Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/2728438#it...

Conclusion:

Potion Explosion is intended to be a family weight game. It succeeds at this. The dispenser is neat and who doesn't like marbles crashing together? From an aesthetic viewpoint the game is a winner.

I find the game to be a little bland. The first time I played it went way too long. With repeat plays, the game shortened and I think the game is better for it. To be honest, there isn't a ton in this game. You pick a marble and place it on your potions. The trick (and possible AP) is staring at the marble dispenser and looking for which marble will create the right combination that will help you. Knowing when to use those powers doesn't hurt either.

I am not sure if this is a game you can get better at. You are sort of stuck with the marble placement on your turn so what you need may just not be there. That is fine and likely evens out over the course of a game. The game also never builds up to anything as it is the same thing over and over.

As for the good, it can be a short game. The marbles are fun and when you get a big combination is really fun. Also, when you get that perfect combination you want to stand up and scream! Those are good moments.

Overall, I think this is a fine family game. It won't knock your socks off, but it is fun. I would use it to warm up a night or maybe end on this note.

Keeper.

Components:

The components are good over all, but not great in consistency. I have a lot of partial colored marbles but I can tell what color they all are. Otherwise, I think everything holds up well. The dispenser has held up over multiple plays and it fits nicely in the game box.

Rule Book:

The rule book is pretty good. The rules are not complicated. The last page of the book has the list of all the powers for the potions for easy reference even though I wish there were player aids for all the players.

Flow of the Game:

The game is simple, but the details make it a tad more complicated than a game for non-gamers.

On your turn, you take a marble from the dispenser. If two like colored marbles smack together, then you take that color also and this continues until two unlike marbles smack together.

Then, you will have up to two potions in front of you that require certain number of marbles of certain colors. You also have a back up spot that can hold three marbles of any color.

You are trying to fill up the potions with the required number and color of marbles. Each potion is worth a number of VP and a one time power after you complete it.

The game is easy: grab a marble and put it on a potion. The trick is getting the colors you want and getting them to smack in the right combinations. Getting a lot of marbles might be helpful and it could be completely useless.

Should I buy this game?:

This game is a mixed bag for me. I think it is family weight and many families will enjoy the game. As for gamers, this game is likely for a starter game not for a main event. If playing with non gamers, I would take out the "powers" of the potions until they get the hang of the game. Otherwise, this is a game that can be played by a wide range of people. The aesthetics of the game and the fun of playing with marbles makes the game more appealing.

Keeper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.