Splice» Forums » Rules

Subject: Does a line with no red marble grant a win? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi,

It seems to me there is a difference between the rules as stated here and what is written in the Shibumi rule book: in the latter it is specified that a winning line must contain 'at least one of each' colour amongst the friendly one and the neutral one, whereas here we can read that 'the winning line must contain at least one non-red ball'.

I guess, from the other threads that rule book is correct and BGG lacks precision, am I right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eobllor wrote:
Hi,

It seems to me there is a difference between the rules as stated here and what is written in the Shibumi rule book: in the latter it is specified that a winning line must contain 'at least one of each' colour amongst the friendly one and the neutral one, whereas here we can read that 'the winning line must contain at least one non-red ball'.

I guess, from the other threads that rule book is correct and BGG lacks precision, am I right?

FWIW the instruction sheet that comes (or used to come) with Shibumi says "the winning line must contain at least one non-red ball."

Perhaps the rule was changed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, I based myself on the rule book available at nestorgames.com. But, going through your earlier exchange with Néstor it seems to me finally that

- a red marble is not necessary to win (contrary to what is written in the on-line rule book);
- a line of 1 at the top is a win (except if red).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The book rules where mistakenly changed when editing and have now become the official ones. So a single non-red marble at the apex is not a win.

This, in fact, changes the gameplay quite a bit.

I hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nestorgames wrote:
The book rules where mistakenly changed when editing and have now become the official ones.

Aha! So that explains the mystery!

Did you find that you serendipitously liked the mistaken version better than the original?

Or did you find that both versions seemed similarly good, but simply decided that you didn't want the book to have the wrong rule, so you officially changed to the book's rule for that reason?

PS: After playing it only the original way for over 5 years, my brain may have a hard time remembering the new way...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
nestorgames wrote:
The book rules where mistakenly changed when editing and have now become the official ones.

Aha! So that explains the mystery!

Did you find that you serendipitously liked the mistaken version better than the original?

Or did you find that both versions seemed similarly good, but simply decided that you didn't want the book to have the wrong rule, so you officially changed to the book's rule for that reason?

PS: After playing it only the original way for over 5 years, my brain may have a hard time remembering the new way...

I prefer the one in the book, as with the BGG rules the second player had too much advantage, IMO.

In fact (now that I remember) the original rules were intended to be as the ones in the book, but I made a mistake writting them on BGG. But when testing with Cameron we used the right rules, that ended up in the book. Then I totally forgot about the description on BGG.

Now changing the description on BGG....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.