Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As an owner of the second edition with expansion, my reactions when unboxing were:

• Boy this box is heavy for such a small shipping package...

• Oh, its shipped with almost no padding, efficient but I'm glad the corner didn't get smashed. Ironic that it was shipped FedEx with a UPS bag inside - was this Ares Magazine a bonus for the delays or was it extras that didn't sell that was used for some padding?

• This is the biggest SMG box I've seen - it will fit nicely on the shelf with all the other modern square box titles.

• Wow, its packed to the top with stuff, and a single panel of the board is the size of the box... that's going to be a big sized map.

• Four nice sized manuals, quite a bit of content to read here... a shame its glossy paper that will catch glare from all the lights.

• Oh my, look at this large print with lots of whitespace... even my horrible eyes can easily make out the text. Decent use of images and the layout is nice.

• Nice to have the solar system charts as its own component, a shame they didn't come up with anything for the back of it.

• The solar system chart and player boards are all nice heavy chipboard - I'm sure most will like that, but with the cards overhanging the bottom I think I might have preferred cardstock sheets.

• Oooh, neat - the player boards are double sided. A shame they didn't put the "Basic FUEL STRIP" and "Colonization FUEL STRIP" in the same spot - or just labelled them in the upper right with 'Basic Game' and 'Colonization Game' instead.

• Okay, lets look at these boar- oh my, they are six panel boards and each is as big as an 8 panel COIN series map!

• I really like this extra large map - I can read everything without eye strain again. They also have nice information on the board. I can't wait to play this... at my FLGS! A shame it will have to wait until I'm done playtesting BIOS Megafauna 2.

• Pretty much standard Sierra Madre Games title components - wooden bits and bingo chips. Sort of glad about that, I like the abstract generic components.

• Huh, these rocket model pieces are nicer than I expected - definitely more thematic than the 50s style rocket from 2nd edition. I wonder if you use the cylinders and rockets together on the fuel track.

• Nice, more cards. Can't wait to explore this version more.

• Both style of water tokens? Don't think I need 240 water tank tokens. Oh, these bead versions have a solidly flat surface and a slightly rounded one, that's a shame...

...which leads me to the bonus game: stack the water tank beads! How many can you get - I'm clumsy and only managed to stack 8 so far. No cheating and using the bingo chips instead!

Overall, for the price I paid at the kickstarter and worth the MSRP, it is a fine product. How does it compare to other $100 games? I think most modern board gamers would like some aspects of it (like the huge map option), but would be disappointed with the wooden bits and winks. I think many would prefer chipboard punchouts that were illustrated and made reading the board easier.

A lot of money must have gone into that gorgeous board - but if you know this game, then you know that advancing science results in constant updates and buying new poster maps from Zazzle (and that you can also say screw the upgrading map and just play with what you got). The rulebooks are wonderful and copious, but living rules are a norm for the designer. Again, you can just be happy with the rules as written and enjoy playing.

Am I happy with the game? Yes. Do I absolve Ares Magazine/OSS of its poor communication during the kickstarter campaign now that I have it? No. Heck, I have the game but not the print-and-play files and that is just wrong. I feel genuinely bad for those that backed the pnp only tier who get to hear of everyone else getting their games long before they got their version. Unless they get a critical title like this again, I won't be backing their kickstarters until I hear they have improved significantly or are being mentored by a reputable person/company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy should arrive this week. Now that I've read about it, I'll probably have to try stacking the water beads before I even crack the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Bedz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Verbosity wrote:
A shame it will have to wait until I'm done playtesting BIOS Megafauna 2.

Wait... WHAT? When? Where? I ended reading your post right here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
misioooo wrote:
Verbosity wrote:

BIOS Megafauna 2 and Origins 2 will come next AFAIK. As well as Bios Genesis 2. You may then play a chain of games from Genesis to Interstellar. A legacy experience which could be better than just Pandemic. Did I mention pandemia? In Bios Genesis there is THE Pandemia. Parasites attacking and exterminating whole species, cancer killing hard-evolved macroorganisms on a large scale, mutations poisoning whole oceans or lands, radiation harnessing every complex living organism. Even in HF an unhandled singularity may kill every human on board and in Interstellar there is again cancer, Alzheimer and a terrific gray goo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
improove wrote:
misioooo wrote:
Verbosity wrote:

BIOS Megafauna 2 and Origins 2 will come next AFAIK. As well as Bios Genesis 2. You may then play a chain of games from Genesis to Interstellar. A legacy experience which could be better than just Pandemic. Did I mention pandemia? In Bios Genesis there is THE Pandemia. Parasites attacking and exterminating whole species, cancer killing hard-evolved macroorganisms on a large scale, mutations poisoning whole oceans or lands, radiation harnessing every complex living organism. Even in HF an unhandled singularity may kill every human on board and in Interstellar there is again cancer, Alzheimer and a terrific gray goo.

I hope these aren't kickstarted and sold right though SMG (selfishly).

But either way, I'll preorder both when they're ready. Friends are somewhat interested in my copy of BIOS Megafauna, but I'm not sure they'd like it, so I keep pushing it off. A streamlined second edition would be great.

I selfishly don't want to let them play Origins because it's so hard to find and I don't want to risk any damage to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
misioooo wrote:
Verbosity wrote:

I don't remember where I saw the post, but I found a 3 month old one from Phil Eklund looking for BIOS Megafauna 2 playtesters in February - since 1st edition was my favorite game to play I responded to see if he was still looking for playtesters and got in.

My understanding is they are pushing hard to get it out for this years Essen release (the goal to get it done before Brexit due to the volume of business he does there). BIOS Genesis 2 (with an upgrade kit) will be kickstarter. I think they will get it out this year, but no guarantees. I don't know what I really should say about it, but I'll go with it is more of the type of game I would bring to a game night and less of the solo simulation. Oh, and it will tie into BIOS Genesis as a continuing epic game (no matter what the end state of the game in B:G was)... so keep an eye on the BIOS Megafauna page and buy it on preorder so BIOS Origins gets made. Then you can play Genesis -> Interstellar in one epic game.

...but this is the High Frontier 3rd Edition forum - we are suppose to be talking about that! Lets get back on topic. My wife pointed out one observation I failed to make:

• Oh, cool - the player boards are now landscape instead of portrait - so there is more room on the boards for stuff.

(Okay, I knew that from the preview of the boards and the new way of doing fuel, but it slipped my grasp during this unboxing).

Again, the 2' x 3' maps (Colonization and Interstellar) is nice but I can't really read the text at the far corners from me when sitting - but when assembled into a massive 3' x 4' map I can easily see the vital information at a glance. Two mounted maps of six 12" panels is just really impressive - like, War of the Ring Anniversary map size impressive. The giant size stuff is great for me, its like 'Night of Man' giant-ness (a tactical game with 1" counters set in a post-alien invasion future... expensive, but fun).

I'm a little irked at not getting the pdfs yet, as I wanted to make enlarged components like cards and player mats... I guess I'll have them scanned long before the pdf files are delivered.

Still, my first impression of the physical copy is overwhelmingly positive - and I think any game store would do good to get this on their shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Love
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Complete noob question here, but is it possible to read the game rules PDFs before the game arrives in the mail?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Mikael Hansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zombiewarrior07 wrote:
Complete noob question here, but is it possible to read the game rules PDFs before the game arrives in the mail?

Yes, there are download links to them in the contents list at http://ossgamescart.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&pro...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Love
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
unic wrote:
zombiewarrior07 wrote:

Yes, there are download links to them in the contents list at http://ossgamescart.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&pro...

Thanks unic, much appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I managed to stack 10 high, but that was on a cutting mat, not a hard surface so perhaps it should have an "*" by it.

And yes, I did try stacking before I even opened the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.