Subject: Am I doing something wrong or just eager to deal damage? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Hulting
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
So, I just tried "Stone of life" with a duo consisting of the soldier and the brigand. For some reason I thought the soldier would handle damage better than he did, having a shield and all (it's not for defending I realised). Instead he got poisoned twice from the crawlers and ended up with one life, a lair with 3 lives and surrounded by 5 ranged crawlers and 3 melee. I gave up. This game is hard.

For my next try I thought I'd ask for some advice:

1. Do I have to take the acolyte to be able to heal or is there some other way?

2. Should I use the brigand for attacking simultaneously instead of sneaking around and trying to get the stash?

3. Is it correct that AP rises with each active monster group, but they don't attack until AP reaches 6 and the darkness phase kicks in?

4. On the second tile, my movement is already used as I left the former tile with the shaking ground?

Any advice for a beginner?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kelly
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Peter I will try and help you out.

1. You don't have to but you are making it difficult for yourself by not doing so (although see No 2). Once you are comfortable with the rules and the heroes decks and what to expect from them you can likely then try not using the Acolyte - the Acolyte and Soldier make a pretty good team. Another possibilty is to use the Brigand and the Archer, the Archer brings flexibilty with their fire over monsters ability and makes it easier to take the lair down, they also have a fair bit of movement so they can get out of trouble better while the Brigand sneaks about.

2. Yes, you should probably be attacking more with the Brgand, you have to balance getting the items from round the room with controlling the number of monsters, I would suggest not even thinking about the stash stuff until the lair is down. After the lair is gone no more monsters can spawn. This may well ease the damage burden the Soldier is currently suffering from.

3. Correct, so balancing which attacks or other actions you take each round becomes important, this as well as managing your threat. You have a little more leeway with playing high AP value cards though with only 2 characters.

4. Officially, no idea, but personally I play not used, less fun that way so I go with fun, and most of the time the tiles are considered to have some travel distance (out of game) built in, so for example whilst those first two tiles are placed next to each other and thematically look right joined, there is probably an off-map corridor taking you from the steps on tile 1 to the room of tile 2 (unless of course the tiles are making up a joined tile eg a 12x24 tile).

Other advice would be to grab the teaching module that goes with this Story, the only problem being it uses 3 characters but it might help.

Have fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
Also: For Poison and other Status Effects, a hero can only have one of each type, so if your hero was poisoned again while already poisoned, it doesn't stack (no extra Poison Status Effect tokens are added. In other words, during each Refresh Phase Status Effects step, the hero would only take one poison damage (until cured, and one cure would be all that was needed to clear the Poison Status Effect because the poison doesn't stack, until the hero was poisoned again after being cured).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Renwick
Australia
Avalon
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
From memory, in that first Act of SoL, you can get almost all the way around the room and pick up most of the stash without activating the crawlers. You just have to try to make sure you use an AP each cycle to avoid the loitering penalty. You should get at least one anti-venom from that haul.

Remember, almost always kill the lair first, and I wouldn't split my party. Get them both to concentrate damage on the lair.

It is a tough and surprisingly deep game. I play it slowly like a game of chess or Mage Knight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hulting
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
Khali wrote:

Other advice would be to grab the teaching module that goes with this Story, the only problem being it uses 3 characters but it might help.

Thanks for helping out, all of you! Part of the fun is of course to develop your own tactics, so I'm glad most of my ideas were valid. As my gaming time is limited (damn you lack of spare time!) I'd like to avoid a disaster next game. I did actually read the walk through you mentioned which kinda helped. I don't really like the idea of playing according to a script so I used it as reference for rules and certain cards.

Yeah, the game is slower than I thought but fun. It's hard to compare to a game like Descent as it's not as intuitive and much more about coordinating actions and not as reliant on the die rolls.

So for my next try with the same duo I will focus on taking down that Lair while handling the darkness. Second getting stash with the brigand and taking out the minions with the soldier. Wish me luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hulting
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
Jude wrote:
Also: For Poison and other Status Effects, a hero can only have one of each type, so if your hero was poisoned again while already poisoned, it doesn't stack (no extra Poison Status Effect tokens are added. In other words, during each Refresh Phase Status Effects step, the hero would only take one poison damage (until cured, and one cure would be all that was needed to clear the Poison Status Effect because the poison doesn't stack, until the hero was poisoned again after being cured).

Actually, that was a question I had after curing the first poison and then getting two more. It wasn't mentioned in the rules but I figured it most likely to not stack. In most games it doesn't but Myth isn't like most games so... Thanks for clearing that out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Belloque wrote:
Jude wrote:

Actually, that was a question I had after curing the first poison and then getting two more. It wasn't mentioned in the rules but I figured it most likely to not stack. In most games it doesn't but Myth isn't like most games so... Thanks for clearing that out!

It's on page 10 of the 2.0 rules:
Quote:
The Heroes cannot suffer from multiple instances of the same status effect unless quest or monster cards specifically state otherwise.

(Not meant as a criticism - I've missed plenty of things and keep missing them, but this is one of the things that actually are in the rules.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Belloque wrote:
3. Is it correct that AP rises with each active monster group, but they don't attack until AP reaches 6 and the darkness phase kicks in?

"active monster group" (or "monster type" as they are called in the rules) means types like tribal (all the orc-like creatures), insect etc. You don't add 1 AP for Grubbers (tribal minions) and another for Muckers (tribal captains), it's just 1 AP for both of them together. That's something I've seen done wrong, and it makes things a lot harder by adding lots of extra AP, so I thought I'd mention it, just in case.
(Bosses do add their own AP, though.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hulting
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
marble911 wrote:

It's on page 10 of the 2.0 rules:
Quote:
The Heroes cannot suffer from multiple instances of the same status effect unless quest or monster cards specifically state otherwise.

(Not meant as a criticism - I've missed plenty of things and keep missing them, but this is one of the things that actually are in the rules.)

Ah, good to know. I guess I sometime give Myth's rulebook more criticism than it deserves. Shame on me. The game is complex and there's a lot of small details to learn and look for in the rules. As some keep saying on the forum, it really is important to play it plenty before introducing new players. Otherwise one tile might take the whole evening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Chase
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
When I first started playing the soldier, I focused mainly on his actions/reactions and rarely used his interrupts. The more I've played him though, the more I've learned to appreciate how good his interrupts can be. Crawlers won't poison you, if they don't hit you . And it can be a lot of fun trying to figure out how to disrupt the darkness cycle. My favorite is to combo him with the apprentice, because of his synergy with the soldier. Getting a nice shield that increases his TN is fantastic too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.