Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Note: Heroes of Land, Air & Sea "ALL-IN" features 8 factions of miniatures broken down into Peons, Warriors & Heroes.

Would you prefer each faction have a unique color plastic for the minis? ie. Dwarves = Red, Humans = Blue etc.

OR

Would you prefer each rank (Peon, Warrior, Hero) have a unique color and base clips are provided for differentiating factions? ie. Peons = Gray, Warriors = Blue etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
100% each faction have their own color.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
assuming each sculpt is unique (and i assume they are) i see no reason not to color them by faction. (not by rank)

i had no problem with this in the original KS. if you feel a need to differentiate by rank, have the clips on the base represent the rank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I think unique color per faction would be best. Since the heroes are painted, they are easy to distinguish. Though you might want base clips for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Scharpf
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Color per faction, please!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:

+1

+2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes color per faction please
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked the original colors for each faction.

(Yay! Finally a new post! Was getting really tired of that "...ilk" post)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Desferous wrote:
I liked the original colors for each faction.

I did too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Klaxas wrote:
if you feel a need to differentiate by rank, have the clips on the base represent the rank.

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
Colour by faction. Not sure if this is an option, but some games have different shape bases for different ranks (circle for foot troop, triangle for cavalry, square for siege engine). The figures look really big so this is probably unnecessary, but if it came up in play testing at all "which figure is that?" then maybe this is an option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hannes Rosner
Austria
Bruck an der Leitha
flag msg tools
mbmb
I definitly prefer a colour for each faction. I also really liked the colours from the last kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Your Mama
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each faction with its own color would be my preference.

You could use snap on color bases to identify the warrior or heroes if you need to differentiate rank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rook96 wrote:
Colour by faction. Not sure if this is an option, but some games have different shape bases for different ranks (circle for foot troop, triangle for cavalry, square for siege engine). The figures look really big so this is probably unnecessary, but if it came up in play testing at all "which figure is that?" then maybe this is an option.

This +1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molina
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rook96 wrote:
\

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias M
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a general guide line: Color by faction. Faction is much more important than unit type (rank).

But please make sure:
A) that peons and warriors can easily be recognized as such
B) that there is at least some way to associate pre-painted heroes with their corresponding faction. (Easiest solution: unpainted bases.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alexgw itsme
msg tools
Colour by faction
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Herschbach
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TIM0THY wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:

+1

+2

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Justice
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
color by faction, definitely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin van Unen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Colour per faction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Black
msg tools
CMON has started coloring their minis by rank and using color bases for each player color. Let's say this game ends up with (just throwing a random number out there) 20 different factions. At said point, how would you easily be able to separate factions by color if you have a little bit of color blindness or if the colors are extremely close? Gamelyn, do you think that there are 20 or even 30 different distinguishable colors you could make factions out of? If not, you might be limiting the longevity of the game. Also, what if I have a unit with a special ability to mind control another unit? The easiest way to distinguish that unit as mine now is to simply remove it's base and replace it with a base of my color. It's also easier to make decision on where you're going to initiate if units are colored by rank. I really do think that CMON's switch to using this approach shouldn't be ignored as they're experts when it comes to miniatures and should highly be considered

Gamelyn, why don't you buy or go play Rum & Bones Second Tide and see how it feels playing a game where minis are colored by rank? I think this could be super helpful for you in determining if the logic I presented above actually holds true or not, as it's a game that uses the approach in question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jdbc59 wrote:
CMON has started coloring their minis by rank and using color bases for each player color. Let's say this game ends up with (just throwing a random number out there) 20 different factions. At said point, how would you easily be able to separate factions by color if you have a little bit of color blindness or if the colors are extremely close? Gamelyn, do you think that there are 20 or even 30 different distinguishable colors you could make factions out of? If not, you might be limiting the longevity of the game. Also, what if I have a unit with a special ability to mind control another unit? The easiest way to distinguish that unit as mine now is to simply remove it's base and replace it with a base of my color. It's also easier to make decision on where you're going to initiate if units are colored by rank. I really do think that CMON's switch to using this approach shouldn't be ignored as they're experts when it comes to miniatures and should highly be considered

Gamelyn, why don't you buy or go play Rum & Bones Second Tide and see how it feels playing a game where minis are colored by rank? I think this could be super helpful for you in determining if the logic I presented above actually holds true or not, as it's a game that uses the approach in question.

this is a good point. if there are that many factions it might be worth it. but then again, i find coloring by rank would be obnoxious. if they are going to go bases for player color i would rather them all be grey (like cry havoc)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed the cancelled KS and will back the relaunch barring anything crazy and would greatly prefer each faction gets their own player color much like Cthulhu Wars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. We will be going with faction colored miniatures. The base color will match the faction color, so in the instance of painted minis, they will be identifiable by their faction colored base. See you all May 4th!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.