United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really jazzed that I have 3KR on preorder for late Spring, I believe.
So I'm one for reading historical background and facts related to a game before I play it to squeeze out all the theme a game has to offer. I have two questions. One, is the story of the 3 kingdoms an interesting one (i.e., drama, intrigue, heroism, villiany, etc.)? Two, are there specific books related to this historical era and if so, could I have a few titles please. Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris schott
United States
saint louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out this thread:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1420836/history-and-lit...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spacerx wrote:

Hey thanks! Looks promisingthumbsup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Yves Moyen
Denmark
København
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In short (well, maybe not so short, knowing me…) the classical and basic reference is obviously the "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" novel. And the best English version seems to be the (unabridged) Moss Robert translation (I have only read the French translation so far).

And it is an extremely good book. There is a reason why it's still read in China today and it's one of the classical Chinese book. There is a reason why the story is so popular, that everybody knows about it even without reading it (just like in the Western world we all know about the Arthurian legend or the Iliad & Odysse even if we haven't read them).

Despite its venerable age, the book is still an extremely good read. There are many characters, and it's sometimes a bit hard to follow (I find the beginning –until Guandu– somewhat chaotic to follow). But damn it's good…

Actually, I started getting into the Three Kingdoms fandom by reading the novel (way before I started digging for games on the theme and found this gem). And when I started, only 60% of the French translation was done (3 out of 5 volumes). So, I reread everything from the start when the 4th was out, and again when the 5th was out, and now I have Moss Robert's English version waiting for me to read it… That how good it is…

So, if you want to get more background (and also appreciate how well this games fits its theme), just start by reading the book. It's probably not the best historical source or analysis there is (it is outrageously favouring Lui Bei and Shu…) but it's a "can't drop before I finish it" book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jym77 wrote:
In short (well, maybe not so short, knowing me…) the classical and basic reference is obviously the "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" novel. And the best English version seems to be the (unabridged) Moss Robert translation (I have only read the French translation so far).

And it is an extremely good book. There is a reason why it's still read in China today and it's one of the classical Chinese book. There is a reason why the story is so popular, that everybody knows about it even without reading it (just like in the Western world we all know about the Arthurian legend or the Iliad & Odysse even if we haven't read them).

Despite its venerable age, the book is still an extremely good read. There are many characters, and it's sometimes a bit hard to follow (I find the beginning –until Guandu– somewhat chaotic to follow). But damn it's good…

Actually, I started getting into the Three Kingdoms fandom by Dreading the novel (way before I started digging for games on the theme and found this gem). And when I started, only 60% of the French translation was done (3 out of 5 volumes). So, I reread everything from the start when the 4th was out, and again when the 5th was out, and now I have Moss Robert's English version waiting for me to read it… That how good it is…

So, if you want to get more background (and also appreciate how well this games fits its theme), just start by reading the book. It's probably not the best historical source or analysis there is (it is outrageously favouring Lui Bei and Shu…) but it's a "can't drop before I finish it" book.

Perfect! Thank you. I shall give it a read
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goo I've just finished watching the 2010 Chinese TV series, available on youtube. A mere 95 one hour episodes, but very exciting and colorful. A lot of the costumes and equipment that appears there are also in the game illustrations.

I've posted a summary thread below, although it contains many spoilers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.