Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

878: Vikings – Invasions of England» Forums » General

Subject: The Last unlocked Goals are just Cards ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hans Gotti
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hope the next viewable Goals are not Event/Legend Cards.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SonofAleric wrote:
Hope the next viewable Goals are not Event/Legend Cards.
Well they suggest they aren't "just" cards. Whilst that's their physical form, these Kings Of England cards appear to be a new set of rules to add to the gameplay.

Detract from the core game from what I can see, but more gameplay nonetheless.

I guess some people are just too obsessed with "oooh shiny"?
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
There is still the Ragnar leader to be unlocked (yet to be revealed). I'm sure there will be other fun stuff still to come, but frankly there has been a lot already so not sure how much more we can expect.

Personally, the more events and legend cards the better. Especially the event cards, as this whole notion of being able to customize your deck sound very nice. There are more events than are needed for a game, so you'll get to pick and choose which to use depending on your strategy.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Gotti
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
yes Ragnar himself in the next unlocked Goal thats it
Iam curious of the next unlocked Strech goal.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Richardsville
VA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I'm not a fan of adding stretch goals just for the sake of adding more content and hoping it drives more sales. I don't want extra development time added to come up with new stuff that wasn't originally planned or designed before the kickstarter campaign. I'd prefer they just say that all of the stretch goals have been unlocked and stop adding any if that was the case.

However, if they had ideas on top of the base game design and have played and tested them to a decent extent and they add more depth/options/complexity etc. then I'm all for adding more cards and stuff that can be used at your discretion.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
United States
Granby
CT
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
I completely agree.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hester
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
meow
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
trakes wrote:
Yeah I'm not a fan of adding stretch goals just for the sake of adding more content and hoping it drives more sales. I don't want extra development time added to come up with new stuff that wasn't originally planned or designed before the kickstarter campaign. I'd prefer they just say that all of the stretch goals have been unlocked and stop adding any if that was the case.

However, if they had ideas on top of the base game design and have played and tested them to a decent extent and they add more depth/options/complexity etc. then I'm all for adding more cards and stuff that can be used at your discretion.


Academy is rather brilliant in this regard. If you look at Mare Nostrum, there was a set, historically accurate plan for the base game with some set stretch goals, and then all the mythology, extra KS fluff content etc. went into the expansion.

So it is here. The base game will follow the proven formula of 1775 very closely, and there are a few stretch goals that mostly upgrade components or add options (extra event cards) to the base game without substantially changing it much.

All the gee-whiz, left-field, substantial changes to the game are in the expansion.

I'll probably never touch the expansion, might even sell it off to someone who buys a retail copy later. I'm in the Kickstarter for the lower prices on the leaders, buildings, and giant board, plus the nice base game perks like the card holders and component trays (that we unlocked at $200K)

If it were up to my personal preferences - every stretch goal would be either a component upgrade or additional content for the base game, and there would be no expansion, and the game might drop in price $10-20. But then we wouldn't be at a quarter million in funding, because the game wouldn't have as much appeal to as broad of an audience. I realize that I get the extra event cards and holders and trays that I do want precisely because other backers get all the deviations from the base Birth of America series model that they want.

That's fine though - because all that fluff content goes in the expansion and doesn't pollute the already perfect base game. So we all are getting plenty of what we want (with more sure to come) without either of our greed ambitions ruining the experience for the other. Everyone wins.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Densham
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
WBuchanan wrote:
There is still the Ragnar leader to be unlocked (yet to be revealed). I'm sure there will be other fun stuff still to come, but frankly there has been a lot already so not sure how much more we can expect.

Personally, the more events and legend cards the better. Especially the event cards, as this whole notion of being able to customize your deck sound very nice. There are more events than are needed for a game, so you'll get to pick and choose which to use depending on your strategy.


...as Bill already guessed/knew/drew runes for, Ragnar is revealed as the next stretch goal!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
All the stuff in the "expansion" IS extra content for the base game ...

What exactly, and specifically, would you consider extra content for the base game if that's not it?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hester
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
meow
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
WBuchanan wrote:
All the stuff in the "expansion" IS extra content for the base game ...

What exactly, and specifically, would you consider extra content for the base game if that's not it?


Most of the stretch goals that deviate significantly from the earlier Birth of America series games have the ship icon next to them - for example, the Relics and Holy Places. The Legend cards as well. In my mind, these are a mechanical and thematic departure from the core game. That's what the expansion is designed to bring though - a different experience from 1775...for those that want that. These are not extra content for the base game, they're for the expansion, which is a different experience from the base game.

Some of us don't want the base game modified that much though. And thus, we're thrilled with more Event Cards, and Planning Maps (!), and Storage Trays, Card Holders etc. that make our core game better without substantially changing what we already love about it. That is the extra content for the base game. (indicated by the hammer and anvil)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Tim of Academy wrote:


...as Bill already guessed/knew/drew runes for, Ragnar is revealed as the next stretch goal!


Speaking of runes ... when is "The Seer" stretch goal going to be announced?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trakes wrote:
Yeah I'm not a fan of adding stretch goals just for the sake of adding more content and hoping it drives more sales. I don't want extra development time added to come up with new stuff that wasn't originally planned or designed before the kickstarter campaign.


I agree, I believe if they keep on adding on stretch goals especially with cards, rules more events non stop, the game will be a tad to fiddly. I am not saying it is now, the game looks great, how about a stretch goal of 10% off of shipping?

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Berry
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope there will be a stretch goal with mini's for the ship markers.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space is intentionally left empty]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JAA1030 wrote:
trakes wrote:
Yeah I'm not a fan of adding stretch goals just for the sake of adding more content and hoping it drives more sales. I don't want extra development time added to come up with new stuff that wasn't originally planned or designed before the kickstarter campaign.


I agree, I believe if they keep on adding on stretch goals especially with cards, rules more events non stop, the game will be a tad to fiddly. I am not saying it is now, the game looks great, how about a stretch goal of 10% off of shipping?

Yeah, already I don't think I'll be using all the options in the same game on a regular bases. It's nice to have them all available though!

EDIT: As for the shipping reduction, I know other kickstarters have done it. Though of course I don't know if they actually sold enough units that the fixed cost per unit got reduced sufficiently or if they just ate the extra cost as a thank you to backers.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.