David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
So most people don't get the lore behind General Tagge's "More Dangerous Than You Realize" card. They seem to think the card represents Tagge being more dangerous than the rebels realize and thus gaining a bonus in combat.

The reverse is actually true.

So if you're unfamilior the line that's being quoted it is from that scene from episode 4 where all the generals are talking imperial whatnot and Tagge is the one guy who is all
"Hey guys, these rebels freaking stole our Death Star Plans. That's kinda a big deal. We should freak."

and everybody else is all "Nah chill fam"

and Tagge is all "But the rebels are more dangerous than you realize."

"Maybe to your starfleet commander, not to this battle station... bitch." (which is a reference to the empire kinda getting it's ass kicked during the battle of Scarif I think.)

Hm... maybe I remember the conversation a little differently than how it actually went down but you get the idea.

So basically what the card represents is Tagge literally being the only imperial leader who isn't a pompous ass and doesn't woefully underestimate the rebels. Which is hilarious because it means that imperial stuckupadness (yes it's a word. Look it up) accounts for 3 freaking tactics cards.

In lore Tagge got like all the promotions after the battle of Yavin since he was the one guy who was like "called it" (and not being dead) and ended up becoming a pompous ass anyway because of it.
Which explains why the card is a one shot.

This means even the least pompous imperial leader can only be so for so long before he becomes so by osmosis.

TL;DR More Dangerous Than You Realize could legitimately be renamed to "Not Pompous Ass"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
It's kind of interesting, too, that the only reason he IS alive is because Leia lied to them about Dantooine, and he was sent to go investigate. He was still away when the thing went Boom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
It's kind of interesting, too, that the only reason he IS alive is because Leia lied to them about Dantooine, and he was sent to go investigate. He was still away when the thing went Boom.

"Who should we send to go investigate Dantooine?"

"How about Tagge?"

"Yeah that guys is a jerk. Always questioning our infallibility and saying the rebels have a legitimate chance to hurt us. Get him out of here."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Stonemark
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shouldn't Motti have been the one to go, actually being an Admiral(should have had command of fleet).
Yet General Tagge(should be ground troops) was the sole leader sent? Seems like they should of at least sent an actual Fleet person along with Tagge, maybe they did. Ozzel and Piett had Veers in command of their ground forces, Yet Tagge was responsible for the whole kit and kaboodle...?

Funny how "Admiral" Motti apparantly discharged all fleet responsibility to the General, even said it was Tagge's starfleet. Motti was a pompous ass. One of Tarkin's worst decision was telling Vader to release him...then he may not of heeded Motti's arrogent advice...who knows?...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars plays extremely fast and loose with military ranks. General Lando commands the fighter attack on the Death Star, for example. General Grievous commands the droid army in space and on the ground. Etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
redblackmonkey wrote:
Shouldn't Motti have been the one to go, actually being an Admiral(should have had command of fleet).
Yet General Tagge(should be ground troops) was the sole leader sent? Seems like they should of at least sent an actual Fleet person along with Tagge, maybe they did. Ozzel and Piett had Veers in command of their ground forces, Yet Tagge was responsible for the whole kit and kaboodle...?

Funny how "Admiral" Motti apparantly discharged all fleet responsibility to the General, even said it was Tagge's starfleet. Motti was a pompous ass. One of Tarkin's worst decision was telling Vader to release him...then he may not of heeded Motti's arrogent advice...who knows?...

The distinction between general and admiral in game mechanics doesn't really exist in lore.

The way military structure works in Star Wars really doesn't have a real world analogous example. Which makes sense given that space combat is kinda a totally different thing than anything we have here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's consistent in Empire as far as it goes—generals (Veers, Rieekan) in charge on the ground, admirals (Ozzel, Piett) in space—but gets weird in Jedi, and in the prequel trilogy EVERYONE'S a general.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey GENERAL Solo, how about you take direct command of a couple of squads for an op on Endor?

I know it is more men than you normally command, being a General and all. If you do well, maybe we will promote you to Field Marshall; that way you could command maybe 40 or 50 guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
I give the rebels a pass on using incorrect military titles as they're kinda a rag tag group that doesn't have as established a military hierarchy as the empire. Often in those types of situations titles will be given out more to just boost moral than anything else.

"Hey Lando, come work for us. The empire is after you now after all."

"I dunno... Chewie kinda choked me that one time and I can hide from the empire well enough..."

"What if we all call you 'General Calrissian?'"

"Sign me the hell up"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, don't forget, someone told them about that little maneuver he did at the Battle of Taanab, too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saro Gumusyan

New York
msg tools
mb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
It's consistent in Empire as far as it goes—generals (Veers, Rieekan) in charge on the ground, admirals (Ozzel, Piett) in space—but gets weird in Jedi, and in the prequel trilogy EVERYONE'S a general.

On a production note they also lost track of Imperial rank badges in Jedi, as Admiral Piett goes from 6-on-6 to 3-on-3. Must be an in-universe explanation I'm sure.

It's too bad the footage of General Madine commanding a Mon Cal cruiser didn't make the final cut, I think they shot him in case the Admiral Ackbar command chair shots didn't work.

But to the subject at hand Tagge's card is pretty good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastiaan Ringoot
msg tools

As this topic derailed into a general chat about military stuff, can anyone explain the ranks on the uniforms in for example Rogue one? There's red squares and blue squares. What do they mean? More is better I reckon but what's the difference between the colours?

Much obliged!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sringoot wrote:

As this topic derailed into a general chat about military stuff, can anyone explain the ranks on the uniforms in for example Rogue one? There's red squares and blue squares. What do they mean? More is better I reckon but what's the difference between the colours?

Much obliged!

Red is for ground Tactics, blue for space Tactics. You don't see it in the movie, but they draw cards before each battle. Maybe they well include those scenes in the outtakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
Sringoot wrote:

Much obliged!

Wookiepedia when in doubt: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rank_insignia_of_the_Galactic...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lindén
Sweden
Lund
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David Umstattd wrote:
So most people don't get the lore behind General Tagge's "More Dangerous Than You Realize" card. They seem to think the card represents Tagge being more dangerous than the rebels realize and thus gaining a bonus in combat.

The reverse is actually true.

So if you're unfamilior the line that's being quoted it is from that scene from episode 4 where all the generals are talking imperial whatnot and Tagge is the one guy who is all
"Hey guys, these rebels freaking stole our Death Star Plans. That's kinda a big deal. We should freak."

and everybody else is all "Nah chill fam"

and Tagge is all "But the rebels are more dangerous than you realize."

"Maybe to your starfleet commander, not to this battle station... bitch." (which is a reference to the empire kinda getting it's ass kicked during the battle of Scarif I think.)

Hm... maybe I remember the conversation a little differently than how it actually went down but you get the idea.

So basically what the card represents is Tagge literally being the only imperial leader who isn't a pompous ass and doesn't woefully underestimate the rebels. Which is hilarious because it means that imperial stuckupadness (yes it's a word. Look it up) accounts for 3 freaking tactics cards.

In lore Tagge got like all the promotions after the battle of Yavin since he was the one guy who was like "called it" (and not being dead) and ended up becoming a pompous ass anyway because of it.
Which explains why the card is a one shot.

This means even the least pompous imperial leader can only be so for so long before he becomes so by osmosis.

TL;DR More Dangerous Than You Realize could legitimately be renamed to "Not Pompous Ass"

I'm glad you picked this up. I was also thinking about it when I saw that card… He's the one who says the line - but it doesn't refer to himself… In fact there are more cards that work the opposite to their context in the films.

"It's a trap" is Ackbars memorable exclamation when the rebels discovers they've been cornered by the imperial fleet. Not a trick Akbar pulls up his sleeves.

"Bobba Fett, Where?" Is what Han Solo says right before he accidentally kills him. Not an awesome move by Bobba Fett.

I have a feeling the designers just picked lines from the movies and ignored the context of those lines when deciding on the card text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually think the card does match the thematics. I don't necessarily think it means Tagge himself is more dangerous, but simply that he sees the threat the Rebels have and thus (when the card is used) he comes more prepared than otherwise would be normal. It's still the Rebels that are "more dangerous than you realize", but Tagge is the one who sees it and does something about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
Alandor wrote:

"It's a trap" is Ackbars memorable exclamation when the rebels discovers they've been cornered by the imperial fleet. Not a trick Akbar pulls up his sleeves.

This one kinda works as basically what is happening is Ackbar is realizing the shenanigans the empire is planning and thus responding in a way so that the empire is unable to perform those shenanigans for one round.

So Ackbar isn't springing a trap. He's noticing the trap and avoiding it. Nullifying it's effects for one turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
I actually think the card does match the thematics. I don't necessarily think it means Tagge himself is more dangerous, but simply that he sees the threat the Rebels have and thus (when the card is used) he comes more prepared than otherwise would be normal. It's still the Rebels that are "more dangerous than you realize", but Tagge is the one who sees it and does something about it.

Yeah I agree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.