Hide
10 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Rank 19 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Lodahl
msg tools
Gloomhaven got below 20 Gratz on the game of the year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Ackland
msg tools
Once the reprint hits, this game will be stuck in #1 for a long time.
Before then, top 10 is pretty reasonable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Holland

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Biggest cool thing: If you sort by Average Rating, Gloomhaven is the second game in the list with more than 100 ratings. (The first is Mythic Battles: Pantheon at 240 ratings and an average rating of 9.38) The next in the list with that qualifier, and not just an expansion or special edition of a game, (There's an ASL scenario, and a designer edition of Smallworld) is Kingdom Death: Monster at 8.97 Avg Rating.

The first game in the list you'll find with more votes than Gloomhaven is Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization at 8.77 Avg Rating. (There's a Mage Knight expansion at Avg Rating 8.84.)

Basically that means that this is consistently the highest-rated boardgame on BGG. The only reason it isn't top rated is because BGG (rightly) weights the number of votes into its Geek Rating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ax0r wrote:

Anyone else starting to feel like the BGG ratings are becoming less worthwhile? I'm certainly not a Cult-of-the-Old snob, but lately it seems like new games (particularly KS games) are rocketing through the ranks with relative ease and dominating the charts.

I haven't played Gloomhaven, so this isn't a critique of its merit. But when games like Mansions of Madness or Scythe start displacing games like Le Havre, Agricola, Power Grid, or Puerto Rico... I dunno. Hitting the Top 10 doesn't seem all that impressive anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webster
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
Totally NOT a Cylon!
badge
Keep watching... he eventually makes it!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a LOT more boardgames being made nowadays. Couple that with the fact that designers are refining their craft and improving upon designs which have paved the way means we should be seeing better stuff in bigger quantities moving forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidT wrote:
Ax0r wrote:

Anyone else starting to feel like the BGG ratings are becoming less worthwhile? I'm certainly not a Cult-of-the-Old snob, but lately it seems like new games (particularly KS games) are rocketing through the ranks with relative ease and dominating the charts.

I haven't played Gloomhaven, so this isn't a critique of its merit. But when games like Mansions of Madness or Scythe start displacing games like Le Havre, Agricola, Power Grid, or Puerto Rico... I dunno. Hitting the Top 10 doesn't seem all that impressive anymore.

I feel like Gloomhaven EASILY cracks any of the top 10 games. Yes the new ratings are really over the top however the games on the top are really NOT that good.

If I adapted my ratings to be relative to the ratings of the top 30 I'd probably rate the games I rate an 8 an 11. So Gloomhaven would be around 11.5 to 12.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidT wrote:

Anyone else starting to feel like the BGG ratings are becoming less worthwhile?

Or how about that... perhaps Gloomhaven is truly an exceptional game?

There are more games and more BGG users to rate them, so I am willing to accept that some of them will reach the top more frequently and more quickly than 10 years ago. But the way Gloomhaven has climbed the ranks is also unprecedented and may actually reflect how good it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
Ax0r wrote:

Agree it is heading to #1. Not sure about the "long time" part though. Things have changed, new games climb the ranks more easily than they used to. Another will come along sooner than we think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
one more! now rank 18!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
Even games still moving up are being surpassed by GH. How many more spots will Terraforming Mars overtake, before GH passes it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.