Subject: Help me like this game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Jacobs

McKinney
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
First off, I do like this game but I want to like it more. There is one thing that keeps me from loving this game ... the winner is usually the one who is dealt the best cards at the beginning of the game.

On several occasions I've looked at my opponents cards and thought there is nothing I can do to compete with them. And if I'm the one with the best cards it feels like I didn't do anything to set myself up for success. I just got lucky.

Thoughts? Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gladiator Posse
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
There is a war on for your mind...
badge
www.DrudgeReport.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think this has come up with either group I've played with, but my first question would be, did you know you don't have to purchase the cards in order? You could hold out for a "higher powered" card for an earlier purchase. It seems unlikely there wouldn't be any abilities you could exploit. Purchase order makes a difference.

If you're looking to force a change--in a two or three player game, you could try omitting the card you find most over powering then randomly distribute the others.

I suppose you could also draft the abilities and rotate who gets first pick at each level to remove some of the 'randomness.'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Jacobs

McKinney
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes I know you can purchase in any order.

I like the feeling of combining cards abilities to string together great moves. But it seems out of balance somehow. Can't put my finger on it. Maybe I'm just terrible at this game. Haha.

I like the idea of drafting cards. I'll try that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great game in my opinion. Yaaar!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias F.
Germany
flag msg tools
I think it's quite unlikely that 1 player gets all powerful cards in a 4 player game. That would be very lucky. However: did you try to build an alliance with the other players against this player? There are complete games based on alliances against overpowered players (Cosmic Encounter for example).
Black Fleet is a light fun "take that" game. You shouldn't take it too seriously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another idea I read elsewhere was to prepare the cards so that everyone receives the same ones to purchase on their way to winning.

Since people can buy them in any order, there is still some variation to what comes out when. And you ensure that none of the superpowered ones are in the mix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
jhebert wrote:
Since people can buy them in any order, there is still some variation to what comes out when. And you ensure that none of the superpowered ones are in the mix.

I admit I'm somewhat curious as to which ones people think are superpowered (and especially if it's always the same ones). My impression was that they're much of a muchness, and we spent a while arguing over which were a bit too good or hard to use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ijacobs wrote:
Am I missing something?

Maybe not. It's a lite game, though a lot of fun. It just might not be the game you hoped it would be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.