One Deck Dungeon» Forums » General

Subject: request for the designer: thematic choices! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ulrik wemmenhed
Sweden
flag msg tools

what a great game this is!

out of curiousity, is it possible for Chris Cieslik to explain the thinking behind the effects and names of certain cards. like, why does it take more time to enter the great halls of the Dragon's Cave? and why does the skill of poison reduce time? and when fighting the dragon, is there a design behind as to why the Agility things are armor, and then a big box of magic and strength?

this is not negative critique, but rather a request for the designer to discuss and reveal the design choices

(of course, with imagination, one could consider all kinds of reasons . perhaps it takes agility to strike past the dragon's scaly skin. or to jump high enough and climb the walls in order to reach it flying high. and then magic to counterspell it's fire breath... but that is just me wildy speculating)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy (Other Amy)
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Not Chris, but I love the thematic elements. I was imagining the Hall of Statues hiding doors so they take longer to find, or just making shadows that are hard to see through, so the party goes much more carefully (and therefore slowly). The second floor effect is definitely a spell (possibly cast by the dragon against the party.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
I could explain all of them -- but I think that there's a lot of fun to be had for people in pondering and imagining for themselves. The general idea with most dungeon floor challenge boxes and effects is that the boss has spread some effect or added little minions that have to be dealt with, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the thematic tie in to the encounter powers. I think 'split' is my favorite. Kudos Chris.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha, yes. Split was actually the very first encounter power I made. Originally the monsters didn't each have special powers, and then I added some to a couple. It fit so well that we adjusted and added powers to everything!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.