Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We've encountered several event cards now - City and Road - where we get a better result by having a certain Character class in our party. Except I'm only playing this game with my wife and I controlling one character each, or a weekly 3 player game. We still haven't retired any characters yet.

Just looking at the math, it seems to me that larger parties have greater "odds" of getting favorable results from the event cards. Most of these cards are one-shot anyway, so if you missed out the first time it's removed from the game.

Is there any way to make this more favorable/fair to smaller parties?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary G
United States
Silverdale
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You should only be starting out with the first 30 of each City/Road Event decks. I don't recall much 'certain required class' cards until you actually start unlocking them....could be mistaken though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
You are using only the first 30 cards from each deck right?

Because you shouldnt be seeing cards from the locked classes until you unlock them

Yes, even with the original cards, theres a better chance of you having one of the original six classes with a 4 person group than a 2 person group. But you can only balance so much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wallace
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
You are not wrong, that their is an inherent disadvantage with having less people with some road events, like the ones you are talking about. However, there is also increased risk with more people, negative outcomes (especially stuff that affects the next scenario) could get significantly worse with more people. I don't want to use specifics, nor do I know if this "balances" out the class checks problem you found. I do know that after 25 scenarios I think we've seen around 8 "event cards" with class checks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Szczepanski
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ebridge wrote:
We've encountered several event cards now - City and Road - where we get a better result by having a certain Character class in our party. Except I'm only playing this game with my wife and I controlling one character each, or a weekly 3 player game. We still haven't retired any characters yet.

Just looking at the math, it seems to me that larger parties have greater "odds" of getting favorable results from the event cards. Most of these cards are one-shot anyway, so if you missed out the first time it's removed from the game.

We experienced the same thing. The way we thought it would work best is by having "proxy" classes among those we had unlocked traveling with us on the road or in the city to fill us up to the full compliment of four. For us the "proxy" classes were really the characters of the players who weren't present for the session.

In my second campaign we are just going to roll with the punches because in the grand scheme it doesn't matter too much. Characters come and go, and eventually you'll be through all of the cards anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince R.
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen some that have the unlocked classes in the first 30...We just did one that had Scoundrel/music notes/...saw? I think?.

They do exist unless I made a mistake. Another advantage for bigger parties is when the party loses collective gold. I'm fine with it though, I'm sure it balances out in some way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Brookins
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you really want to even things up, you could just create two other characters to be your "traveling companions" just for the purposes of city and road events. I don't think that would break the game in any way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've noticed that there are certainly some events, both road and city that give a certain result, depending on what classes are in the party. But I think there are also some negative effects of having certain classes in the party, so I can't say that they are all favorable. Thus, while having a smaller party might have you missing some good stuff, it may also keep you from getting some bad stuff too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Heidenreich

Palm Bay
Florida
msg tools
Also, make sure you are reading what to do with the card next to each outcome. Many of the cards we encounter have you remove the card only if you have the outcome regarding a certain class. The generic outcome has you putting the card back on the bottom of the stack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
ebridge wrote:

It is fine as it is - no need to change anything. As crazysmurf said, there are also event cards where having certain classes in your party leads to a worse result than if you didn't have them, so your smaller party is at an advantage for those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cbrua wrote:
ebridge wrote:

It is fine as it is - no need to change anything. As crazysmurf said, there are also event cards where having certain classes in your party leads to a worse result than if you didn't have them, so your smaller party is at an advantage for those.

Yeah, I thought we'd see this too, but it hasn't been balanced this way. We've seen one event card that gave us a negative result, and encountered at least 6 with favorable results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorin Silver
Belgium
Nieuwkerken-Waas
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, there are more good results that can only be obtained by certain classes, especially in City Events (much less so in Road Events).

On the other hand, when something good happens, often it will be a collective benefit (say, 10 gold or two Energy Potions), which is more beneficial for small groups than for largers groups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Gentzel
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, a thing that balances it out at least a bit is whenever a collective reward is given, you individually benefit more. You got 10 collective gold? Congrats, both of you got 5. In a 4 player game, you get 2-3. You got an item? 1/2 of you get the item. In a 4 player game, chances are you don't get anything. You get TWO items? Well, you both got one. Sick.

Granted, PAYING collective gold is more brutal in 2-player, but I think the item rewards balance it out a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.