10 Posts

Mare Nostrum: Empires» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Greece : Becoming Millitary Leader rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Félix Beaudouin
France
flag msg tools
I am trying to build a plan to win with Pyramids early as Greece. And I need to become the Military leader.

Sure, if Rome gives it to me and Persia doesn't compete on the military track that will be easy. (then making the Pyramids as Greece seems actually so simple by occupying Alexandria)

But that won't probably be the case...

In the first turn you probably want to at least get some extra production going for turn 2 to avoid problems if 0 commodities are chosen by trade leader...

And pretty soon, Persia will be on the same level as you or Rome if not becoming the new Military leader soon...

How would you proceed to have the best chances to become military Leader as Greece ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Park
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I do not understand how becoming military leader would help you build the pyramids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Félix Beaudouin
France
flag msg tools
Because you could attack Alexandria without possibility of retaliation and occupy its building for +4 coins. With only two coins saved and a production of 6 coins (both easy to achieve) you have the 12 coins required.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clovis chan
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
By not attacking or being attacked while building military slowly(so that means staying under the radar and not overtly trying to overtake military leader, otherwise he will just build military to maintain leadership). As long as you "force" the military leader to attack someone else. So if you manage to get culture leader you should probably help Carthage.

You can also recruit heroes that grant military bonus, so you can be higher on military track without actually having too many military units, which can sometimes prompt an arms race.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Félix Beaudouin
France
flag msg tools
Interesting... Maybe getting a Hero with +2 Cultural and + 2 military would be the answer here...
Getting Cultural Leadership as a first step to becoming Military leader is a great idea !
You can sure build last which always help and you can jump on the first opportunity to get military leadership if the military leader stops buying legions for one turn...

Heracles and Penthésilée both work.
Hamilcar gives 3 + 1 so he might not get you that Cultural leadership right away but he can open interesting plays / Win conditions.
And Persée also works to get the cultural Leadership.

Except if Egypt "counters" with a +2 Cultural Hero of her own...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan
mbmbmbmbmb
Alternatively, you can build enough ships and destroy as many ships as needed to stop your opponents from attacking Alexandria and your own capital.

Especially when you aren't the first to move (the military leader can pick someone else) you only have to target the ships of the opponent(s) that come after you. With a bit of luck that's only 1 (probably Rome), as not all opponents may have fleets and legions available that can reach Athens or Alexandria in the same turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Félix Beaudouin
France
flag msg tools
Well that might be an option... but you also need to protect Thracia... and you need to be Able to reach Alexandria (2 ships) if Romes Ship(s) are far to the west or too many or if Persia has a ship too it might mean a whole lot of ships !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j y
msg tools
heroes' bonuses raise the max cap too, so if hamilcar alone could give you the military leadership eventually provided no one attacks you and no one else got a relevant hero

had a 3p game as greece where it was becoming stalemate, no one dares to attack anyone, hamilcar won me the military leadership that way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan
mbmbmbmbmb
Deathpact wrote:
Well that might be an option... but you also need to protect Thracia... and you need to be Able to reach Alexandria (2 ships) if Rome's Ship(s) are far to the west or too many or if Persia has a ship too it might mean a whole lot of ships !

True. But it's an option. In many cases you may only have to destroy 1 ship. I've done it a couple of times! ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Félix Beaudouin
France
flag msg tools
I'll Keep that in mind when i'll have plans to go for Alexandria.
Last time i played Greece I grabbed Syracuse and it made it all more complicated to threaten Alexandria. I don't think i will do it again, unless i manage to fathom some good win conditions from that starting point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.