Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Morton
United States
Brackenridge
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
So High Command is sort of a phantom Deckbuilder here on BGG. There are some bits of info, but really a lot missing from a new player perspective. I wanted to fill in for this product specifically as this is a seemingly good jumping in point.

1) This is the Khador and Circle of Orboros factions. The first is from Warmachine: High Command and the latter is from Hordes: High Command. What this does is give an actually surprisingly asymmetrical design. Some criticisms claim that the first 2 Base Sets (Warmachine/Hoardes) felt samey amoungst the Factions. By taking 1 from each, you can really experience diversity

2) These are Pre-constructed decks. What that means in the terms of context here is that you do not get the full High Command experience of constructing your supply by selecting 3 of your Warlock/Warcasters. There are only 3 per faction here, so you are locked into what they give you.

3) This can integrate with other High Command products.. While this is a limited selection of certain factions and certain cards for those factions, you can still integrate the "booster" expansions or even use them with the other High Command base sets; like Warmachine: High Command – Faith & Fortune which has neither of these factions in it.

4) There is a HUGE universe of expansions and options in the High Command system. Think of this as more of an appetizer-sampler. With 16 total factions and at least 13 expansions. Each expansion is formatted for a specific base set. Example: Warmachine: High Command – The Big Guns has cards for the 4 factions in Warmachine: High Command.

5) You do not NEED more stuff. Despite being a selection of only 'half' of the expected amount of cards, these decks have a fair amount of options in play. Magic the Gathering decks seemed to be more limiting in their selections to incentive more purchase. This is just a "low dive" as the Base Sets were MSRP $49.99

I was very confused and had little sources of info for my questions, so I hope this helps others looking into this product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Robinson
Canada
flag msg tools
So, I still have questions. If I get this and enjoy it, what is the next step? I don't like the idea of buying one of the large sets which will presumably replace one of the decks from this set and buying both would make this set obsolete. So what do you do? Don't you need the large sets to take advantage of the expansion sets?

I don't know, this seems like a confusing set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Brackenridge
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few large sets. And at least 1 of them has neither faction in it.

But yes, to get the most out of things you do want a big box; then maybe expansions.

Prices on Amazon were reasonable for moat things last I check. You can set price alerts on camelcamelcamel.com to wait for he Holiday price drops if desired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.