United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes done by accident, although I hear some folks do this on purpose as a way to push the recipient to buy the base game devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No...but I've bought expansions at auction without owning the base game.

Pete (sometimes doesn't know it's an expansion until he gets home)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few year ago, I bought my parents TransAmerica. I think they enjoyed it, because later my mom saw Ticket to Ride: USA 1910 and thought it was an expansion, so she bought it.

When she realised her mistake, she then went out and bought Ticket to Ride as well!

Now I think they prefer TTR to Transamerica.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Schiavo
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Closest I have ever done is to give/receive expansions for games that are owned, but still in shrink-wrap and unplayed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wolkey
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just ordered Concordia: Salsa last week after discovering Concordia is being reprinted. Funagain, Mini Market and CoolStuff are all sold out, so I picked one up because I like expansions and have read this is a great addition to Concordia. Figured I better get one now as they are going to be highly sought after once Concordia is out again.

Amazon has 14 left in stock for $20.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morency
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've never bought an expansion I didn't own the base game for, but I did receive one in some Tanga trash back when the site was fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, half a dozen Munchin expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex M
msg tools
A good friend gave me three boxes of Dominion cards. Intrigue, Seaside and Dark Ages. He'd sold the base game some time previously and accidentally given away the Province cards with it for some reason. I had no choice but to take them because that was THREE BOXES OF DOMINION right there although I didn't know how to play it or if I'd find anyone to play with at the time, and they sat in my cupboard for an entire year.

A year later I suggested to my new girlfriend that we play because apparently Intrigue has the base cards that you need to play and it's only after getting everything out and struggling with a terribly written rule book I found out we were missing some. We improvised, of course, and I also learned that it's much, much better to learn Dominion with the base game rather than Intrigue. Regardless, we are both "intrigued" by the game and hop online to play with the base set and our current obsession with gaming is born . We've now played 100s of games of Dominion together, are proud owners of the base game with province cards (xmas present), and bought a bunch of stuff from 7 Wonders: Epic Duels, to Castles of Burgundy and Jaipur.

Not sure what the moral of this is - I've been a gamer for some years but never had cause to buy my own games as circumstances took me away from friends that I've always played with. I've had value way beyond what those expansion boxes would have been worth if I'd paid full price for them since they turned out to be the perfect gateway back into the hobby for me. I also plan to buy more

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, this past Christmas. I gave my step-son in law Dominion: Intrigue (Second Edition) not realizing it wasn't a stand alone anymore. Fortunately he already owned Dominion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.