Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Densham
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
War for Land and God Expansion
Posted by Academy Games (Creator)
In this update, we continue to describe expansions that have been unlocked in our stretch goals. You can download the '878 Vikings' pdf game rules by clicking here.
War for Land and God can be added to the 878 Vikings base game play to add different tactical and strategic options.

introduction - The game starts with church tiles set up on the board which the English players must protect from being looted by the Vikings. If the Vikings sack and remove all of the Churches from the board, Christianity falters on the island and the English immediately lose the game.
The Vikings will also be able to garrison forts with their units and eventually foster them into Viking settlements. These settlements will generate reinforcements for the Norsemen.

Setup - Each English player places 7 English Church Tiles each (14 total) on any cities on the map. There may only be one church per city. The Viking players take the 10 Viking Fort/Settlement Tiles to use during the game.

Plundered Churches - When the Viking players control a Shire with a Church Tile in it, the Vikings plunder the church. The Viking players remove the Tile and give it to either English player, Plundered Church side up. The treasure the Vikings loot from the church attracts more Viking warriors to Briton, so the Norseman player immediately pulls a black cube from his reserves and places it in the Fled Unit Area.
Christian Wrath - The English player may discard a Plundered Church Tile at the beginning of any Battle to add an extra Fyrd Card to the Battle. This may be used on the English or Vikings’ turn. Only one Plundered Church Tile may be used in each Battle.

Viking Forts - At the end of each of their turns, the Viking players may choose to remove any two Viking units and place one Fort Tile in the area they were removed from.
The Fort may not be moved but provides a Berserker and Norseman Battle Die in combat. This does not allow the Viking players to roll more than their max number of dice.
Viking Forts take one hit to destroy and remove from the map. Forts must be destroyed before the English can win the Battle and capture the area. Forts do not flee.

Viking Settlements - At the beginning of the Norseman’s turn, the Norseman player may choose to flip any Viking Fort Tile to its Viking Settlement side. Only one tile may be in each area, so another fort may not be placed in the area.
Viking Settlements provide a Norseman reinforcement in its area each turn (including the turn the Settlement is placed). The Settlement also provides a Berserker Battle Die in combat and takes one hit to remove from the area just like a Fort.
The Viking players may reinforce their fled units in areas with Viking Settlements.
Paganism against Christianity - If the Vikings remove every Church Tile from the board, Christianity is replaced by Paganism in Briton and the Vikings win the game. However, if they do not remove all of the Churches when the Treaty of Wedmore is activated, Christianity survives and eventually converts the pagan Vikings.
Designer’s Note: The Vikings can either ignore the Churches and pursue a normal game victory. Or they can ignore holding territory and instead attempt to plunder all of the Churches at the risk of the Christian wrath!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space is intentionally left empty]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just noticed that they are still referring to "Norseman cubes", shouldn't that be "Norseman minis" now? As I said in another post, if you make that switch (or force that switch on us *grumble grumble* whistle) then don't do it half baked

Also, settlements seem like a no-brainer. The only downside I see in upgrading Forts to Settlements is component limits: Since you get a Norseman mini right away that you can leave in that area you actually gain a hit point in battle while rolling the same amount of dice. Of course the mini can run away, but the extra hit required to remove both it and the settlement is very much worth that. The real upside of course is that more Norseman arrive every turn and can move to different areas.
So why ever stay at a fort? Or is this meant to be a "where do you place the one settlement for this turn" decision rather than "do you place a settlement"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Just off the top of my head ...

I'd say if the English player sees a Viking Fort go up it's probably in his best interest to try and destroy it quickly, because thematically a Viking Fort will naturally grow into a settlement in quick order.

Of course where the Viking player tries to place these will be important to the decision making. Off in some isolated area and the English player probably won't be able to get to it. But if the Viking player tries to place in a more valuable location, near the English, this becomes a priority for the English player ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael W

Georgia
msg tools
How do the building minis figure into this? I assume the churches are, well, churches. But how about the fort and settlement in regards to the building minis?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DinoCrackers wrote:
How do the building minis figure into this? I assume the churches are, well, churches. But how about the fort and settlement in regards to the building minis?
I remember reading somewhere (KS comments probably) that you use the building in the wall as a fort and remove the wall when it becomes a settlement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WBuchanan wrote:

I'd say if the English player sees a Viking Fort go up it's probably in his best interest to try and destroy it quickly, because thematically a Viking Fort will naturally grow into a settlement in quick order.

Of course where the Viking player tries to place these will be important to the decision making. Off in some isolated area and the English player probably won't be able to get to it. But if the Viking player tries to place in a more valuable location, near the English, this becomes a priority for the English player ...

Yes, if/where to place forts seems like an important decision. Once placed it seems like a no-brainer to make them into settlements though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
WBuchanan wrote:

Yes, if/where to place forts seems like an important decision. Once placed it seems like a no-brainer to make them into settlements though.

Yes, I think that's the idea. A Viking fort will quickly turn into a settlement if the English player doesn't destroy it ...

It should also be noted that only the Norseman faction can turn a fort into a settlement. This fact could potentially give the English some extra time to launch their attack, depending on how turn order falls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Laliberté
Canada
Levis
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The kickstarter page AND BGG video files section need a complete video runthrough(dice tower, Rahdo, etc..)

I want to back it but i'm still not sure for the gameplay and fun to play it...

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cyberbob666 wrote:
The kickstarter page AND BGG video files section need a complete video runthrough(dice tower, Rahdo, etc..)

Thanks!
According to the KS comments they are working on it. ETA is before the end of the week.
I'm hoping they show of some prototype for the minis, or at least something of equal size to finally settle the "will the standard map he large enough" question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
visit us on www.muwins.ch
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cyberbob666 wrote:

Thanks!

Why don't you look into the earlier games of the series (1812, 1775). There is enough material around for them. Basic gameplay is the same, but they all feel very different (and psssst... they are a blast to play).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.