Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

1849: The Game of Sicilian Railways» Forums » General

Subject: Play time and ideal player count. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Bernstein
United States
Orange
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What is your favorite player count for this game? Also is that 180 minute listed playtime accurate?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
3P and 4P are both good. Figure 4 hours for an experienced 18xx table. 6 hours wouldn't be surprising for a novice group.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wellman
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone have any photos of the AA Games produced copy and comments on whether it is considered a decent printing?

From what I can tell, the AA art was a bit bland compared to the older editions and many DTG productions. However, I'm doubtful an old version will surface for purchase anytime soon.

Is the PnP edition sanctioned by anyone, or is it considered a bootleg?

Just trying to decide if I should pull the trigger on an AA games version now.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AAG uses the Peter Mumford map redraw. It's gorgeous. The map is on their site:

https://5a788f57-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites.googlegroups.com/site/aa...

The rest of the production standards are exactly equal to current DTG production. Second, more or less, to none.

I'm pretty sure I'd prefer the redraw over the original:

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler McLaughlin
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
Talk
badge
Words
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Justin, are the tiles in your copy the same as the usual DTG production? Because mine are VERY different from what DTG usually makes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
blu_in_green wrote:
Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone have any photos of the AA Games produced copy and comments on whether it is considered a decent printing?


I believe all known errors have been corrected. While I'm not keen on Scott's colour choices and some minor art choices, the game is quite playable as presented and AAG's production is otherwise superb.

Quote:
However, I'm doubtful an old version will surface for purchase anytime soon.


Most years see a few copies show up on the secondary market. They sell quickly.

Quote:
Is the PnP edition sanctioned by anyone, or is it considered a bootleg?


It is approved by both Vallanie and Manzini AIR.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
e.e.goings wrote:
Because mine are VERY different from what DTG usually makes.


In what ways? (The copy I say briefly, and at something of a distance, seemed DTG-consistent)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
jrebelo wrote:
I'm pretty sure I'd prefer the redraw over the original:



That's the prototype map. Chris Lawson's Platinum Kit (which is what I have) is quite nice.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler McLaughlin
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
Talk
badge
Words
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
They look like this:



Different graphic design and Font. Thickness and lamination are the same i think...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Fältman
Sweden
Helsingborg
flag msg tools
badge
Red Sonic Underwear
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Scott wanted to try something a bit different for this one. File with standard DTG style track tiles can probably be arranged...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler McLaughlin
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
Talk
badge
Words
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I super like this look actually. (But I do also have a set of DTG tiles as well. You know, just in case...)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
e.e.goings wrote:
Justin, are the tiles in your copy the same as the usual DTG production? Because mine are VERY different from what DTG usually makes.


I was referring to the production quality, not the artwork. Die cut, satin lamination, etc. The artwork seemed fine to me. This is my set:

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:

That's the prototype map. Chris Lawson's Platinum Kit (which is what I have) is quite nice.


I was under the (perhaps mistaken) impression that Vellani produced some copies himself or through a magazine prior to Xris releasing the game as shown in your own photo. I may be mistaking this with Antonio Leal's 1800.

Be that as it may, I find it difficult to identify any shortcomings of the newer map that were much better on the older (Xris) one shown.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
e.e.goings wrote:


Aye, those are not as nice as DTG's.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
8-bit Matt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I procured a copy through AAG just a few months ago. Rules inside dated February 2016 (zoom to full size):

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wellman
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the charters and shares I find particularly bland.

Someone mentioned that the current AA version incorporates errata/updates. Can someone tell me what these include and whether this affects the playability and enjoy-ability of the Prior editions.

A quick summary of what versions have been made available with a quick yay/nay rating on which editions are worth chasing would be very helpful and appreciated.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
blu_in_green wrote:
It's the charters and shares I find particularly bland.


They are fully functional in all the editions.

Quote:
Someone mentioned that the current AA version incorporates errata/updates.


ie No known differences from the Lawson printing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Petersen
United States
St. Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
blu_in_green wrote:
Someone mentioned that the current AA version incorporates errata/updates.

The first AAG copies had an error in one of the tables in the rules and player aid. That is fixed now.

If you end up finding a premium Lawson version, I'd go for that one because it's fun to have a little bit of history to show off to friends. I only have a couple of those and it would be hard for me to part with them because it's interesting to see how the game kit production has evolved over time.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
There were also map errors in the Mumford art that preceded AAG's involvement. (I recall pointing some of them out on those files/images/etc somewhere)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lo
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jrebelo wrote:
e.e.goings wrote:
Justin, are the tiles in your copy the same as the usual DTG production? Because mine are VERY different from what DTG usually makes.


I was referring to the production quality, not the artwork. Die cut, satin lamination, etc. The artwork seemed fine to me. This is my set:


We really should table this one again.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler McLaughlin
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
Talk
badge
Words
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
scottredracecar wrote:

If you end up finding a premium Lawson version, I'd go for that one because it's fun to have a little bit of history to show off to friends. I only have a couple of those and it would be hard for me to part with them because it's interesting to see how the game kit production has evolved over time.


And Scott wins the "Best thing said in the 18xx forums" award for the day.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowengrin wrote:
jrebelo wrote:
e.e.goings wrote:
Justin, are the tiles in your copy the same as the usual DTG production? Because mine are VERY different from what DTG usually makes.


I was referring to the production quality, not the artwork. Die cut, satin lamination, etc. The artwork seemed fine to me. This is my set:


We really should table this one again.


How about April 1st?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.