Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

War of the Ring (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: [Rules] Several rules questions.. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Manuel Galdames
Chile
Santiago
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys.

I tried searching to answer the following questions but I didn't have any luck. So here goes. If there are some obvious questions here, I apologize in advance; I've read the rulebook twice and still can't seem to grasp a few things.



1- The SP can only assign a maximum number of dice to the hunt box equal to the amount of companions in the Fellowship. Great, simple. But what happens with the eyes that I roll? I assume they get assigned to the box anyway, even if the amount is higher than the fellowship companions. What about the hunt roll itself? Is THAT limited to the amount of companions, no matter how many are in the fellowship?

2- What happens to the tiles that are drawn after a succesful hunt or card effects? As far as I've understood it, they are discarded from the bag. If the fellowship enters Mordor, they are placed back in, together with the special tiles that both players managed to play. Is this correct?

3- If a companion is moved away from the Fellowship into a FP city or stronghold by a card effect or ability, does that activate the corresponding nation?

4- If a Stronghold is free (with no units to defend it), does the move into the region count as an Attack? This could help trigger Nazgul attack cards, for instance. If it isn't an attack, can an army simply "move" into the region and conquer it immediately?

5- This ones pretty obvious: If a player (SP or FP) conquers are foreign settlement, he cannot use it to produce units, right?

6- As long as both nations have met the political requirements, can you use the muster action to produce units in two different nations? (For instance, a regular in Erebor and a regular in Minas Tirith with a single Muster action).

7- When on the Mordor track, do you move a single step for each action die? If the FP has 4 character action dice available, does that mean that he could (given that the tiles don't screw him over) move up to 4 steps in a single turn?


That's it for now. Thank you very much in advance!

Cheers.sauron
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fireandblood wrote:
1- The SP can only assign a maximum number of dice to the hunt box equal to the amount of companions in the Fellowship. Great, simple. But what happens with the eyes that I roll? I assume they get assigned to the box anyway, even if the amount is higher than the fellowship companions. What about the hunt roll itself? Is THAT limited to the amount of companions, no matter how many are in the fellowship?

First the SP assigns eyes, with a maximum based on the number of companions in the fellowship. After that, the number of companions in the fellowship doesn't matter at all. Then the SP rolls their dice and moves any rolled eyes into the hunt box (to be combined with the assigned eyes). The combined amount can be higher than the number of companions in the fellowship. The hunt roll is just based on the number of eyes in the box (max 5).

fireandblood wrote:
2- What happens to the tiles that are drawn after a succesful hunt or card effects? As far as I've understood it, they are discarded from the bag. If the fellowship enters Mordor, they are placed back in, together with the special tiles that both players managed to play. Is this correct?

The tiles are set aside or put back in the box. When the fellowship enters Mordor, only the eye tiles and the special tiles (red and blue) go back into the bag.

fireandblood wrote:
3- If a companion is moved away from the Fellowship into a FP city or stronghold by a card effect or ability, does that activate the corresponding nation?

Yes, if that particular companion has the ability to active that nation (i.e., Legolas cannot activate the Dwarves).

fireandblood wrote:
4- If a Stronghold is free (with no units to defend it), does the move into the region count as an Attack? This could help trigger Nazgul attack cards, for instance. If it isn't an attack, can an army simply "move" into the region and conquer it immediately?

If there are no defending armies, an opposing army can move into the stronghold. This does not count as an attack.

fireandblood wrote:
5- This ones pretty obvious: If a player (SP or FP) conquers are foreign settlement, he cannot use it to produce units, right?

Correct. You can only muster into your own settlements and only if you control them.

fireandblood wrote:
6- As long as both nations have met the political requirements, can you use the muster action to produce units in two different nations? (For instance, a regular in Erebor and a regular in Minas Tirith with a single Muster action).

Yes

fireandblood wrote:
7- When on the Mordor track, do you move a single step for each action die? If the FP has 4 character action dice available, does that mean that he could (given that the tiles don't screw him over) move up to 4 steps in a single turn?

Correct. Each charater die moves you one space on the Mordor track (unless you draw a red tile, in which case you don't move).
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
It's Karan, not Karen!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes, they are added to the hunt pool regardless of companionship size. Dice in hunt roll=Dice in hunt pool to a max of 5
2. Only the eye tiles go back in the bag with the special tiles on entering Mordor
3.Each character's card states which region they can activate
4.Yes, FP can conquer enemy strongholds immediately if empty, that;s why the double movement card is so powerful
5.True, can't muster there till it's back in your control
6.Yes
7.Yes, one step a dice
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamjimby wrote:
fireandblood wrote:
1- The SP can only assign a maximum number of dice to the hunt box equal to the amount of companions in the Fellowship. Great, simple. But what happens with the eyes that I roll? I assume they get assigned to the box anyway, even if the amount is higher than the fellowship companions. What about the hunt roll itself? Is THAT limited to the amount of companions, no matter how many are in the fellowship?

First the SP assigns eyes, with a maximum based on the number of companions in the fellowship. After that, the number of companions in the fellowship doesn't matter at all. Then the SP rolls their dice and moves any rolled eyes into the hunt box (to be combined with the assigned eyes). The combined amount can be higher than the number of companions in the fellowship. The hunt roll is just based on the number of eyes in the box (max 5).
And note that the MINIMUM number of eyes to allocate is 1 if the FP retrieved a die from the hunt box last turn, or 0 if they didn't. So often once you're down to just gollum as guide, Shadow has no choice: they must allocate 1 minimum and 1 maximum, so they allocate 1 and roll the rest of their dice.

And, once you're in mordor, eyes do an amount of damage equal to the eyes + FP dice in the box, which can be more than 5 (which is why the FSP might not want to move 4 times on the same turn while in mordor...)

Teamjimby wrote:
fireandblood wrote:
4- If a Stronghold is free (with no units to defend it), does the move into the region count as an Attack? This could help trigger Nazgul attack cards, for instance. If it isn't an attack, can an army simply "move" into the region and conquer it immediately?

If there are no defending armies, an opposing army can move into the stronghold. This does not count as an attack.
It's not an attack as Jim writes, but note that the moving army still must be at war on the politics track to be able to cross into other regions.

Have fun!
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sturm
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamjimby wrote:
fireandblood wrote:
4- If a Stronghold is free (with no units to defend it), does the move into the region count as an Attack? This could help trigger Nazgul attack cards, for instance. If it isn't an attack, can an army simply "move" into the region and conquer it immediately?

If there are no defending armies, an opposing army can move into the stronghold. This does not count as an attack.


To expand on this somewhat, what helps me keep it straight is:

A) understanding that armies only attack other armies, not territories

B) adhering to the callout on p. 28 reminding you that when attacking you don't actually move units into a territory until you've actually won the battle (or the defenders retreat into a siege).

So, essentially, moving armies is only possible when they're unopposed, and because of this cannot trigger attack effects.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
2- What happens to the tiles that are drawn after a succesful hunt or card effects? As far as I've understood it, they are discarded from the bag. If the fellowship enters Mordor, they are placed back in, together with the special tiles that both players managed to play. Is this correct?


Only Eye tiles are returned. I recommend the following:

- When you draw an Eye tile, place it on the board, on the Mordor track. If you draw a non-eye tile, put it back in the box.
- If the corresponding card is played, put any special tiles in Mordor with the Eyes, ready to enter play.
- On entering the Mordor track, place the accumulated Eye and Special tiles back in the draw bag.

This way it's easy to remember to put them back in, as they are likely in your way when you try to place the Fellowship on the MT. Also both players can see what will go back in, and plan accordingly.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koolin
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Orion3T wrote:

Only Eye tiles are returned. I recommend the following:

- When you draw an Eye tile, place it on the board, on the Mordor track. If you draw a non-eye tile, put it back in the box.
- If the corresponding card is played, put any special tiles in Mordor with the Eyes, ready to enter play.
- On entering the Mordor track, place the accumulated Eye and Special tiles back in the draw bag.

This way it's easy to remember to put them back in, as they are likely in your way when you try to place the Fellowship on the MT. Also both players can see what will go back in, and plan accordingly.


This is indeed very convenient and a way we also play it (or [ab]use Mordor for).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Galdames
Chile
Santiago
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies!!

I got some more questions:

- What happens when a SP army attacks a FP army that has one or more companions in the region? Are the companions forced to enter the battle? Since the companions move freely even on regions controlled by the SP, can they ignore battles where friendly troops are attacked as well? How is this determined?

- If no shadow dice have been assigned to the hunt box (either through eye rolls or in the hunt allocation phase), is it possible for the FP to move without the SP getting a chance to roll that whole turn?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Craig
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The companions are part of the army by being in the region as a friendly army so they must take part in the battle.

Yes the fellowship would get to move without any hunt rolls.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.