, Game of Thrones and Arkham Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
I've bought two cores far apart in time, and they're definitely different printings because of the box size. I haven't been able to spot any difference between the cards - but I always use art sleeves anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Billings
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
there are some minor inconsistencies I've found:

• the cardstock, cut, and print quality of the alt-art promo cards and draft cards is different from the Chinese-printed regular product, due to differences in the Print-On-Demand facilities. This has gotten substantially better over time, to the point where newer product is of little concern. But the earliest promos I've actually taken a razor blade to trim half a millimeter of excess.
• Occasional variations in color saturations on the fronts of cards (never the backs.) Noticeable mostly on some Jinteki cards with a darker red tone.
• the 2016 Championship Decks are cut a fraction of a millimeter narrower than regular cards.

All of these issues are easily handled by any opaque card sleeve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimwalker wrote:

• the cardstock, cut, and print quality of the alt-art promo cards and draft cards is different from the Chinese-printed regular product, due to differences in the Print-On-Demand facilities. This has gotten substantially better over time, to the point where newer product is of little concern. But the earliest promos I've actually taken a razor blade to trim half a millimeter of excess.
• Occasional variations in color saturations on the fronts of cards (never the backs.) Noticeable mostly on some Jinteki cards with a darker red tone.
• the 2016 Championship Decks are cut a fraction of a millimeter narrower than regular cards.

Very good to know for people who own these products, but just to make this entirely clear for the OP: None of these have anything to do with the core set.

We still don't own a second core set (and the OP should think really hard if they want to double up on a lot of unnecessary cards right now or rather get a deluxe expansion or Android: Netrunner – Terminal Directive instead, once it's released), but consistency between the different expansions from different years is 100%.

Edit: This is assuming you don't yet own any of the expansions, OP: Really, I'd advise you to get some expansions first. Much more fun than all those redundant copies of mediocre cards that buying another core right now will give you.
The deluxe expansion for your favourite factions is great, and Android: Netrunner – Terminal Directive is specifically marketed as a second step for people to get into the game more. It has cards for four of the seven factions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gswp wrote:
Grimwalker wrote:

Very good to know for people who own these products, but just to make this entirely clear for the OP: None of these have anything to do with the core set.

We still don't own a second core set (and the OP should think really hard if they want to double up on a lot of unnecessary cards right now or rather get a deluxe expansion or Android: Netrunner – Terminal Directive instead, once it's released), but consistency between the different expansions from different years is 100%.

Edit: This is assuming you don't yet own any of the expansions, OP: Really, I'd advise you to get some expansions first. Much more fun than all those redundant copies of mediocre cards that buying another core right now will give you.
The deluxe expansion for your favourite factions is great, and Android: Netrunner – Terminal Directive is specifically marketed as a second step for people to get into the game more. It has cards for four of the seven factions.

Thank you for your post. I do in fact have all the Deluxe expansions. From what I have seen so far - just started learning the game recently - this is a fascinating game and I have enjoyed learning to play it very much. The opportuinity is for me to purchase just the cards from a fellow BGGer and from what I have read here, having those extra cards means a better experience down the line (I could be wrong as there is considerable debate on whether one should just buy one or two core sets).

That said, my sincere appreciation to all those who have posted in reply to my question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
dougposkitt wrote:
Thank you for your post. I do in fact have all the Deluxe expansions. From what I have seen so far - just started learning the game recently - this is a fascinating game and I have enjoyed learning to play it very much. The opportuinity is for me to purchase just the cards from a fellow BGGer and from what I have read here, having those extra cards means a better experience down the line (I could be wrong as there is considerable debate on whether one should just buy one or two core sets).

That said, my sincere appreciation to all those who have posted in reply to my question.

I think the big question is whether you want to keep more than one or two decks made for each side (corp / runner). Having a second core set (which I do) provides a lot of the basic cards you'll need to do that. I also bought the 2015 championship decks, which provided extra jackson howards and a few other cards that I use a lot.

But for me, it was usually that I'd rather have another data pack with new cards than more duplicates of cards I already have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wombat929 wrote:
dougposkitt wrote:

I think the big question is whether you want to keep more than one or two decks made for each side (corp / runner). Having a second core set (which I do) provides a lot of the basic cards you'll need to do that. I also bought the 2015 championship decks, which provided extra jackson howards and a few other cards that I use a lot.

But for me, it was usually that I'd rather have another data pack with new cards than more duplicates of cards I already have.

Yeah. The one thing I have already worked out is that there is a heck of a lot of data packs out there :) Cue wallet cowering in the corner at the very mention of the idea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Billings
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dougposkitt wrote:
Yeah. The one thing I have already worked out is that there is a heck of a lot of data packs out there Cue wallet cowering in the corner at the very mention of the idea

It's not all that bad. I would say to explore the deckbuilding possibilities within the core set, then get Terminal Directive when it comes out. Then just buy the new packs as the come out.

Print paper proxies of any cards from the back catalogue you find interesting, since the entire card pool is tracked by online databases. Don't sweat the cycles that are rotating in 4-5 months. You'll quickly get a sense of which packs and deluxes from the catalog would be your best buys and you should feel *no* obligation to buy everything sooner than is practical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimwalker wrote:
dougposkitt wrote:
Yeah. The one thing I have already worked out is that there is a heck of a lot of data packs out there Cue wallet cowering in the corner at the very mention of the idea

It's not all that bad. I would say to explore the deckbuilding possibilities within the core set, then get Terminal Directive when it comes out. Then just buy the new packs as the come out.

Print paper proxies of any cards from the back catalogue you find interesting, since the entire card pool is tracked by online databases. Don't sweat the cycles that are rotating in 4-5 months. You'll quickly get a sense of which packs and deluxes from the catalog would be your best buys and you should feel *no* obligation to buy everything sooner than is practical.

In many of the various posts I have made so many fellow gamers have advised me to get Terminal Directive. What is it about this that I am given this advice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
dougposkitt wrote:
What is it about this that I am given this advice?

Terminal Directive simply has a nice variety of cards (we know about half of them so far, and it's about the size of a typical deluxe). It complements the core very well, giving you more options for four factions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Billings
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dougposkitt wrote:
Grimwalker wrote:
dougposkitt wrote:

In many of the various posts I have made so many fellow gamers have advised me to get Terminal Directive. What is it about this that I am given this advice?

It's purposely-designed and positioned to be a second purchase for new players or lapsed players who never went beyond the core set. It should be out in hopefully about a month's time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.