Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R. Eric Reuss
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
How does Observatory interact with multiple damage done to a ship?

The compiled FAQ says "Damage is [applied] one at a time, with the player choosing how to take it (exhausting an upgrade vs. drawing a card) and where to apply it with each one."

If a player has the Observatory, can they look at the top card of the damage deck between applying each point of damage and the next? (I'm guessing yes, but just unsure enough to look for corroboration.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the FAQ clarification, we've been playing it that the person with the Observatory can look at the top damage card, decide whether or not to take it, then if he does, look at the next damage card and decide on that one, and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There hasn't been a crystal-clear clarification on this, but there's nothing to indicate that you can't look at the top of any deck, any time you want to do so. Perhaps there *should* be, but from my own experience, the Observatory is fairly under-utilized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Box 6 spoilers:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
In the final game, it would be extra-helpful to look at the next card to know when to pass the token. On anyone's turn. And while most of these things we've said you can only use it on your own turn unless it specifically says "any time", it is a convention, and might not be applicable.

You should be able to use it any time you have a decision to make that requires you to know what's just over the horizon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Eric Reuss
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Becq wrote:
There hasn't been a crystal-clear clarification on this, but there's nothing to indicate that you can't look at the top of any deck, any time you want to do so. Perhaps there *should* be, but from my own experience, the Observatory is fairly under-utilized.

I don't think anyone built it for our first two games, but I'm pretty sure it's been built in games 3, 4, and 5 (our latest). Knowing the following turn's Event tends to be the most frequently useful thing, though upcoming Damage has been occasionally good as well.

Box 3 spoilers:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Also, now that Curses just got added to the Damage Deck, I expect looking at that will be even more useful - it's no longer just "is the upcoming penalty irritating enough that I should flip an upgrade?" but "will the next card sink my ship?" if you're at 2 Damage or 2 Curses but not both. (Also, what sort of thing you're going to have to do to recover from it, which has become more variable.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.