Subject: Moment Boost cards are to be played during Vent Phase rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
rudy priecinsky
Slovakia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any specific moment when Boost are to be played during Vent Phase ? As this creates quite a confusion, especially if more players are involved.

Rules are only specific about order of more Boost cards that are to be played during Vent Phase. But this also imply that those Boost cards should be played at one specific moment. It is quite important because if there is no predefined moment set, many players could deliberately wait more than necessary up until other players play they Boost card (e.g. Aether Tear to spare few cogs), but at the same time owner of this Boost cards could wait until oponents vent their dice (or partialy vent their dice) for one reason or another. And if more players have Boost cards, they could easily breach the rule about order of Boost cards.

I think this should be said precisely to avoid confusion and speculation hindering smooth gameplay. I would suggest end of Vent Phase as certain Boost cards explicitly allows venting before use (Repair Claws).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rudy3 wrote:
I would suggest end of Vent Phase as certain Boost cards explicitly allows venting before use (Repair Claws).

But there is a Boost card that allows you to take dice from your opponents' inventions. I may want to play this before people vent and remove dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Codarin
Italy
Udine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if multiple people want to play boost cards in the vent phase you go in turn order
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rudy priecinsky
Slovakia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
steckman wrote:

But there is a Boost card that allows you to take dice from your opponents' inventions. I may want to play this before people vent and remove dice.

Precisely. In other case I want to let others to spend few cogs before I decide to take a dice (because usually or often to be precise there is a lot of dice available). So then there could arise a problem with order...somebody wants to use his Boost card to advance, other want to make few spaces harder to cross or impose damage to players which stay on spaces with Terrain icon (where that player ended after using his Boost card during Vent phase), etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rudy priecinsky
Slovakia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Darklaw90 wrote:
if multiple people want to play boost cards in the vent phase you go in turn order

I know, but it is somtimes impossible to synchronize (if one plays his boost card at the beginning of 'his' turn, other at the end), especially when many players are involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rudy3 wrote:
Darklaw90 wrote:

I know, but it is somtimes impossible to synchronize (if one plays his boost card at the beginning of 'his' turn, other at the end), especially when many players are involved.

In practice, we have never had a problem. People play Boost cards when they want during the Vent Phase. If more than one person wants to play at the same time, we go in turn order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
steckman wrote:
In practice, we have never had a problem. People play Boost cards when they want during the Vent Phase. If more than one person wants to play at the same time, we go in turn order.

Pretty much just this. The game is intended to be as permissive as possible, with no restrictions just for the sake of restricting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Saxberg
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
steckman wrote:
rudy3 wrote:
Darklaw90 wrote:

This is more or less what was intended. Generally when I am playing or moderating, I check with the table to see if anyone wants to go in order during each vent phase. If they do, we do, otherwise we proceed simultaneously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.