Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Before Rtl app FFG has published 3 Coop expansions, Rtl is based on many of their concepts and in some respects (especially Delve) substitutes them while offering a wider choice (e.g. all the monsters in your collection instead of just 4).

However the reliance on a device can have its faults (e.g. bugs - like the monster activation bug, thankfully fixed now) and whereas Rtl does use a time element it is obfuscated from the player while PoD Coops keep all the info visible, which can be an appeal at least to some players. So I am curious to know, how many players still use them?

Poll
Do you still play the PoD Coops?
I have never played them.
I had played them before the app came out, now I don't.
I still play them
      89 answers
Poll created by borsook

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I haven't played them since the app came out, it's not from choice. I would play them again I just haven't played Descent since the app came out. I like the PoD co-ops, they gave very fresh life to what was a dead game for our group. The app seems to have done something similar, but we honestly haven't had time to try it yet to see how they compare. One of the things I loved about the PoDs was the "one night and you're done" feel. The campaign of 2nd Ed was just too long, we never finished them. The app's campaign seems similar, which was why I was hesitant to try with our group. But the Dungeon Delve version seems might fit right in.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian H.
Germany
Weilburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Evil Overlord
badge
Evil Overlord
mbmbmbmbmb
"The Delve" very much captures the feeling of the PoDs, while being a lot more variable and unpredictable (in a good way). That´s mainly why I no longer play the PoDs. But they still have a place in my heart, and are indeed an alternative to play the game "offline"

I´d really recommend to give the app at least a try. The "Rise of all Goblins" campaign is short enough to finish it in 1 long or 2 shorter sessions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. I really like the PoD quests, especially when they were first released. I do not go back to them quite as much, but that has a lot to do with the fact that I have played them a decent amount and I am still working through the new material.

The app cleans up some of the "bookkeeping" components that the PoD expansions contained (okay, so 20 cards, or so, isn't exactly a big component glut considering it in the bigger Descent expansion context), which makes it really easy to pull out the box[es], fire up the computer, and play!

My honest opinion is that FFG knocked it out of the park with the PoDs and the app. Nothing can ever recapture those first glorious campaigns of HeroQuest (etc), but these expansions have helped make Descent everything that I could possibly want in a Dungeon / Questing / Adventure game.

Sorry, got a little carried away!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.