Subject: We've won the first three months in a row.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt
United States
Louisville
Mississippi
flag msg tools
So, this game is awesome. We have four very competent adults playing and each game has come down to "if the next card is infect, we lose, if it's not, we win" type scenarioes. These games have all been super close, but we've won each time.

How rare is winning the first three months? Are we cheating? I've read the rules so many times, and read the forum FAQ. I noticed I was using the medic's connected city action without using an action, but that's about it.

Please don't say any spoilers like "don't worry, you'll lose."
We're pretty proud of ourselves right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first 3 months are definitely the easiest. It gets harder starting in both April and May, and I don't think it's that uncommon to get through the first 3 months unscathed. I know we did it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on doing well, at four players!

From reading other posts, I don't think it's so uncommon to get that far, and have no reason to think you're cheating. I haven't heard about anyone getting all the way through without losing a game yet.

The base Pandemic game is tuned so you can win more than half the games with competent play. If you think about it in terms of chance, it's not so surprising to get three heads in a row on a loaded coin flip.

In our group, we felt like we learned a lot about how to play vanilla Pandemic over the course of the series. We were playing a lot more attention to doing well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dthurston wrote:

I haven't heard about anyone getting all the way through without losing a game yet.

There are actually several that have reported undefeated seasons. Of course, that's only a handful out of the thousands that have played the game.....so pretty rare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Louisville
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Good to know! Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Louisville
Mississippi
flag msg tools
dthurston wrote:
Congratulations on doing well, at four players!

From reading other posts, I don't think it's so uncommon to get that far, and have no reason to think you're cheating. I haven't heard about anyone getting all the way through without losing a game yet.

The base Pandemic game is tuned so you can win more than half the games with competent play. If you think about it in terms of chance, it's not so surprising to get three heads in a row on a loaded coin flip.

In our group, we felt like we learned a lot about how to play vanilla Pandemic over the course of the series. We were playing a lot more attention to doing well.

Appreciate your knowledge, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
This poll is for the single question "During which month did you lose your first Pandemic Legacy game?" and has 206 responses. You might find it interesting, though it's also a very slight spoiler as to which months various players are more likely to find challenging for one reason or another.

Answering your specific question: 40% of teams make it through January, February and March without losing a game. But some of those will have been playing with 2-3 players, which is a little easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Y
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
We got through the first three months unscathed as well, losing in April. However, we misinterpreted the goal situation in March: We forgot about the mandatory goal and accomplished both optional goals. I'm not sure whether we would have won March if we had done it correctly.

In the GDC talk, the creators outline the narrative arc of the whole year. (http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1024300/Board-Game-Design-Day-T...) Knowing the implications of that (but not the details) took some of the blow off our first loss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yer the first few months are quite winnable short of some unlucky epidemic card timing. The problem with doing so well, is that you will now have no funded event cards for April.

The special effects on these cards, coupled with having more in the deck due to losses which in effect gives you a few extra rounds, makes all the difference to keep the winning streak going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Whitney Baker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I just played the first session of January last night with three other folks and we had the same situation -- literally down to the wire depending on the next card pulled (as our medic was standing by with 5 cards ready to cure on the next turn). We were at infection rate 4. The last card flipped set off a chain reaction of our C0da disease and pushed us over the outbreak limit. But before we pulled the infections, we spent about twenty minutes going over every possible alternative because we KNEW that city was coming up. It was probably the most tense and stressful 20 minutes of boardgaming I have ever experienced.

Bit bummed we lost, but also, what a way to heighten the stakes on a narrative-ish game! Also, sorry middle east. We've already got 2 rioting cities in you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.