Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich Radgoski
United States
Gouldsboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all

Played a fantastic first game with my son and a friend. We did have a few questions that I couldn't seem to resolve.

1. What happens when you run out of cubes during production? Is there a limit or do you substitute? (Being able to produce 7+ in multiple categories seems like running out of cubes was easy for us to do)

2. If you have a limit, do you decide on what you want to produce first or must you go in order after moving energy to heat?

3. Is Noctis placed via the "Capital" card? While that seems like the case, it would have been nice if it actually stated the Capital's name.

4. What do you use to mark Algae, Animal, etc on some of these cards? We were using the colored cubes and just ran out of cubes even faster.

5. Can you use something else? Will it break the game?

Many thanks!

EDIT - We were using the wrong cubes to mark production and 'algae/Animal, etc' We wouldn't run out using the metallics! We were using the players colored cubes. Many thanks for your answers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkobla Conn wrote:
1. What happens when you run out of cubes during production? Is there a limit or do you substitute? (Being able to produce 7+ in multiple categories seems like running out of cubes was easy for us to do)

You ran out of metallic cube ?

Quote:
4. What do you use to mark Algae, Animal, etc on some of these cards? We were using the colored cubes and just ran out of cubes even faster.

The resource cubes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1.) Substitute. Not a hard limit.

2.) No limit.

3.) If I recall correctly, Noctis has its own card. The capital just uses a city the white city tile (couldn't remember). Again, going from memory.

4.) Yes, the cubes are what you use.

5.) You could use a substitute.

With only a 3p game, I'm wondering if you're doing something wrong. I played 5p and didn't run out of cubes. You know that they're values are 1/5/10, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Parker Altice
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you know that the clear cubes are used for three things: to denote ownership (such as on a city or greenery), to denote current production value or terraform rating, and to denote an action completed in current round on a blue card?

The metallic coated cubes represent individual units, such as amount of heat at your disposal, current number of mega credits, or number of algae on a cube. They are in 1, 5 and 10 quantities. In my games, we never stockpiled so many units that we ran out of the metal cubes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mazzone
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Make sure you are using the metallic copper/silver/gold cubes for resources. You only use your player cubes for the production tracks under each resource, and to mark your tiles on the board.

2. There is no limit to how high your production can go, or how many resources can be stored at once.

3. Noctis City is placed when using card #17 (Noctis City). When played, place a generic city tile on the Noctis City hex on the board. Capital is played when using card #8 (Capital). When played, place the white special city tile anywhere you like, obeying normal rules. (plus it scores extra at the end of the game).

4. Use the metallic cubes when placing markers on blue cards, again your own colored cubes are used for marking hex ownership and your production tracks.

5. As there are no hard limits for anything you mentioned, yes, you can use just about anything anywhere for the most part. If for some reason you run out of your own colored cubes (prob only possible in a 2 player game), feel free to use another colored cube not in use as if it were in your supply. You are not limited in any way by your stack of cubes.

Hope that helps!
caravan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Arkobla Conn wrote:

As others have mentioned, you shouldn't run out of cubes, even in a five-player game. I sounds like you're using the clear player marker cubes for your resources, when you should be using the three different metallic cubes.

Quote:
2. If you have a limit, do you decide on what you want to produce first or must you go in order after moving energy to heat?

See above. You shouldn't ever have to decide what gets priority, since there are plenty of metallic cubes. If you do, you can always find some other marker to denote your resources.

Quote:
3. Is Noctis placed via the "Capital" card? While that seems like the case, it would have been nice if it actually stated the Capital's name.

No, all of the cards that allow players to play on the three reserved spaces have the same name. I made this mistake just last weekend, placing the Capital on Noctis, and a few turns later, another player drew the Noctis card. The special Capital tile doesn't go on that space, despite the color similarity; a normal city tile goes on the Noctis space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Marema
United States
Ellisville
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't run out of cubes at any player count.

Are you sure you aren't making the common mistake of not moving to the next turn until everyone passes? In each Generation, players keep doing 1-2 actions during their turn and you keep going around and around until ALL players pass. Only after all players pass, do you move onto the next Generation. That means, during each Generation, each player can have several turns in which they can perform 1-2 actions.

Commonly, when people remark that they're running out of cubes, this is what they are doing wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Radgoski
United States
Gouldsboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AH HA

we didn't use the metallic cubes for anything but Mega Credits

We were using the colored cubes for everything else!

Many thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cabral
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I would change the smaller copper cubes to silver or gold so that you never run out. With 3 players it seems like you shouldn't run out of cubes. How many generations did you play? You have unlimited turns within a generation, not only 1 or 2 actions. Once you pass you wait for all the other players to pass.

2. No limit.

3. The Capital Card is different from Noctis City. Noctis is played with its own patent card and uses a regular city tile. The Capital card uses the white tile and can be placed anywhere a city can be legally placed.
Reference: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1647788/noctis-city

4. Short Answer: You use the copper, silver and gold cubes.
Long answer: Any blue card that has an arrow for an action (Action: place one microbe) can be used once a generation. You keep track by placing one of your player markers. During Production phase you remove your player markers so that they can be used again in the next generation. The copper/silver/gold cubes remain as they represent the actual number of microbes/animals/algae, etc.

5. If you actually do run out of cubes keep track on paper or some other substitute. I think you may have been playing only 2 actions per generation which would give you a huge surplus of everything. Remember it is 1 or 2 actions, 2nd player 1 or 2 actions, 3rd player 1 or 2 actions, 1st player 1 or 2 actions or pass and repeat until everyone has passed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cabral
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkobla Conn wrote:
AH HA

Many thanks

The player colour markers are used for many things. Rule of thumb, you should only have only one player cube on something. The exception to this is when you go past 10 production on something. Such as 11 production would need 2 player cubes, 1 cube on 10 and one cube on 1. 22 production of something needs 3 cubes, 2 stacked on 10 and 1 cube one 2. 35 would need 4 player cubes, 3 cubes on 10 and 1 cube on 5.

Player cubes:
- Marking your TR/VP
- Denoting ownership of tiles
- Award sponsorship and Milestones
- Denoting you have used an action on a blue patent card for that generation

Copper, silver and Gold cubes are multi-use to show the quantity of something:
Megacredits, steel, titanium, plants, energy, heat on the player board. Cubes are placed on blue patent cards to quantify how many Microbes, animals, algae you have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Heath
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkobla Conn wrote:
AH HA

Many thanks

A dangerous way to play. A slight bump of the poor player mat and who knows what was where.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkobla Conn wrote:
AH HA

Many thanks

Been there, done that blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkobla Conn wrote:
AH HA

Many thanks

It took me a bit of digging to find this thread, but my first game last Sunday this was exactly what happened to us as well (we were all new players - I taught the game from just reading the rulebook a few hours beforehand). We just naturally assumed that your individual colored cubes were used for resources (except for Megacredits, for which we used the shiny painted metallic cubes.). But then one person was generating 11 heat per production, and so we said "I guess we can just use these money cubes as resource cubes as a substitute."

After driving home from Origins, I was ruminating about the game and I swore we played it incorrectly. Never did it dawn on me that the player colored cubes are for cities/forests/blue-card/production levels, and that the metallic cubes are for ALL of the resources, not just the Megacredits.

Duh!!!

(By the way, based on the graphics, I want to call them "MegaEuros", but that hasn't seem to have caught on. Oh well.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisnd wrote:
(By the way, based on the graphics, I want to call them "MegaEuros", but that hasn't seem to have caught on. Oh well.)

I could live with 'Mega-Euros' but one player of my group insists on calling it 'MEuro' - and I detest this term!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The money is called megacredits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.