Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco Castellanos
United States
phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got to play my first game of this with my work group, and second game overall, and they love trying to find rules loopholes.

The first one I think is simple, a player wanted to put a blocking stone on the same block another player had already put their blocking stone on. After consulting the rules there was no specific term that prohibited him from doing so. Was this a legal play or do blocking stones block everything?

The next question is about ladders. In the image below red wanted to use his tall ladder to move to the other red quarter block. Can a ladder fit where red is? My thought is no, there is not enough room for red and the ladder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules page 3; 'The blocking stones. At the end of his turn, players may place their blocking stone on any free surface.'

If there is a blocking stone on a surface already, it's not a free surface. No you can't place two on the same area.

Ladders: Rules page 3: 'It doesn`t matter how small the starting surface or how narrow the edge reached by the ladder might be. A quarter of a
square is enough to start from and half an edge of a cube is enough to arrive at.'

I'm not sure why space is an issue here, the rules expressly allow this.

What is confusing though is that the two red surfaces are half cubes not quarters. Is this the right photo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Castellanos
United States
phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:
Rules page 3; 'The blocking stones. At the end of his turn, players may place their blocking stone on any free surface.'

If there is a blocking stone on a surface already, it's not a free surface. No you can't place two on the same area.

Ladders: Rules page 3: 'It doesn`t matter how small the starting surface or how narrow the edge reached by the ladder might be. A quarter of a
square is enough to start from and half an edge of a cube is enough to arrive at.'

I'm not sure why space is an issue here, the rules expressly allow this.

What is confusing though is that the two red surfaces are half cubes not quarters. Is this the right photo?

I should have clarified, the block had other spaces on it. It wasn't like it was a person's piece plus a blocking stone, there was a free space.

I am not seeing your line about ladders on page 3, here is what I have

Ladders must not extend off a corner of a block, only off a side, so diagonal climbs are not allowed. As long as a space the size of a quarter-cube is open on the upper surface, you can use a ladder to get there

Based off all the example rules photos using cubes I have no reference for half-cubes, the photo I provided was of the game in progress.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try the files section where the enhanced rules live;

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/3qot5jw1uk/Rules...

I cut and pasted the quotes from there. These rules are endorsed by the designer and iron out some ladder creases.

Half cubes are the definition in the components section (Material). They are also referred to as size '1' blocks.

From the photo it doesn't look like the red piece has the problem of a diagonal climb, its a straight, vertical placement for the ladder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Castellanos
United States
phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see a line in the ladder section that reads It doesn`t matter how small the starting surface or how narrow the edge reached by the ladder might be. A quarter of a square is enough to start from and half an edge of a cube is enough to arrive at.

Which leads me to believe that red could use his ladder to move up as pictured. The only instance where he could not have is if the starting surface was grey and there was a second pawn with red thus leaving no open quarter square area to start from.

I'm still not seeing anything on placing a blocking stone in a free quarter square section on a cube that is already blocked though. Might just have to house rule it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boxer Santaros wrote:

I'm still not seeing anything on placing a blocking stone in a free quarter square section on a cube that is already blocked though. Might just have to house rule it.

You do realise that the entire horizontal surface of a cube is a 'space'. A space is not just a quadrant on that cube? A blocking stone blocks the entire surface, not just a notional quadrant on that surface.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Castellanos
United States
phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:
Boxer Santaros wrote:

You do realise that the entire horizontal surface of a cube is a 'space'. A space is not just a quadrant on that cube? A blocking stone blocks the entire surface, not just a notional quadrant on that surface.

My quibble with the rules is that for blocking stones it explicitly states that a blocked stone, cannot be occupied, crossed, or moved but doesn't say it cannot be blocked with another stone.

The people I play with need rules that explicitly say things, otherwise they assume it can be done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The focus of your question seems to change each time I try to give you an answer.

The rules may not explicitly state that 'a surface can't be blocked with another stone', but neither do the rules say that you can't eat a cube that's in your way. I'm surprised that your group haven't claimed they can, 'because the rules don't say explicitly that you can't'.

As per my first answer to you, the rules don't have to provide your suggested wording because the rules expressly state that a blocking stone can only be placed on a free surface. I'd say that it's pretty explicit that if a surface already has a blocking stone on it, THEN IT'S NOT FREE.

Neither is that surface deemed a 'quadrant' or a 'quarter square section' or any other definition of space that you refer to. The rules are quite clear, with perfectly adequate definitions. I think your group need to be told that one rule stating what they can do is better than 4000 telling them what they can't.

I'm done, if this is still causing you problems then perhaps eating the cubes is the best house rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Castellanos
United States
phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:
The focus of your question seems to change each time I try to give you an answer.

The rules may not explicitly state that 'a surface can't be blocked with another stone', but neither do the rules say that you can't eat a cube that's in your way. I'm surprised that your group haven't claimed they can, 'because the rules don't say explicitly that you can't'.

As per my first answer to you, the rules don't have to provide your suggested wording because the rules expressly state that a blocking stone can only be placed on a free surface. I'd say that it's pretty explicit that if a surface already has a blocking stone on it, THEN IT'S NOT FREE.

Neither is that surface deemed a 'quadrant' or a 'quarter square section' or any other definition of space that you refer to. The rules are quite clear, with perfectly adequate definitions. I think your group need to be told that one rule stating what they can do is better than 4000 telling them what they can't.

I'm done, if this is still causing you problems then perhaps eating the cubes is the best house rule.

I don't mean to be causing you distress. The way I asked the question the first time I phrased it poorly. In the first instance it sounded like I was asking about a surface being occupied/having no room to place a blocking stone. In this instance it is clear that since there is no surface to place it on you could not place the blocking stone on there.

It is the exact spelling out of actions in the rules that gives me pause. It explicitly lists every single action you cannot do when a blocking stone is placed on a cube, except place a stone on a cube.

I see your interpretation and I understand it, but I am not fortunate to play with a group of people that is not overly pedantic and they look for any edge case or rules' gap to exploit. Therefore I will have to go with whatever the majority decides.

Thank you for your answers, again not trying to be obtuse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.