Subject: Box 1 Spoilers - Rules questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Armstrong
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're ready to start our first game after opening box 1, and have some questions before that.

1)
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Can you enter the 5th sea row from any hex in the 4th row OR do you have to sail through that little island hex that's been there from the start of the game?

2)
When you discover a new island, do you get 1 glory as you normally would for a successful explore endeavor, as well as the glory listed on the island slot that you discovered?

3)
How do the fraction points work for the title cards? Is it based on how close you are to 5 points? IE: Our leader right now has 19 points and the 2nd place player has 18. Does the 2nd place player now get to choose one of the options on their title card because they are within a fraction of 5 points to the leader?

One question that is not a spoiler, that I've always wondered about is the starting ports for each player. Is that long hex in front of each port considered a new hex for movement? Or is that all a part of the port entry?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Any hex, that thing is yet unknown.
2. Yes.
3. Yes. 1-5 = 1 bonus. 6-10=2 bonus, etc. (but it doesn't matter how close within each span of 5).

That is one huge long hex. So it takes 2 moves for ANYONE to get to island 1. (and you can get from island 1 to island 2 in just 3 moves!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Armstrong
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3) So in my example case, the player in 2nd place will choose no starting game bonus as they are not at least 5 points behind the leader? (19 to 18 - 1 point spread). How does one get a fraction of a point? Is that to be revealed later in the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I misread and replied too hastily.
They get to select 1 bonus if between 1-5 points of the leader, 2 if between 6-10, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
In your example, the 2nd place player would get one game start bonus, because the difference of one point is a fraction of five points. I think Chris meant to write "3. Yep. 1-5 = 1 bonus. 6-10 = 2 bonus. Etc."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Armstrong
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, thanks guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stauch
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In box 1 there's a milestone that says "sell 4+ one the same good in one turn". I assume that this milestone now redefines how many goods you can seel in a turn or is this a special instance only?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Addington
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
cstauch wrote:
In box 1 there's a milestone that says "sell 4+ one the same good in one turn". I assume that this milestone now redefines how many goods you can seel in a turn or is this a special instance only?

All the milestone means is that you need to find a way to sell 4+ of a type of good in one turn. The milestone doesn't change any of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
cstauch wrote:

No, you need to get an external bonus to be able to achieve that milestone.

(box 1 spoiler)

Advisor spoiler.

There's at least one advisor that gives +2sell, and there should be retired advisors that do so as well. There may also be other ways to boost sell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Possible Box 1 spoilers?

I'm not even sure those are Box 1 spoilers. Were there not Sell +1 advisors and Retired Advisors with Sell +1 available in the base game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sporktopia Games
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a clarification on point 2 that led to some consternation in our group in later games.

When you explore and find a new island take the 1 glory for the successful explore, but read the entry before assigning any additional glory. Following that should assure you get it right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The official ruling is that you will get the island inset glory all the time. Even if the discovery of that island is tied to a milestone with separate glory (in those cases the Booke doesn't spell out that you get the inset glory, but I believe you still do). And yes, it is 1 for the endeavour PLUS whatever for the inset PLUS anything else that might come up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
Possible Box 1 spoilers?

I'm not even sure those are Box 1 spoilers. Were there not Sell +1 advisors and Retired Advisors with Sell +1 available in the base game?

Same

The +2sell advisor comes in box one, iirc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sporktopia Games
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well,

Results of successful explore spoiler:
When you explore an island without a map, it specifically says to add the glory printed on that slot while the others do not. The rules don't state you get it automatically, just that you get the 1 for the explore, so it would seem that the Captain's Booke is the enabler of the additional glory.

If that was clarified elsewhere, it didn't make the official FAQ thread on here and I haven't seen it after doing a search of the topic either. That being said there's a number of threads and I still have some spoilers I'd rather not read so it might be buried somewhere I am not currently willing to tread (mostly Box 6 and end game), so I'd be willing to concede to missing an official ruling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
DeS_Tructive wrote:
Dexter345 wrote:
Possible Box 1 spoilers?

Same

The +2sell advisor comes in box one, iirc

Box 1
Right, I guess the existence of a +2 Sell advisor would be a Box 1 spoiler, but I'd consider that an extremely light spoiler. Like, I can assume we will be getting advisors with stronger abilities eventually.

At any rate, my point was that it's not a spoiler of any type to suggest you don't need to open Box 1 in order to have a chance at selling 4 things in one turn. The base game components and rules allow for it by upgrading a +1 Sell advisor with another +1 Sell from a Retired Advisor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
True, but when it comes to spoilers, I prefer to err on the non-spoilery side
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.