Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Fagan
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mb
Since I started playing this over a month ago, I've found it monopolizing my somewhat limited gaming time. Although I must also admit to working in extra game time into my crammed life schedule that normally isn't there for the same reasons.

As an example, a friend of mine from out of town came to visit me this past week primarily for some hardcore gaming. The plan was originally to get a number of new titles out we hadn't gotten to try yet. After opening the visit with Gloomhaven though, that original plan kind of fell apart at the seems as we basically never stopped until he had to leave 3 days later.

Has anyone else experienced this, or have any similar stories to tell? I may have to force myself away at some point just to get back to any semblance of normalcy in my primary hobby, but really... It's been quite difficult
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorin Silver
Belgium
Nieuwkerken-Waas
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My regular boardgame partner is my daughter. We will usually play once a week or once every other week (busy schedule), and will usually play a game we haven't played in a while. Our usual games include Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Above and Below, Warhammer Adventure Card Game,...

Since getting Gloomhaven, we haven't played anything else. Also, our frequency has increased to about 2 times a week.

Gloomhaven has usurped all our other games...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Jung
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My partner and I have exclusively only played GH when its just us. But fortunately this last month, we had a couple game nights and traveled to visit family. We aren't really sharing Gloomhaven, because its so big and requires a campaign. But I do have 2 unopened expansions for T.I.M.E Stories, and they will probably get neglected til we need a break from GH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played 2 scenarios of Heroes of Normandie today, but only because the third member of our 3p group is away on holiday this week. Good fun, but back to Gloomhaven next week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Basically, yeah. Our "indoor" time used to be a mix of tv, video games, and board games. Ever since we started playing Gloomhaven, we haven't touched a video game or another board game, and I think we watched an episode of Futurama once while eating, but literally, even that has devolved into "okay, one person eats while the other sets up the next scenario."

We usually only play one day a week, but we just spent ~2.5 days together. Ahead of time, we said, "okay, gonna watch some Legion, gonna play some Tales of Berseria, gonna take the dog out on hour-long walks." However, that turned into, "Oh wow, we just unlocked a new class! We need to try it out!" "Oh wow, we can unlock another class by doing X, Y, and Z...which we can start working on now!" "Oh wow, this random side scenario we randomly unlocked sounds super cool!" and on and on and on it went.

By the end of the weekend, the TV was never powered on once, but at least we were disciplined enough to take the dog out as promised. Also disciplined enough to still exercise, thankfully. Indoor hobby-wise though, GH is king. In spite of our marathon session, neither of us are remotely burned out. If anything, we're both looking forward to the next gaming night more than ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It has mostly just monopolized my game sessions with my daughters, as we try to get one scenario done a week, over the course of a couple sessions. We did stop our Pandemic Legacy campaign though, as we were in September and I just couldn't wait any longer to start Gloomhaven. I even put it off until I got all 6 starting characters painted, but then I could wait no longer and we are in the middle of our 4th scenario.

I still am in a biweekly Seafall campaign with 4 others in my gaming group and play other games with the group too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Johnson
msg tools
I was doing quite well at balancing GH with other games until we started unlocking new characters. At that point I lost all semblance of rationality and have hardly played another game since.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince R.
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's wreaking havoc on my 10x10 efforts...luckily it filled one of the 10, but it's spent nearly another 10 on top of that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Clark
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our normal game group is 4-8 people, most often 6. We play about 2x per month.

Since I got Gloomhaven, which only plays 4... we started doing weekly meetups that are invite-only. I feel bad about abandoning the normal schedule and those "left out".

I wonder - has anyone tried playing concurrent games? Seems like it should be possible if you are smart about which scenarios you choose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Washington
msg tools
badge
That's no moon....
mbmbmbmbmb
My regular X-Wing group thinks I quit X-Wing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
otfeldodja wrote:
Our normal game group is 4-8 people, most often 6. We play about 2x per month.

Since I got Gloomhaven, which only plays 4... we started doing weekly meetups that are invite-only. I feel bad about abandoning the normal schedule and those "left out".

I wonder - has anyone tried playing concurrent games? Seems like it should be possible if you are smart about which scenarios you choose.

You would need more attack modifier decks, among other things. Better off having 2 copies of the game really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Rivest
Canada
Blainville
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played anything else in about 3 weeks. I've played about 25 games of Gloomhaven, mostly with my SO during weekends. I even received an order containing Scythe and Manhattan Project Energy Empire, but I don't care about them for now. All I (or should I say we) care about for now is Gloomhaven!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished a 5 man Seafall campaign that we played every Sunday. Found myself not caring who won even up to the last game, and have caught myself thinking "Thank God that's over, now we can play Gloomhaven on Sunday too!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Johnson
msg tools
otfeldodja wrote:
So, the way I've been playing is probably different from how nearly everyone else does. I usually play in very large public board game group meetings and I never know exactly who is going to be there. Despite this Gloomhaven has been a huge hit with at meetings just by slightly altering how the game plays out.

The only major thing I've changed is that the characters belong to the box and not the player. There's only one copy of each character in existence and there's only one party so items just stay with each character and we don't have to juggle multiple parties. Players play the same character each time if possible, but many characters are getting played by multiple people and honestly I've heard no complaints and it seems to work just fine. I suppose it's possible that one person makes a decision that another person playing that character dislikes but that hasn't happened yet and I'll cross that bridge when/if it does. Retirement progress is handled by having people keep good notes on their character sheet and so far that has also worked nicely.

At first there was a lot of overlap but once the first batch of characters started retiring it became a lot more natural. If teaching a new player I'll definitely have them play one of the starting six, but those players who have retired a character feel like they really own their new one. And this is only going to continue to improve over time.

Another interesting side-effect is that knowledge isn't the same across the players. Some people have seen some parts of the story and seen some monsters while other people have seen different ones. This leads to quite a bit of table talk sharing this information which is neat to hear and listen to.

So far 13 people have played my copy of Gloomhaven (including myself) and I expect that number to continue to grow as time goes on. The game definitely supports this kind of drop in / drop out play though, and I'm pretty happy about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Eric Reuss
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yeah, I've found this happening too - not quite to the point where those of us playing GH break it out at game gatherings where non-GH players are also attending, but close, and we're definitely finding extra time to squeeze in more GH.

To the extent that this is due to the intermittent-reward advancement system ("gotta play just once more to level / afford that item / earn that Perk") and to the immense scope of the campaign / unlocks ("gotta play more often or we're never going to see even a fraction of it"), I find it a bit frustrating... but neither of those factors would have much grip on me if the core gameplay weren't just really good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
we played a gloomhaven marathon last weekend, 10 scenarios in 24 hours x)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Russo
Australia
Craigie
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I got my copy on Feb 14th this is my logged play:

Gloomhaven 19
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: JR & WEA: 3
Unfair 3
Carcassonne 1
Dead of Winter: The Long Night 1
Fury of Dracula (third edition) 1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:
Played 2 scenarios of Heroes of Normandie today, but only because the third member of our 3p group is away on holiday this week. Good fun, but back to Gloomhaven next week.

Heretic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Busha
China
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We only recently stopped playing Gloomhaven due to painfully failing a couple of times. We'll probably get back on it this weekend, but man, it is interesting to play other games again

I hadn't thought it had consumed us so much, but really, it is kind of nice for a change of pace.

That said, can't wait to get back to it as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Mountain view
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So this is the game Wesley Crusher & Robin Lefler are warning us about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin Chen
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had wanted to start hosting regular game nights at our place, open to all our friends. Unfortunately, that's devolved into private Gloomhaven gatherings, juggling a party of three and a party of four. It may get worse once we unlock a few more characters and have more flexibility to get other players in. At least we have a separate group back on track for finishing Pandemic Legacy.

I even received a copy of my friend's new game, Anachrony, and it's been sitting unpunched on the counter for almost a month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyellan wrote:

I even received a copy of my friend's new game, Anachrony, and it's been sitting unpunched on the counter for almost a month.

it is defenitely worth checking out, I recieved myne aswell and had a hard time to get it to the table due to gloomhaven, but once it hit, we had a blast at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Holland

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyellan wrote:
I had wanted to start hosting regular game nights at our place, open to all our friends. Unfortunately, that's devolved into private Gloomhaven gatherings, juggling a party of three and a party of four. It may get worse once we unlock a few more characters and have more flexibility to get other players in. At least we have a separate group back on track for finishing Pandemic Legacy.

Yeah, had to cancel my game night that I'd been doing for about two or three months because it happened that the two Gloomhaven groups I'm running needed that night... Oh well. I'm enjoying GH a whole lot and might try other games again eventually.

(Other than Netrunner. Still playing that every Sunday at local game store.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eamon Burke
United States
Rockport
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Yeah. I look at my other games from time to time this past month and think "man...I kinda miss those..."

I'm sure the hotness will wear off eventually. Maybe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.