Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I must admit, the original Zpocalypse was - as with many Greenbrier games - full of promise that didn't quite land for me. Oh, to be clear, I keep throwing money at them, because clearly they are striving for the types of games I really want to see, but yeah, it fell a little short.

So now my copy of Zpocalypse 2 has landed, the question is whether to keep the original. Initially I'd assumed yes, because the campaign said that:

Quote:
[Zpocalypse] Components (mini’s, tiles, chits, most cards) are compatible [with Zpocalypse 2]

But having torn open the new game, and devoured the rules last night, I got to the end to read:

Quote:
Most cards from Zpocalypse Classic are incompatible with Defend the Burbs.

Which leaves me with mixed feelings; hopefully whatever design intent change occurred here has made for a better sequel - after all, the original had gameplay elements that I found awkward and did not enjoy. But this also means my (overly optimistic ?) hope that backing Zpoc 2 would both give me better gameplay, as well as tons of content from the previous incarnation (which I own a ton of expansions / extras for, having picked most of it up in a big bundle) is now wrong.

So on reading, the reasons for keeping the original appear to be:
* Extra trap tokens (nothing new here, just more of them)
* Extra dice (handy, I guess)
* Use the old minis (I'd prefer the new ones, I feel)
* Classic Tiles (different board setups ?)
* A vague statement of future online content to use these components

I have the fortifications pack - which seems to be the only thing that does have a solid use in the new game - so can deal without extra trap tokens; presumably the game should come with enough of them anyway, it's a standalone game.

The extra dice would be handy, but not gutting my old copy just for them. There appear to be rules around running out of fresh zombie minis in the rulebook, so adding more minis makes it a different game, so I'll leave the old minis out of it.

Now the tiles have different art, but might make for more variety to the base game? Unsure about these. But a bunch of the old tiles made up larger buildings, I recall, which makes those less compatible (unless you just have "half the building" on the map edge. Feels like a minor gain, but nothing too exciting

So really it's just the vague statement I guess. Given the "OK, but not insane" funding on this KS, I wonder if this will really get the support it needs to make the old content useable in any way (assuming the new gameplay really works - will give it a whirl tomorrow, I hope). Would be keen for other people's input, as I missed both KS campaigns for these, so haven't been as closely following the evolution of this product, and maybe there are elements I've missed in my summary?

But right now, it's feeling like unless you plan to play "Zpocalypse Classic" then there is little reason to hold onto it just to enhance Zpoc 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We are atm going through our first mission of Zpocalypse 2, we did the prequel already, and left the game on the table after finishing our first night.
I'm liking the new rules compared to zpoc1, but I'm still experiencing some rulebook mishaps, not everything gets explained, some stuff is mentioned in the prequel rules but not the rules part, hard to lookup stuff. The neighborhood meeting feels wonky, the semi coop part is a big mistake.
But I do think there is a good game in there, but we'll have to see after some more plays.

Now if it's a hit I'm going to keep zpoc 1 and 2. Just the tiles from zpoc with the rules and components from zpoc 2 will make for some cool zpoc 1 missions.
I'm already thinking start in the bunker from zpoc 1, then escape with the shopper from zmergency, followed by a get to the house mission and after that defending it.

Now if zpoc 2 is just nice, not great but still good. Then I'm probably getting rid of al my zpoc 1 content, just keep the zpoc 2 stuff to play on occasion.

I'm pretty sure from playing so far that zpoc 2 is definitely a keeper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Barber
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Hey guys

Totally hear you on the rulebook. We've put together a Q&A on our site to clarify a few things for now, and will be working towards an updated pdf of the rules. Here's the link:

http://www.greenbriergames.com/gne/featured_item/zpocalypse-...

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K. Hickey
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Can you update us on your thoughts of integrating 1 with 2 & how it played out for you & your group? I am also very interested in knowing others thoughts on this subject, after trying to play with them. Full disclosure; I don't own the original game so I'm on the fence about investing more into it after KS-ing part 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.