Subject: Gambling on the game ending soon [Box 5 Spoilers] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shaun Stringer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
My group of five just finished our eighth game. I'm in first with a comfortable ~20 point lead over the fifth-place player, but

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I'm getting at least 4-6 of my victory points per game by inquisiting all the uninquisited advisors. The other players aren't doing this, so my stickers are just piling up on them all. I feel like I'm rapidly running out of advisors to check, though.

Since this strategy is obviously unsustainable and forms a sizable chunk of my victory points, I'm afraid that my engine is going to putter out, and the rest of the players are going rush ahead of me to emporerhood. Add to that, the rest of my points are mostly coming from raiding other players and provinces, so I am in a bit of a bind with having placed nearly all of my stickers on the islands, provinces, and spoilered locations. Has anyone else started having difficulties with a high-enmity playstyle in the late game, or have your mountains of bad will and other people's treasures paved the way to victory?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T McC
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a similar style to you for about half the campaign. My advice is to transition to an Explore-based strategy, as raiding will continue becoming less viable and the inquisition points dry up quick, as you noted.

My other advice is for your group to quit playing this game as soon as possible before you get deep into the late-campaign slog. God knows I wish we would have....

But hey, if you're liking it, more power to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Couple of things I want to make sure you know.

1. There isn't a limit on enmity stickers. If you run out, you should use some sort of proxy -- marker matching your color, a printout of an unused sticker sheet, whatever.

2. (This is more for the people playing with you.) Interrogating an advisor doesn't cost an action. It doesn't really cost anything, except to make that advisor more expensive to buy with gold in the future. We only just unlocked Box 5 last game, but I can't imagine anybody not wanting to interrogate every turn possible. It's basically a free glory every turn, as long as you have an advisor that hasn't been interrogated yet.

As for the question of whether a high-enmity style of play is unsustainable, I think the answer to that is yes, and that's by design. To reduce them a bit, the merchant strategy is a way to get goods but no glory, the explorer strategy is a way to get glory but not necessarily goods, and the raider strategy is a way to get both. It has to be limited by enmity or else it would be the obvious best choice always. That said, I'm finding that I should be raiding more, because I've got so little permanent enmity out. (And because the merchant strategy seems less and less viable as time goes on, so I shouldn't care about goods prices going up.)

If every island on the board and every enemy province is holding onto enough of your enmity that you can't overcome it, then yeah, it might be time to pivot. But even if you just hold off for one game, you can probably wipe a good amount of enmity off an island or two, and give yourself another juicy target for the next game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Suggestion: keep notes on what you find. They don't need to be word-for-word, but you should at least be able to remind yourself regarding what was said. And more specifically, the number.

As for raiding ... you have more expertise there than I do; I don't have anything to add beyond what Darren noted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and as far as whether the game will end soon, I don't have any experience to say for sure if it will happen, but going by that thread that asks when groups opened each box, it seems like you may be very slightly ahead of the curve.

Most groups opened Box 5 during Game 8, and it sounds like you have had it open for multiple games now, having finished Game 8. The spread for Box 6 is much less of a normal distribution, with anything from Game 11 to Game 17 looking viable. Let's take the average and say most groups open Box 6 around Game 14 and finish the campaign around Game 15.

Since you're ahead, you can anticipate finishing around Game 13 or so (maybe). So you have to ask yourself: is my engine sustainable for five more games? Probably not. I don't think you should be gambling on finishing the campaign soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanaël Dufour
France
Lille
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't think it is that much of a problem. Most of the glory in the late game comes from :

- Interrogating advisors (as long as some haven't been interrogated)
- exploring tombs to find tablets or relics (if there are many left)
- exploring the 5 points islands (if there are any left)
- building the Reliquary/the Museum. (if you have many relics/tablets)

None of this is made more difficult by your enmity on islands.

What is made more difficult is the "usual" ways to gain glory : Merchant to buy Treasures (always the weakest option i've felt), Pirate to gain glory. I don't feel like you should be concerned with your enmity being too much of a problem, as long as you're careful of where it lands and of saving some raidable spots (example : avoid putting enmity on Island with Docks and Markets.)

I've also found that raiding other players is MORE useful in the late game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Stringer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Following up on my earlier fears, I lost the game immediately after my first post. One of the players managed to
use two sets of research cards. She got the veteran raider and veteran explorer upgrades on one of her ships, which also had veteran sailor from the previous game.

That ship is now the scariest on the high seas. She managed to end the game, which had an end condition of 19, with 25 points in the sixth month right before the second winter. The whole game rapidly went off the rails, and my mixed raiding/building strategy ended with me at 12 points, barely holding onto the crown by 4 points over the game winner.

We have since played another game, and it went significantly better than the last. Starting the game with 18 gold, I bought the raid +2 upgrade and stole
the upgrade that lets you convert reputation for single-use raid dice. Then I sailed to Tortosa with a pool of 15 dice and rolled 12 successes, claiming that milestone for myself. Winter came, and another player managed to build the Temple in Y2M1, but that didn't matter. My raiding strategy has led to me acquiring two tablets, and I built the museum to end the game when my turn started.

Final score: 22. While it's repeatedly been stated on these forums that raiding isn't the best path to victory, I like its consistency. Exploring rewards are alternatively incredibly or worthless, but I always know exactly what I need and exactly what I require when pillaging on the high seas. And with my focus on
repossessing artifacts and relics, and building their respective buildings,
my glory curve tends to get me to game-ending conditions around the sixth to seventh turn when things don't go horribly wrong. While the enmity on the islands and provinces is still a bit out-of-control
(I think I might have about 10 enmity on Ker),
I'm starting the game with enough things in my treasure room and gold/rep/fortune from permanent upgrades that I can frequently pillage my way to victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.