Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Sasvari
Hungary
Budapest
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmb
How else could we celebrate the prelude to the 1848-49 Revolution and War in Hungary on 15th of March, but leading the heroes of Limanowa into battle and stopping the Russian Steamroller!

We played three battles, with two scenarios (Siege of Gorlice and Occupation of Podolin). On the former, the Russian forces defend the town of Gorlice, headed by Nikolai Orlov and Vladimirovych Eck, while the two K.u.K. armies, led by Generals Imre Hady and Sandor Szurmay, are trying to break through; on the later scenario, the situation is reversed: Podolin is in the hands of the Austro-Hungarian army and the Russians try to take this by storming down from the mountains. Although there were heavy fights near these cities during WW1, the played battles are fictitious, they didn't happen in real life - not like the Battle of Limanowa, played on a 4-times larger map!
One of the developers (Manticor), two wargamer veterans and myself tried to trick our enemies, with varying success. One of the veterans already knew the game, but the other guy had no knowledge about it, he had to learn the rules on the fly - for me this was the second session with Limanowa, but I've played it's predecessor many-many times years ago.

Siege of Gorlice I.

12 rounds - this is the time the attacking Austro-Hungarian army has to take over Gorlice. After that the Russian reinforcements arrive, killing everyone on sight.
Manticor and I led the defending Russian army, with the two wargamers commanding the K.u.K. armies: Hadfy in light blue, Szurmay in dark blue, Orlov in dark green, Eck in light green.
This was a relative short brawl: the Hungarians stormed the Russian wall only to get immediately repelled. We finished the battle in 3 rounds, it took approximately 3/4 hour.
To be honest, the lack of experience greatly reduced the chances of the Hungarians: the set up of their armies and the too cunning tactics didn't play off as they wanted, and to worsen the situation, they didn't have luck with the dice as well.
General Szurmay fell in the first round, after he could not utilize neither his "Organised attack", nor the "Relegating attackers" ability: with the former he can deploy a unit next to the unit under his attack to launch an overwhelming group attack, with the later he can push back one of hostile units away from his position, and if the enemy cannot retreat, it suffers further damages. The infantry general launched a brave attack against his enemy, only to find himself next to Orlov, who strenghtens one of the units next to him: weakened by the covering fire of the Russian cannons, the general left the battlefield after a single counterattack.
Hadfy tried to break throught at the same spot, leaving a bunch of time for Eck to organise: by the time the Hungarians arrived under Gorlice, both Russian was prepared. Although at this stage even the dice rolls started to favor the blue armies and they managed to play their battle cards well, this did not save them. Almost all of their attacks turned into defense and in addition we could demolish them from behind, we had more cards from the destroyed units, we were in dominance in total: we had some answer to all of their moves, but we would have destroyed them even with brute in three more rounds.

By losing both of their generals, the Hungarian forces scattered and the Russians kept Gorlice.

Occupation of Podolin

We made slight rearrangements in the team, Manticor and the lesser experienced wargamer guy led the Hungarians, while I remained playing the Russians, and tried our luck with Jano to shoot the defenders.
All four armies received 6 units each, no generals: this is the simplest scenario, with the least maths, it's the easiest to learn the rules on this map.
During the game we learned some unwritten military rules on the hard way: first of all, if the enemy gets into your back, you can prepare for a two-fronted fight, which will mill your forces away, and second, it's not a good idea to lead a cavalry charge against a machine gun's nest buried into the mountainside, no matter if the stars are right...
At first we managed to set up our cannons in each others range, my beautiful green Russian cannon could reach the Hungarian 1875M: the first few turns were spent on the buried cannons firing at each other uninterrupted from the mountain top. This is a highly tactical map, meaning that the armies are very close to each other and you have to fight for every inch: one wrong step and the unlucky unit finds itself surrounded by the enemy!
With the constant cannonshots, we gave enough time for the two Hungarian Uhlans to slowly amble into my back: these units get bonus to their attack power if they attack a damaged enemy and because they were from different armies, I could expect two attacks from them each round. After they massacrated my infantry, they headed for my cannon, I had to flee away with it: without any support, it wouldn't last a single turn against them.
Being flanked and forced to waste one of my actions on fleeing, I stood no chance, anywhere I stepped, my units fell in one or two turns.
On the rear side my ally held up very good, he even had time to send his cavalry to sack the strategic targets and the battle cards awarded by them, far behind the enemy lines. Basicaly with that we took this unit out of action, because it would have taken many turns for it to get into position.
My army crumbled, ironicaly the only unit I had left in the end was my cannon, who fired heroically in the beginning; my ally's remaining forces tried to find the weak spot of the enemy lines, but our units fell faster than the enemy's.

We surrendered when we realized, there aren't enough rounds left to take over Podolin.
The battle ended in an hour. We had some failed decisions, but these were because of our lack of routine, next time we'll play differently.

Siege of Gorlice II.

Two games with the Russian - I wanted to play with the Hungarians too. We switched sides: I led the Szurmay Group, Manticor brought Hadfy into fight.
Like in real life, this battle was won by tactical mistakes: the Russian players thought they only need to wait for their reinforcements to win. They were mistaken.
In reality to win they would have to take up the fight, but since we didn't go near them on either side, they would have to brake out.
Orlov is not a fighting general, in contrast with Eck, who doesn't play well with defensive playstyle. On our side both Hadfy and Szurmay are frontline generals, but they need careful battlefield management: none of them shines in defense.
Manticor started very well: he managed to attack with Hadfy under constant covering fire from his cannon, disorienting the enemy and breaking through at the weakest spot - he killed one of the Russian Observers.
On the other side, I planted Szurmay on the furthest side of the map: waiting for any Russian brake-out attempts, I would immediately attack them in the back. In exchange my general needed to stay in one place for the whole game, unless he could jump on a sure prey.
Poor General Eck tried to attack after some rearrangement, but the only thing he achieved was that after a slight movement here and there we have torn both of their Machine Guns into pieces - which are Officer units, hence their strategic value is high!
Battle cards played a huge role during this game as well: not once came a card into play, which greatly changed the face of the battle, bringing out big laughter. General Orlov experienced this from first hand: one round his own Infantry stands next to him, securing the General defending the town, some time later with a "Forced March" card an enemy Infantry appears there, with a very angry Hadfy, behind them a big-ass Cannon. After some persuasion the Russian general gave up Gorlice, leaving Eck's only remaining and greatly wounded Infantry in town on it's own, who was shot by my Cannon in the next round.

This was probably the most exciting game of the three we played, but for sure this was the longest: it took almost one and a half hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Clarkson
United States
Watertown
NEW YORK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
when will the kick starter for this game start?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janos Balogh
Hungary
Mosonmagyarovar
Gyor-Moson-Sopron
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Gary!

As far as I know on 27.03.2016. so within a week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andras Komporday
msg tools
designer
Yes, we are going to start the campaign on March 27.

You can find us on Prefundia here if you'd like to get a notification before the start (though Prefundia is down at the moment, but we hope it'll be fixed soon):
http://bit.ly/2nGSJX3

Also, if you have any questions, ask away!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Sasvari
Hungary
Budapest
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmb
@docgeo1 Check the Print&Play version, it's almost the same which I played (99% the same) and write your own review about it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.