David Greene
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How is this for 2 players?

And to those who have played this at multiple player counts, how does the 2-player game compare to the game at other counts?

Thank you very much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest difference between a four-player game and a two- or three-player game is information: In a four-player game all the cards are present so you know that everything is possible (seven-cards all the same, seven-cards all different, etc.); in the two- and three- player games cards have been removed -- so some combinations are no longer possible, but the players do not know which.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Baraf
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is best if players respond, but I think the game plays great at all play counts. A 2 player game is inherently more competitive, but the missing information (described above) helps tone that down. Still light, fast fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 26 plays logged. 13 two players, 9 three players, 2 four players, and 2 where I only logged me as a player, so I guess I played solo, although I can't remember doing that…

I really like this game a lot at all player counts.

I've also experimented with revealing the removed cards as the play moves along. For example revealing one or two cards each round, to simulate that being the "missing" player who is drawing and revealing cards into their private garden, out of reach for the rest of us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave S.
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only had the chance to play it a couple of times, and only with 2 players. My wife and I really enjoyed it. We like not knowing what cards were removed as it adds a bit to the push your luck mechanism. Although the suggestion to slowly reveal the cards throughout the game sounds fun too.

My wife and I play games over dinner time a lot, and this is perfect for that as we were able to get in a couple games before dessert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
We were ambivalent about Herbaceous with two players. We loved the theme/art and were happy to play the game over dinner but were never really impressed by the gameplay itself. We mostly played for the quiet enjoyment of planting our little gardens.

Then we played it with three and four players - three was better, four was great! I'm generally not one to advocate for higher player counts in games since basically all my gameplay is two-player only, but boy did we ever have fun with four players. It's more competitive, there's more tension, and just more "action" overall with the center cards changing more frequently. We've been unable to bring ourselves to play it with two ever since and need to wait for the next family gathering to bring it out again.

Although now that I write this I'm wondering if there's a way to simulate more players or do something like the Free City in 7 Wonders (which we love). Hmm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.