Jamie Kessinger
United States
Smiths Grove
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad they went with the book series name "A Song of Ice and Fire" instead of slapping "Game of Thrones" on it, but would using the "Game of Thrones" name make it more visible to non-boardgamers, boosting sales as a result?

As a side note, it used to drive me crazy when people would come into the bookstore and ask for the "Game of Thrones series" or the "new Game of Thrones" book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergo Tothmihaly
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm not sure non-boardgamers who bought it based on the title would know what do to with this one.

Also, they would drive people crazy in FLGSs
- I want the Game of Thrones game!
- The board game, the living card game or the miniatures game?
- surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Braldar wrote:
I'm glad they went with the book series name "A Song of Ice and Fire" instead of slapping "Game of Thrones" on it, but would using the "Game of Thrones" name make it more visible to non-boardgamers, boosting sales as a result?

I'm betting that HBO owns the licensing rights to Game of Thrones, and Martin (or maybe his publisher or agent) the rights to Song of Ice and Fire.

Cheers,
Graham
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeah, I totally agree with Graham and was going to say the same thing. HBO owns the rights to "Game of Thrones". So I'd bet a million Monopoly dollars (and a few real ones) that CMON would've loved to use the "Game of Thrones" name, but didn't want to pay the licensing fees.

Fantasy Flight Games uses the words, "Game of Thrones" for their LCG, but more accurately, they put an "A" before the words, so it's "A Game of Thrones". But I have no clue if that got them out of the licensing aspect. Here: A Game of Thrones: The Card Game (Second Edition)

Interestingly, FFG also produced the "HBO version" of their "A Game of Thrones" card game and did call it, "Game of Thrones"! (without the "A"). But since it was apparently done in partnership with HBO is why they were able to use the name, I'm assuming. Here: Game of Thrones: The Card Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

Yeah, I totally agree with Graham and was going to say the same thing. HBO owns the rights to "Game of Thrones". So I'd bet a million Monopoly dollars (and a few real ones) that CMON would've loved to use the "Game of Thrones" name, but didn't want to pay the licensing fees.

I'd say it's more likely that HBO is licensing that name. I doubt GRRM would outright sell the rights.

Quote:

Fantasy Flight Games uses the words, "Game of Thrones" for their LCG, but more accurately, they put an "A" before the words, so it's "A Game of Thrones". But I have no clue if that got them out of the licensing aspect. Here: A Game of Thrones: The Card Game (Second Edition)

Interestingly, FFG also produced the "HBO version" of their "A Game of Thrones" card game and did call it, "Game of Thrones"! (without the "A"). But since it was apparently done in partnership with HBO is why they were able to use the name, I'm assuming. Here: Game of Thrones: The Card Game

FFG has been releasing that game since well before HBO was in the picture. I'd bet there's a concession for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mebbe FFG's licensing prevents other companies from using "Game of Thrones" for their product? I guess look forward to CMON not using depictions of the characters from the HBO series.

fwiw, Take a look at Mantic's Walking Dead KS, which has the comic book rights, vs. Cryptozoic's Walking Dead KS and other products, which have the television rights.

Dark Sword Miniatures, which is involved in the project calls their GoT line of miniatures, "GEORGE R.R. MARTIN MASTERWORKS". I haven't seen the GoT television series, so let me know if these figures are based on the HBO characters, or look different. : http://www.darkswordminiatures.com/shop/index.php/miniatures...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Idaho11 wrote:
I'd say it's more likely that HBO is licensing that name. I doubt GRRM would outright sell the rights.

You may be right, there. Though GRRM's first book in the series is titled "A Game of Thrones", isn't it? Whereas the HBO series is called, "Game of Thrones". Two different titles. Which is why I'm not sure that HBO is licensing the title, at least, because it's not the same. However, I would assume that HBO is licensing the characters from GRRM.

Idaho11 wrote:
FFG has been releasing that game since well before HBO was in the picture.

It sounds like you might be confusing it with the CCG/LCG. The card game I linked to above was released by FFG in 2012, and has the HBO logo clearly printed on the front.

You're correct though, that the CCG (and now LCG) was released much earlier than that, but goes by a different name (uses the "A" in the front), and thusly has nothing to do with the HBO series. It goes strictly off the books and is, I would assume, licensed through GRRM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris C
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:

Dark Sword Miniatures, which is involved in the project calls their GoT line of miniatures, "GEORGE R.R. MARTIN MASTERWORKS". I haven't seen the GoT television series, so let me know if these figures are based on the HBO characters, or look different. : http://www.darkswordminiatures.com/shop/index.php/miniatures...

Other than general similarities (tall, dark hair), the Dark Sword miniatures do not resemble the TV actors. They are based 100% on the literary descriptions.

Edit: on a related note I believe I read that the DS miniatures will not be used for the new CMON game. CMON has created new sculpts that were 'approved' by Dark Sword.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Slovakia
flag msg tools
Braldar wrote:
As a side note, it used to drive me crazy when people would come into the bookstore and ask for the "Game of Thrones series" or the "new Game of Thrones" book.

Well, I think that's because the first book was called A Game of Thrones - A Song of Ice and Fire, so Game of Thrones stuck. Me and everyone I know always called the books Game of Thrones. It sounds better than a song of ice and fire and it's shorter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The fact its Song of Ice and Fire and not Game of Thrones is what excites me. Now I love the television series but I REALLY love the book series. I'm hoping there are expansions coming like Robert's Rebellion and the like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Need More Coffee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Song of Ice and Fire sounds more metal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Mościcki
msg tools
Where is Ishtar's nipple??!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I thumb'ed every post! I have nothing against the series - I did mostly enjoy it - and thus don't cringe on appropriation of the first book's title for the whole saga. Especially with a game like this (unlike, say, arPG or the original FFG's masterpiece boardgame), can only take characters, maybe some visual cues, and that's all. Until we get to Targaryens and dragons (I would LOVE A Dance of Dragons game), the armies are regular medieval fare, with an appropriate paint scheme one can (and a lot of people do) field any Westerosi force using existing historical miniatures.

Still, A Song of Ice and Fire is a better name for the tactical scope, rather than political/diplomatic/war. War of Five Kings or Dance of/with Dragons would be awesome, too - especially if they go supernatural eventually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.