Subject: Academic Literature on Board Gaming rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Nilsson
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi all,

Does anybody know of any academic articles or literature on board gaming? Particularly regarding any educational impacts of playing board games?

I'm giving a presentation in a couple of months about board games and education but will be basing most of my presentation off of my own anecdotal evidence. It would be nice to have some proper academic literature to support me.

I've had a quick look through some academic journals but have come up with very little so far. Also because people use the terms "Board games", "Games" or "Tabletop games" somewhat interchangeably, tracking stuff down has been a pain.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Axford
United Kingdom
Stockport
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You probably looked here already, but I get a good number of promising results from searching 'board games' on jstor.org.

There also this article about someone using the board game Polis to teach the Peloponnesian War at the Marine Corps War College: https://warontherocks.com/2016/04/wargaming-in-the-classroom...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Nilsson
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for that link!
Yea, jstor was my first port of call as it was in my undergrad and postgrad days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
euronoob

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott Nicholson has done work on board gaming and education. Here's a bibliography from his website:

http://scottnicholson.com/pubs/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Nilsson
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
sthrjo wrote:
Garfields book is a must-have: "Characteristics of Games" (MIT Press). The only obvious omission is the theory behind semi co-op games. If Garfield had this issue in his book, a lot of controversy in this forum would be gone.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.