Subject: How to calculate Time Units? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Zwanger
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Some examples -- how many TU are spent in each? (Not counting rolls of the time die -- the time die is very straightforward.)

1) The Agents have just arrived at a new location. The Captain reads the A card. Agent #1 goes to card B, Agent #2 goes to card C, Agent #3 goes to card D. They read those cards and no tests are needed.

2) As with #1, but Agent #1 acquires an item.

3) As with #1, but card D instructs: "Go to card E."

4) As with #1, but card D instructs: "You may go to Location 6." The Agents decide to go to Location 6.

5) As with #1, but then the Agents also go to cards E, F, and G. They read those cards and still no tests are needed.

6) The Agents have just arrived at a new location. The Captain reads the A card. Agent #1 goes to card B, Agent #2 goes to card C, Agent #3 goes to card D. Agent #2 and Agent #3 are now in combat and makes a test. Agent #2 defeats the opponent but Agent #3 doesn't, so Agent #2 goes to card D to help Agent #3 in combat.

7) On their second run, the Agents arrive at the first location but don't want to stay, so they immediate decide to change locations.

Related questions:

8) Agent #1 and Agent #2 are in combat and have just rolled their tests and spent 1 TU. Agent #1 dies. The combat runs very long and Agent #2 continues to make tests but neither defeats her opponent nor takes damage. How many tests will Agent #2 make before Agent #1 reappears, 6 or 7?

9) Agent #1 is not allowed to make combat tests against her opponent, for some reason. The opponent has more skull shields than Agent #1's toughness. Does Agent #1 take damage? 1 damage each TU that he stays there?

10) As in 9, but the skull shields are less than Agent #1's toughness. Is it just a stalemate, with no side able to damage the other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Vandermeulen
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1) 0, time units were spent with the die to leave the last location, it doesn't cost anything to go to an initial card in the new location.

2) 0
3) 0, if it really says "go there" rather than just unlocking that card
4) 1, if all agents decide to go there. With that single TU other agents could do a test roll or move to a different card instead. Time die roll (was thinking a card was made available rather than a location)
5) 1, similar to 4), each time a TU is spent all agents get to do something.

6) 2, spend 1TU to allow agents #2 and #3 to do their first die roll (for efficiency, agent #1 should do something also such as move.) Then, spend 1TU for #3 to do their second die roll and agents #1 and #2 to move.

7) If they are required to arrive at the first location, they'll need to roll the time die to change locations.

8) Yikes... if the TU for their first roll brings the TU from 16 to 15, for example. #1 would put their marker on 8. #2 would get another die roll for each countdown from 15 to 8, when #1 reappears. So #2 tested on 16, 15, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9... which is 8 rolls including the one where agent #1 died? Then both agents would be on the board with the timer standing at 8.

9) Yes

10) Yes, I believe so. Oops, Marlene has the correct answer below, if you can't/don't do a test with shields, you lose a life point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you haven't already, download the updated rulebook (in the Files section). It does a better job of explaining the TU expenditure.

The general rule is that when you arrive at a location, everyone gets to place their pawn above a specific card and read it. This is "free". If at least one person wants to do a test or move to a different card, this costs 1 TU (if all four do a test, it's still only 1 TU). Players can "mix and match" doing a test and moving, i.e. two agents move to a different card, two agents do a test; this costs 1 TU.

The above covers 1 - 7.

8) You place the dead agent's pawn 7 TU away from the current position when the agent dies (which would be after the 1 TU spent on tests). The agent "reintegrates" when the TU marker reaches its pawn (i.e. after 7 tests).

EDIT: Deducting TU occurs before any actions, so the dead agent should be able to take an action at the same time as the 7th test since that is when the TU marker would reach the pawn.

9) Yes. And in this case, the toughness is irrelevant. (Revised) Rules pg. 12: If you decide to do nothing during a test (because, for example, you do not have the required characteristic) and that test has at least one skull shield, your receptacle automatically loses 1 Life Point. The heart, time, and special shields always take effect, even when no skull shields are present.

10) see #9.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Zork
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each TU all agents can do an action, that is a test, a move or nothing. Everything beyond that is not counted as time. Each time the group to a new location, the TIME captain die is rolled (unless explicitly specificied otherwise).

All answers are "0 TU", except for:

4) you roll the die of TIME captain

5) 1 TU if the agents decide to move by themselves and are not instructed to read card X.

6) 2 TU : Agent 2 did a test (1 TU) and moved (1 TU)

7) roll the die of TIME captain

8) it depends whether Agent 1 die before Agent 3 did the test for the TU spent. When an agent dies, (s)he is placed 7 TU down the current time.

9) Yes

10) No. edit: Yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad B
United States
Anderson
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
szwanger wrote:

4) As with #1, but card D instructs: "You may go to Location 6." The Agents decide to go to Location 6.

I'm certain this one doesn't cost you a normal time unit. But you would have to roll the time die for moving to the new location.

From the Official FAQ
Quote:
4. Changing location due to a card effect - does it cost TU?
Yes. Always. Sometimes, a card text will say: "Now Head to Location 94". You roll the time dice and add 2 if moving from a red location, just as if you had chosen to move there.
Source: New Rulebook
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
Make sure you check out the FAQ...

In general it costs 1 TU to:
- roll a test
- move to a new card
- do nothing

1. No TU. When you first arrive at a location, each agent moves/reads a card "For free".

2. Gaining an item costs no TU.

3. Probably costs a TU unless the card says otherwise. Note if it says "reveal" a card then the new card replaces your current card and that costs no TU. (pg 14 rules)

4. Moving Locations always costs the Time Die roll unless it specifically says otherwise.

5. Moving to a new card costs 1 TU.

6. Rolling a test or Moving to a new card each cost 1 TU.

7. Just roll the Time Die as normal.

8. Should be 6 TU a dead agent is out of commission.

9. If you can't/don't attack an opponent and they have a red skull shield, you automatically take 1 damage each TU. (Blue box pg 12)

10. covered in previous answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
amikezor wrote:
8) it depends whether Agent 1 die before Agent 3 did the test for the TU spent. When an agent dies, (s)he is placed 7 TU down the current time.

OP specified that the test and death occur "in the same TU" so it's irrelevant which agent rolled first. The sequence (revised rules pg. 9) is:
- Discussion and debate;
- Expenditure of 1 TU;
- Actions.

The 1 TU gets deducted before the tests.

Hmm, this would seem to change my answer above. The dead agent should be able to act at the same time as the surviving agent's 7th test since the receptacle comes back operational as soon as the marker reaches the player's pawn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hainz
Germany
BW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "Course of Action" in the files section tries to cover most things you just asked...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Vandermeulen
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
8) All this 7 test talk makes me really want to lay this out...

TU Track = 16
Everybody agrees, let's do a roll test.

Spend 1TU, so TU Track = 15
Agent #1 rolls and dies (place marker on TU Track = 8)
Agent #2 rolls and lives (first die roll), decides to keep testing

Spend 1 TU, so TU Track = 14
Agent #2 rolls (second die roll), decides to keep testing

Spend 1 TU, so TU Track = 13
Agent #2 rolls (third die roll), decides to keep testing

Spend 1 TU, so TU Track = 12
Agent #2 rolls (fourth die roll), decides to keep testing

Spend 1 TU, so TU Track = 11
Agent #2 rolls (fifth die roll), decides to keep testing

Spend 1 TU, so TU Track = 10
Agent #2 rolls (sixth die roll), decides to keep testing

Spend 1 TU, so TU Track = 9
Agent #2 rolls (seventh die roll), decides to keep testing

Spend 1 TU, so TU Track = 8
Agent #1 reappears... do they get to act also? I would assume they just get their free move onto a card.
Agent #2 rolls (eighth die roll)

So, agent #1 didn't appear until Agent #2 decided spend TU for an 8th die roll. Let me know if I screwed something up there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agent 1 reintegrates as soon as the TU marker reaches the pawn, and can act in that same TU.

Rik V wrote:
Let me know if I screwed something up there.

Yes, stop making bad dice rolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hainz
Germany
BW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you are right - the TU the agent reappears is used as if he moved during that TU to that specific place. He may collect /exchange items though. This was discussed already in several different threads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulebook page 13 wrote:
As soon as the time marker reaches the agent’s small pawn, that agent can reintegrate their receptacle. To do this, they enter (for free) a space of the location currently being visited that contains at least one agent, and their receptacle is once again operational.

My interpretation here is that the reintegration is "as soon as", is "for free" and the receptacle is "operational", so that they can act in the same TU.

However, I have tracked down the thread wherein Mr Poulpe says otherwise, so I stand corrected. modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.