Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

Leaving Earth» Forums » General

Subject: Must the paper cover be cut to open the box? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Massimiliano della Rovere
Italy
Pisa
Tuscany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at the following picture



It seems that you have to cut the paper cover to open the box.

Please, tell me I'm wrong.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Well yes.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The cover is a giant sticker. You could conceivably peel it away, but it would likely destroy the label. So sorry, you will have to cut the package to open it, but then it will stick down and won't bother you anymore.

Alternatively I have seen at least one person cut out the unstickered top. This will accomplish what you seek, but will also leave the box permanently open.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Olson
United States
Woodbine
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
One, please
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You're not wrong...you have to cut it. You're probably like me (and many others) and have a strong aversion to cutting or damaging a game box. I feel your pain.

But this game is from a small publisher. While most of the production standards of this game are good, the box is a little lacking.

However, rejoice! The game inside the box is totally worth it!
4 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico Galeotti
Italy
Firenze
flag msg tools
http://www.gruppoludico.it/
badge
I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.
Avatar
mb
masdero wrote:
It seems that you have to cut the paper cover to open the box.

Please, tell me I'm wrong.


Unfortunately yes, you have to.

The way I've done it, I've cut the paper cover on both sides and then taped over it on the left side of the box. In this way the box opens like a book binding.

Not the best solution, but it allows the box to stay closed and still open wide when you have to take the material out. If you cut only on one side it tends to close too much even when you want it to stay open.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimiliano della Rovere
Italy
Pisa
Tuscany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BankerNot1 wrote:
You're not wrong...you have to cut it. You're probably like me (and many others) and have a strong aversion to cutting or damaging a game box. I feel your pain.

But this game is from a small publisher. While most of the production standards of this game are good, the box is a little lacking.

However, rejoice! The game inside the box is totally worth it!


I'll try the steam option to try ungluing at least one side of the sticker.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimiliano della Rovere
Italy
Pisa
Tuscany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Born-of-Ashes wrote:
The cover is a giant sticker. You could conceivably peel it away, but it would likely destroy the label. So sorry, you will have to cut the package to open it, but then it will stick down and won't bother you anymore.

Alternatively I have seen at least one person cut out the unstickered top. This will accomplish what you seek, but will also leave the box permanently open.


Why not making a sticker with blank sides so, when you cut it, you damage only a white side...
or better, why not a smaller sticker just on the box cover and a paper/plastic ring to keep the box closed...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Or you can buy the expansion (you can thank me later, Joe ), and have an entirely new box made instead! (A shameless plug):



If interested, here's the file: Custom Box Cover for both Core Game & Expansion by BGM



6 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dong
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Use a knife/razor blade to cut through the sleeve/sticker along lid line edge. I would use a ruler/straight edge to guide you to ensure a nice and straight cut. Position the straight edge below the lid and slide it up to the lid's edge. This will eliminate any slack in the sticker, add some tension, and give you a nice narrow channel to follow and cut through.

Cut through one side is you want a hinged lid. Cut through both sides is you want to be able to remove the lid.

With my superior cutting skills (whistle) I knew I didn't need to use a ruler, because I can follow the nice straight lid edge without a problem. Needless to say the box now has extra character with the visibly wavey cut through the sticker/sleeve. After learning my lesson I used my metal ruler to guide my cut through Golden Wilderness's sticker/sleeve and made a nice straight cut that is barely noticeable and looks like it belongs.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Uffrahst
United States
Cypress
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
masdero wrote:
Looking at the following picture



It seems that you have to cut the paper cover to open the box.

Please, tell me I'm wrong.


You're wrong

It was really important for me to leave the paper cover intact so I cut the box edges with a razor blade and slid the contents out through the opening.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Reevo
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
masdero wrote:
Looking at the following picture



It seems that you have to cut the paper cover to open the box.

Please, tell me I'm wrong.


You could just tear it open whistle
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
masdero wrote:
I'll try the steam option to try ungluing at least one side of the sticker.


You may save the sticker, but completely ruin all the components inside the box, as well as the box.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimiliano della Rovere
Italy
Pisa
Tuscany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gar0u wrote:
masdero wrote:
I'll try the steam option to try ungluing at least one side of the sticker.


You may save the sticker, but completely ruin all the components inside the box, as well as the box.


The trick is using dry steam
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimiliano della Rovere
Italy
Pisa
Tuscany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Or a hair drier
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ciaran M
United Kingdom
Co. Down
UK
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A single, careful slice down one side of the sticker, leaving the other side intact to act as a hinge is the way I went with both this and the Outer Planets expansion and I have to say it works quite well.
It certainly hurt me to do it, but I can't see any other practical way to do it and make it easy to access & pack away the contents again, and if done carefully the outcome isn't too bad.

CLOSED:


OPEN:
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimiliano della Rovere
Italy
Pisa
Tuscany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The images do not appear.


I wonder what would happen melting/drying the glue with a hair dryer...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also had angst at cutting it open! Took an exacto and sliced it carefully... maybe it's the new way to make legacy games!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
Blue Tent
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
isthar wrote:
I also had angst at cutting it open! Took an exacto and sliced it carefully... maybe it's the new way to make legacy games!

When you lose a spacecraft, tear up its card. If the spacecraft was lost due to a rocket explosion, light the card on fire.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kal Goran
msg tools
buffalohat wrote:
isthar wrote:
I also had angst at cutting it open! Took an exacto and sliced it carefully... maybe it's the new way to make legacy games!

When you lose a spacecraft, tear up its card. If the spacecraft was lost due to a rocket explosion, light the card on fire.


And suddenly, replacement card packs show up in the Lumenaris store....
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheThreeLaws wrote:
buffalohat wrote:
When you lose a spacecraft, tear up its card. If the spacecraft was lost due to a rocket explosion, light the card on fire.


And suddenly, replacement card packs show up in the Lumenaris store....
And Lumenaris-brand lighter fluid.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Firedrake wrote:
TheThreeLaws wrote:
buffalohat wrote:
When you lose a spacecraft, tear up its card. If the spacecraft was lost due to a rocket explosion, light the card on fire.


And suddenly, replacement card packs show up in the Lumenaris store....
And Lumenaris-brand lighter fluid rocket fuel.

FTFY
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Kristensen
Denmark
Herlev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Born-of-Ashes wrote:
The cover is a giant sticker. You could conceivably peel it away, but it would likely destroy the label. So sorry, you will have to cut the package to open it, but then it will stick down and won't bother you anymore.


I can report that it was quite possible for me to separate the label. Very, very carefully and using an exacto knife to - carefully - assist in the separating.

Once separate I mounted a thin piece of cardboard behind it (basically the back of normal pad of paper) sticking into the lid. The residual glue might need a little help on the corners and edges when mounting the label again.

So with a little patience and care - it can be done. The label didn't seem in danger of ripping at any point. It is pretty tough - as far as labels go.

But again: Patience and care.

Did both the base box and Outer planets in about an hour.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.