Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Haney
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

We love this game but we've been looking for a way to greatly reduce set up and tear down time. The MeepleRealty insert looks really great but there's no way in hell I'm spending $60+ on an insert so I built this one. I tried to keep it as simple as possible with speed as the main focus and I think it works pretty well. It wasn't hard to make so I hope you all find this helpful:

I ditched the included insert so the bottom level contains the class envelopes and miniature boxes along with three removable boxes: the left most box includes all the locked items, travel and city events, character goals and stuff you don't need typically for every game. the middle one holds the current city and travel decks as well as monster modifier deck, other modifier cards, battle goals, etc. Basically all the cards you need game to game. the rightmost box holds all the monster decks alphabetized and indexed for easy set up.

On top of the boxes containing the minis is a tray for all the obstacles, traps and doors and such as well as the monster stat cards and envelopes (underneath the stat cards.)

Next we have the monster standee tray (copied the MeepleRealty one)which fits perfectly on top and alongside the class envelopes. slotted lid keeps all the standees in place (Visible next pic.)

This next tray holds all the chits you use every game (health, status, coin, etc.) which also has a lid keeping everything in place.

Finally all the crazy-ass shaped dungeon tiles, books, sticker sheets all go on top and the lid closes completely with some room to spare.

With this set up, I really only need to remove three boxes to work from during the game; one for set up and two to pull from during the game more or less.

Thanks for reading. Let me know what you think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug D
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks really nice!!!

Do you sleeve any of your cards at all, if so, how do they fit?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks amazing! By any chance do you have a blueprint with dimensions? I'd love to give it a go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Haney
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Opticus wrote:
Looks really nice!!!

Do you sleeve any of your cards at all, if so, how do they fit?

Thanks

No, I don't sleeve the cards. I can't say for sure but I don't think it would be a problem to make the boxes a bit larger to accommodate sleeves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson Mertlich
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
orabbi wrote:
Looks amazing! By any chance do you have a blueprint with dimensions? I'd love to give it a go!

Seconded! I've been wanting a better solution but having never made one before I'd love some guidance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Yu
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Nice job! I like the way you organized your cards by use and functionality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Haney
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
orabbi wrote:

I typically just 'wing it' with my inserts; I try to place everything in the box and start measuring and cutting on the fly. I know the two boxes holding the larger cards were 4"x5" and the smaller box was 3 1/2" x 5". The box holding the dungeon stuff and monster stat cards was 11" x 5" as was the chit box at the top of the stack. Monster box was the measurement of the space to the right of the class envelopes; you'll have to measure but it was 11" x 9" x 1"...something close to that. Sorry its not more precise; like I said I was winging it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Haney
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lanchung wrote:
Nice job! I just posted my insert recently too but I like the way you organized your cards.

Yeah I saw yours just before I posted this one; you really did a fantastic job with a lot of attention to detail I can appreciate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham
Australia
Sunshine Coast
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great. Seems like you need to dig to the bottom to get miniatures, but you have enough room in the height to make a tray for them to be closer to the top for easy access.
Nice job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Haney
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yexil wrote:
Looks great. Seems like you need to dig to the bottom to get miniatures, but you have enough room in the height to make a tray for them to be closer to the top for easy access.
Nice job.

Thanks. the minis aren't really a problem since you remove the tray directly on top of them anyway. and they are the last thing we place in the dungeon anyway so it all works out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Haney
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OsirisSaline wrote:
Wow, I really like this, it's clean, ideal for a quick set up time, and fits in the box with no problems.

If you have any plans you could upload to the file section I'm sure dozens & dozens of us would be happy to fling you some GG & thumbs up!

Thanks, I appreciate it but like I said, I really just winged it; measuring as I went along. I have no idea how to use those programs that generate plans. OLD SCHOOL!

I'll measure everything and post it here as soon as I can if that'll help.

BTW we played again over lunch and set up time was GREATLY improved with this! I'm super happy with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew D
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
Awesome design! I might have to try and make one. Didn't see the standee bases and triple hex tiles in the pics though, can I ask where those go?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Haney
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks!
Standee bases are in a baggie in amongst the tiles. FYI I also swapped the bases out with some bases from Eldritch Horror (they give you a ton extra.) I saw another guy do this on these boards and they work so much better: easier to attach, easier to see the board, smaller, etc.
The triple hex tiles are below the monster envelopes and stat cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the layout you choose for this, hiding the miniature boxes underneath the dungeon tray. I drafted up my own Foamcore "plans" based on your layout and uploaded to the files section (who knows if/when GeekMod will approve it).

It has some basic measurements (calculated using Excel whistle) and I haven't started to build it yet, so the numbers may be slightly off.

Edit: File approved. Foam Core Insert design for Gloomhaven. I already started to build it and indeed the numbers are off by a little bit. I under-sized in my plans, the actual pieces I ended up cutting are slightly larger, since I didn't frame the box with Foam Core I had about 1.5cm of extra space on all sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.