Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Taylor
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Banker - costs 9 : Allows you to get a bonus money when you play an Espionage card IF not adjacent to another player.

Journalist - costs 8 : Free control action (arguably the most important action in the game) EVERY turn.

Telegraph Operator - costs 4 : Lets you perform the bomb action from pretty much anywhere on the board, presuming you hang around the center of the board. Well, it makes life significantly easier, anyway.

The Telegraph Operator we've had to house rule a ban on as it appears to be able to break the game.

We're wondering if the Journalist should even exist, as if it comes out early it seems so overpowering

The Banker seems almost impossible to turn a profit off at it's current cost (without purely playing Espionage cards, therefore impinging ones own game) which seems strange.

Is the asset deck well balanced? Discuss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Woll
United States
Warsaw
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Asset deck is most definitely not balanced.

If a player gets a strong asset the other players should work together to hinder that player. If all players aren't aware of how strong certain assets are then the game can be a runaway.

But, really, this applies to the whole game. Some nations are much easier than others. It's fine as long as all players are aware.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Hawkins
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I can't say much about the general balance, but I do know that there are some that I snatch up faster than others. I love the Soldier of Fortune (Strategize) and the Talented Protege. Of course, it's hard for me to say whether I'm buying them because they're "better" or just because they're fun.

The only one that I've found that verges on "breaking the game" would be the Cryptologist. It allows you to do some really crazy plays that are really hard to respond to.

Telegraph Operator...? I dunno... Never really thought it was that great. Except on the last turn. Then it's fantastic. But before that? Convince me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grendel's Mother
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is something I find very fascinating about I, Spy. There never seems to be a consensus on game balance, whether it is the Nations or Assets in question. When comparing what my regular group of players says, I find very different opinions on the forums here. Sometimes I vastly change my own judgement based on individual matches, whereas in the past what I interpreted as an unstoppable combination suddenly appears weak and ineffectual.

My apologies in being so abstract when answering your question so late, but it has been awhile since I last played, and I do not remember specifics. Only my past impressions of how this game feels like an enigma every time I sit down to face it. With all that said, the Telegraph Operator does present quite a menacing front to other players, since you can strike from almost anywhere and with little anticipation. Yet it takes significant effort to Sabotage more than once a Scoring Phase, especially at the end of the game when it matters most. Other Assets in comparison will give you benefits each and every turn.

I also personally feel the Journalist is slightly overpowered, but that may be due to my spouse, who has to have her grubby little paws in every single Politician to ever grace the board. Arguably then, this card is next to useless later in the game for the cost, considering how all the Politicians for the last Scoring Phase are generally locked-up and accounted for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.