Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
So, after one game solitaire and two Epic games with 2 players, I am scratching my head wondering what is going on with the market cards.

The market cards by and large, don't seem worth the cost - yeah you could buy unique weapon designs, but man oh man, are they expensive to both purchase and then in resources to build. You could buy the market stall cards to get bonuses, but they are very expensive. Some cards are obviously worth their cost (hiring an adventurer or level up comes to mind).

Money and resources are so tight in this game and there is virtually no engine (I guess your Adventurers are the engine, especially once they get to level IV). Spending that money on cards, instead of buying resources, public weapon designs or adventurers, doesn't usually seem like a good idea.

Have I got this right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Jannin
France
SAUTRON
Loire Atlantique
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the market cards (except the one use ones) are all worth victory points at the end of the game. Some of them allows you to sell/buy 2 times per round (so worth it), exchange ressources cheaper than the merchants.

The weapons design are really powerful weapons, meaning you will have to send less adventurers on quests later on in the games and are worth a lot of points
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Harrison
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
P.O.G.G. wrote:
So, after one game solitaire and two Epic games with 2 players, I am scratching my head wondering what is going on with the market cards.

The market cards by and large, don't seem worth the cost - yeah you could buy unique weapon designs, but man oh man, are they expensive to both purchase and then in resources to build. You could buy the market stall cards to get bonuses, but they are very expensive. Some cards are obviously worth their cost (hiring an adventurer or level up comes to mind).

Money and resources are so tight in this game and there is virtually no engine (I guess your Adventurers are the engine, especially once they get to level IV). Spending that money on cards, instead of buying resources, public weapon designs or adventurers, doesn't usually seem like a good idea.

Have I got this right?

No. I've done well on epic and normal solo games, and the Market card are your engine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
coblackmagus wrote:

No. I've done well on epic and normal solo games, and the Market card are your engine.

Great. More confirmation that I'm just stupid. Sigh ...

... alright, I'll see if I can figure this out ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Market cards are indeed very expensive. However, there are lots of quests, where you can take market cards as a reward. These are great, and also give a lot of victory points.
Especially in solo it's really important to have lots of guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Harrison
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
When I get the chance I'll write a strategy article. But the short answer is the Market Stalls are definitely good; I can't see getting a good score without them.

Take converting copper to iron in just the normal game for example. Iron is worth 1.5 times what copper is, so that's half a point of value you're generating per turn. It really adds up over several rounds.

The selling stalls are really good if you stack them in the epic game. You can end up making money.

Weapon designs are useful for helping you convert your resources more efficiently; for example, without a unique weapon design you can't properly utilize emerald.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.