BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Conservatives of RSP - Why Do You Still Post Here? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So this post is for everyone that considers themselves conservative or at least moderate but leans slightly right (in the American sense). Why do you still come to this forum to post?

It seems to me that this forum has been getting worse and worse over the last few weeks and more toxic instead of less. It also seems as if some problematic posters are being emboldened by the lack of sanctions or action against them. In just the last week alone I have seen some nasty personal attacks, such as those against GameCrossing (pardon me if I misspell it), or multiple slanders against conservatives as a whole (they all have a genetic defect that makes them self-centered and selfish – although that poster later came back to say *not all* are like that) or that (republicans just hate poor people and the rest who don’t are basically idiots who are manipulated into voting that way). It is clear that the powers that be have no desire to keep things balanced and it seems, at this point, like they fairly clearly favor one side over the other (red Xing isn’t getting conservatives anywhere either).

So, to sum this up, what do you find valuable about this forum and what do you get out of it? When do you say enough is enough in regards to attacks and toxicity? Just interested in getting a discussion going and seeing how other people feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I come here for the pie.

No seriously, I just like to read other people's opinions and sometimes argue with them. I do miss the more conservative posters, but frankly, their mixture of insults and personal attacks were wearing thin. Same with some of our liberal posters here. They still snark away like 13-year-old girls fat-shaming Melissa McCarthy. But I have a thick skin and don't pay attention to the immature posts.

Mainly, though, it fills in the slack times at work. Plus, BGG is helping me slowly rebuild my wargame collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with JD - literally. We are a couple.

Wherever he goes, I am sure to be by his side.

See you after work, my Stonewall Jackson.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire Anderson
msg tools
As a whacky leftist I'd like to say I 100% agree the attacks on GameCrossing were way out of line and that the whole conservative genetics thing was absurd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under the paving stones, the beach
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KrazyIrish89 wrote:
It also seems as if some problematic posters are being emboldened by the lack of sanctions or action against them.

(red Xing isn’t getting conservatives anywhere either).

How can you tell? Serious question; moderation action is private.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ignore or block the posts of people who engage in primarily personal attacks. There is plenty of conversation on RSP that deals with substance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for beer. What happened to GC?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic Lineal
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mb
Clairebot wrote:
As a whacky leftist I'd like to say I 100% agree the attacks on GameCrossing were way out of line and that the whole conservative genetics thing was absurd.

I missed it - I read far less than 100% of RSP. What was the gist of it?

Rulesjd wrote:
Ignore or block the posts of people who engage in primarily personal attacks. There is plenty of conversation on RSP that deals with substance.

Agreed. I never used the plonking feature with my old account, but now a combination of plonking and simply ignoring works fine for me. Far less noise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire Anderson
msg tools
viclineal wrote:
Clairebot wrote:

Starts getting real nasty right around here

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25386301#25386301
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clairebot wrote:
viclineal wrote:
Clairebot wrote:

Yeah but the mean post only garnered a single thumb (and that from fnord, so I'm not sure if I even saw it), and then the mean poster quickly got called out by liberal heartthrob Chad Ellis. Not sure this thread is a solid example of The Conspiracy.

It is a good indicator, though, for who to put your money on over in the Deadpool thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the point is thumbs, but rather moderation (or lack).

Edit to add: And I'm not a liberal heartthrob. Just ask BJ, or Wrayman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spoon wrote:
Clairebot wrote:
viclineal wrote:
Clairebot wrote:

Yeah but the mean post only garnered a single thumb (and that from fnord, so I'm not sure if I even saw it), and then the mean poster quickly got called out by liberal heartthrob Chad Ellis. Not sure this thread is a solid example of The Conspiracy.

It is a good indicator, though, for who to put your money on over in the Deadpool thread.

Mean post was also X'd to oblivion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
darthhugo wrote:
I'm with JD - literally. We are a couple.

Wherever he goes, I am sure to be by his side.

See you after work, my Stonewall Jackson.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Mostly made up of spare parts and sarcasm! ... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmb
"that considers themselves conservative or at least moderate but leans slightly right (in the American sense)".

Which when measured by the rest of the world puts you far to the right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Stein
msg tools
whac3 wrote:

I too am kept here by my devotion to the "What are you drinking RIGHT NOW" megathread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
growlley wrote:
"that considers themselves conservative or at least moderate but leans slightly right (in the American sense)".

That's 'cuz the rest of the world ain't nuttin' but a bunch of pansy-assed commie buttsuckers. 'Murica! Fuck YEAH!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
CaffeineBot wrote:
whac3 wrote:

I too am kept here by my devotion to the "What are you drinking RIGHT NOW" megathread.

Well, for me the answer to that question at the moment is "Coca-cola with a splash of lemon juice in it."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Mostly made up of spare parts and sarcasm! ... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
growlley wrote:

That's 'cuz the rest of the world ain't nuttin' but a bunch of pansy-assed commie buttsuckers. 'Murica! Fuck YEAH!!

toxic , bigotted nationalism - quick red 'x' it to oblivion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
growlley wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:
growlley wrote:

toxic , bigotted nationalism - quick red 'x' it to oblivion.

but thumb it for Jingoism!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
viclineal wrote:

I was busy gaming this weekend.

Wait...a...minute...gaming instead of RSPing = LIFE VICTORY!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
KrazyIrish89 wrote:
It seems to me that this forum has been getting worse and worse over the last few weeks and more toxic instead of less. ...

It seems to me, for the most part, you're confusing attacks on policies, ideas, and public figures (all fair game) with attacks on BGG users, singly or collectively.

Clairebot wrote:

I'll give you that that one post as being too personal. But you say, "Starts getting real nasty..." Please link the nastiest post, in your opinion. Since no subsequent post was X'd to the point of being hidden, clearly you have a different view. I'd like to understand what you think is a personal attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
einsteinidahosu wrote:
viclineal wrote:

I was busy gaming this weekend.

Wait...a...minute...gaming instead of RSPing = LIFE VICTORY!

Yea, both dnd sessions this weekend on saturday and sunday plus path finder next saturday and gaming with daughter next sunday. RL is getting crowded again.

---

To the parent poster... not all conservatives are the same. Some may find it more pleasant here now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I still post here because I love being told that my desire to find alternatives to government solutions means I hate people and hope they suffer and die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KrazyIrish89 wrote:
Tall_Walt wrote:
KrazyIrish89 wrote:
It seems to me that this forum has been getting worse and worse over the last few weeks and more toxic instead of less. ...

It seems to me, for the most part, you're confusing attacks on policies, ideas, and public figures (all fair game) with attacks on BGG users, singly or collectively.

Clairebot wrote:

I'll give you that that one post as being too personal. But you say, "Starts getting real nasty..." Please link the nastiest post, in your opinion. Since no subsequent post was X'd to the point of being hidden, clearly you have a different view. I'd like to understand what you think is a personal attack.

Not true. What I am calling out is blanket attacks against all conservatives. You can't say in good faith that that is the same thing as attacks on policies, ideas, and public figures (which is a normal part of healthy debate). It is no different from the stupid "libt*rd" attacks from the old toxic brigade. The difference is that one sides behavior is still tolerated and, in some cases, explained away.

What "blanket attacks on Conservatives" are you talking about? Without examples (plural) it seems you are confusing attacks on conservative policies with attacks on conservatives. And with the "piss on the poor" motif that the conservatives in Washington are coming up, along with their alliance with Trump and his White Nationalist buddies, don't expect a let up on the former anytime soon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire Anderson
msg tools
Considering this thread is addressed to conservatives, maybe those of us on the left end of the political spectrum should try not to derail this too bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.