Subject: Continuation, one campaign into the next rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Meyer
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules do not explicitly answer this question: If a team of investigators successfully completes a campaign without getting killed, can that team continue on to another campaign, keeping the same decks, trauma, and chaos token pool?

Strictly speaking, the rules only allow fresh investigators (0xp) to start a campaign, but there is additional rules for standalone mode that give a formula for adding high level cards and taking weaknesses to compensate. Given this, the stronger cards should be acceptable to play any of the scenarios, as long as there is something negative to compensate for this extra power.

So far my group is allowing this continuation from one campaign to the next, because...

** CORE SET SPOILER AHEAD **
Spoiler (click to reveal)

the core set is very punishing and we have always received multiple trauma and additional weaknesses each time we play through it and additional bad chaos tokens in the pool.

Considering this, going into Dunwich legacy, these "veteran" teams do not seem significantly stronger than fresh teams.

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do it if it sounds fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might run out of upgrades at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At least the German rules allow an investigator to continue after an finished campaign .

You I think you could find this paragraph in the very last chapter of the campaign guide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.D. Flory
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Motoningennoken wrote:
There's the issue of physical and mental trauma. After enough scenarios your character should be a wreck.

Don't forget that in normal play, when an investigator is killed or insane due to trauma, or retires, you choose a new investigator and continue. You only "lose" when the supply of investigators is exhausted.

So if your're playing this variant, there's already a mechanism in place for losing investigators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.D. Flory
United States
New York
flag msg tools
jmmeye2 wrote:
The rules do not explicitly answer this question: If a team of investigators successfully completes a campaign without getting killed, can that team continue on to another campaign, keeping the same decks, trauma, and chaos token pool?

The standard rule is that you start a new investigator at the beginning of each campaign.

If you check the end of the Night of the Zealot campaign guide, it presents continuing as a variant. If you do, you would keep your deck (including weaknesses), trauma, experience and upgrades. It's not explicitly addressed, ut it makes sense to remove story assets from the completed campaign.

It's silent on the contents of the chaos bag. So far, the starting bags for the campaigns are similar, butadditional tokens do seem to represent various things. Without going into spoilers, I would recommend just resetting the bag, or failing that, deciding on whether to keep each additional token based on why it was added. That's obviously a bit fuzzy though.

I suspect that by the end of Dunwich, if you continue your bag from Zealot, there's the possibility you'll run out of certain tokens (if using a single core box).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that one just for the best things about physical board games is that you can house rule any variant you like. It has already been noted that there are rules in place for switching to a new investigator if one completely dies. The main consequence I could see is that a veteran investigator might die/go insane earlier in a campaign compared to starting fresh. That would mean part way through you are more likely to be using a brand new character for a mission that is balanced for experienced decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.