Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J A
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Objective Card #6 : Send One Back as Warning

I drew this objective card for the second time recently, and we were uncertain about its requirements, so I thought I would post with my question. When in doubt...

I know there is already a longish thread about this card in the forum (which I read), but I think it focusses on timing, that is, when exactly it can be revealed on one’s turn (the ruling by the designer was either after a top row Move action OR a bottom-row action).

My question, however, concerned the requirements of this objective. Consider the following 2 situations:

a. I move a combat unit into a hex that contains at least 1 opponent worker; the enemy worker(s) is forced to retreat; I have 7 or more Power at the time.

b. I move a combat unit into a hex that contains enemy combat units units and at least 1 worker. Combat ensues, I win; the enemy units are forced to retreat. After combat resolution, I have 7 or more Power.

Does only (a) satisfy the objective requirements of the « Send One Back as Warning » card, or do either (a) or (b) satisfy this card’s requirements.

On the one hand, the phrasing of the card (« still have at least 7 power ») suggests to me that I’ve just spent power to resolve combat, which we thought implied the requirement was (b).

On the other, the caption (« send one back as warning ») and the illustration on the card to me suggests (a); a lone worker being forced to retreat from his land by a patrol of Saxons, with no signs of battle.

Thxs for your help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
a) or b) are fine. "Still have at least 7 power" only creates the obvious requirement of needing 7 points, the "still" is just to indicate that if you were involved in combat before forcing the worker to retreat then you have to have 7 power at the end of the combat (not just at the beginning) to achieve the objective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thxs Reverend for your prompt answer and explanations. You really are the rules authority around here, after Mr. Stegmaier himself, of course!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylusboy wrote:
Thxs Reverend for your prompt answer and explanations. You really are the rules authority around here, after Mr. Stegmaier himself, of course!

I don't know if I would go that far, I just spend a lot of time here on the geek (and happen to love Scythe)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm always happy to see the Reverend answer a question, as I know it's in good hands!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.