Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Rodriguez
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've noticed that there are the 3rd edition 40x10 bases and the earlier bases use 20x20 bases. Is there a big difference in gameplay between one and the other? Or is it just an aesthetics thing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The base switch was, I think, mostly to make it easier to paint the figures after basing them. IIRC, the Epic 40K rulebook addressed this, and said that using either base was acceptable; the square bases can fit more infantry into cover/buildings, but are easier to catch multiples of under a blast template.

Doesn't make a lot of difference either way. If you've got the choice, go with whichever ones you like the looks of better, or with the ones that fit in your buildings better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rodriguez
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
The base switch was, I think, mostly to make it easier to paint the figures after basing them. IIRC, the Epic 40K rulebook addressed this, and said that using either base was acceptable; the square bases can fit more infantry into cover/buildings, but are easier to catch multiples of under a blast template.

Doesn't make a lot of difference either way. If you've got the choice, go with whichever ones you like the looks of better, or with the ones that fit in your buildings better.

Great, thanks for the quick response! Also, I was wondering, does the amount figures on the bases matter? I'm thinking it doesn't but I'm not entirely sure.

I'm getting everything in a row, my wife loves miniatures games and this seems like a really fun one. I reviewed the rules with her and she was really excited about how it all worked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
danrodz wrote:
StormKnight wrote:

Great, thanks for the quick response! Also, I was wondering, does the amount figures on the bases matter? I'm thinking it doesn't but I'm not entirely sure.

I'm getting everything in a row, my wife loves miniatures games and this seems like a really fun one. I reviewed the rules with her and she was really excited about how it all worked.

Nope, technically the amount of figures doesn't affect gameplay at all. You are supposed to have the center figure for determining whether or not a blast hits it, but that's it.

I mounted my Dark Reapers in sets of 3 since they came in 3's in Warhammer 40K, and mounted some other models in 3s or other amounts just because they either looked better that way or just to get more mileage out of a model that I didn't have many of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rodriguez
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, all of the replies have been really helpful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Skinner
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neat, have fun. My wife plays the game with me and gets into it once we're playing, but I wouldn't say she was excited about how it works. And I have trouble going over rules with her, because it puts her to sleep really quickly!

I switched to 4" hexes, and I think she likes that better than measuring, though I had to adjust things a bit.

andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rodriguez
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andyskinner wrote:
Neat, have fun. My wife plays the game with me and gets into it once we're playing, but I wouldn't say she was excited about how it works. And I have trouble going over rules with her, because it puts her to sleep really quickly!

I switched to 4" hexes, and I think she likes that better than measuring, though I had to adjust things a bit.

andy

The excitement came from the fact that there isn't a ton of stuff to remember. So the rules don't take over, the game does! I've been trying to find mini rulesets that aren't overly complex as that is right up her alley. And to a certain extent mine too although I do like chrome. But chrome does me little good if my main gaming partner does't like to get into it too!

I saw pictures of the hex conversion that you did and it was very cool. Definitely food for thought, we found that the x-wing minis game really took off for us when we switched to the hexwing variant, which we really enjoy. So this may be on the radar for the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Skinner
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I appreciate simple myself, and it is definitely a plus if I want to involve my wife.

Epic 40K seems to me to get a lot done with simple rules.

andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmbmbmb
danrodz wrote:

The excitement came from the fact that there isn't a ton of stuff to remember. So the rules don't take over, the game does!

That is almost the best summary of Epic 3rd Edition I ever read. I am a huge fan myself. But there is quite some noise about 3rd edition. Not all veteran players love it. I do. And you say it well: It's streamlined rules and a massive amount of possible strategies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically Epic 40k has more rules overhead than 2nd ed Space Marine. That game had 15 pages of very simple, almost common sense rules, counting setup! Epic 40k has many of the rules moved into the Battles books and onto cards.

Where Space Marine got complex was in special rules for units, weapon details that were often questionable, and later on, the really large titans. But the special rules only mattered if you had that unit in your army, so most of them didn't come up in a game. Mega titans tended to be the focus of a particular game and there the detail was welcome.

Honestly, the streamlining of most Ork tanks and buggies, the amalgamation of all the weird Chaos machines and daemons, and the simplification of Eldar Aspect warriors seems to be the major things people hated in the edition switch.

The Ork vehicles did remove a lot of their flavor, especially in stuff like Scorchers and made buggies a theme choice where you sacrificed range vs bikes with no gain. Also killing the main differences between Ork clans and their specific vehicle choices.

The Aspect warriors, pretty much played the same with the new generalized special abilities.

It's a shame it never hit big, as the models are all just brilliant. The magazine spreads were some of the best WD ever did, as well.

On a side note, I always found it funny that gamers who hate the game mechanics of Epic 40k like Battlefleet Gothic, which is 90% the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.